What's new

Newbie - thoughts on supplies?

Hey all, just getting started in this. Been cartridge shaving my whole life and finally realized there had to be something better. I've researched the last couple weeks and just starting to realize how much info there really is here. I know there's a million opinions and no "right" answer, but feel free to let me know what you think, especially w/ the perspective that this is for a (almost complete) newbie:

Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blades: Sampler pack, but I'll make sure I try some Feathers and Astras
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic 24mm
Soaps: Tabac, Haslinger, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Barrister and Mann (is it possible to get small samples of some of these?)

I still need to find a good bowl, and maybe a stand... but that's the stuff I think I've settled on, unless I get some suggestions here advising against it.

Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
bowl - just use whatever until you're comfortable with it. You might find face or hand lathering to be what you want to do, or lathering on the soap.

You seem to have a handle on it. A bowl is more of a personal preference, just find on you like or five. You will also need eight or ten more razors..............lol

Looks like you have made a great start. A ceramic bowl from one of your local stores will work fine as a lather bowl.

Looks like some nice choices to start your journey. Welcome to the addiction. It starts as a less expensive way to take care of a necessary chore and becomes an enjoyable treat every day that costs more then anticipated........

On the soaps - you might put a request in the Marketplace WTB/WTT to see if someone that's a heavy user of those would be willing to send you a sample. Don't neglect ARKO. The smell is offputting to many people here, but it IS a good shave soap that's hard to use wrong.

A mug/bowl is really a personal preference thing. I use 2, a larger Godiva coffee mug and a porcelain ramekin. I went through a dozen or so mugs until found the one that perfectly fit my taste. The mug holds a large puck with little room to spare, the ramekin, I press croaps into the bottom and it is the right size(for me) to whip up a decent lather without making a mess everywhere with my Pro 48.

May I stress ... "A cheap bowl". Until you know you like bowl lathering; go to the goodwill or dollar tree for a salsa bowl, to see if you want to invest more money.

Thanks all, loving the quick responses! I definitely get the advice about the bowl, that's mostly why I hadn't really put any time into selecting one yet. Not too worried about that part of it...

But the razor, blades, brush, and soap choices seem fairly solid for a beginner starting out?

Thanks all, loving the quick responses! I definitely get the advice about the bowl, that's mostly why I hadn't really put any time into selecting one yet. Not too worried about that part of it...

But the razor, blades, brush, and soap choices seem fairly solid for a beginner starting out?
Better choices then what I started with 8 years ago

+1, but add 22 years. :)

You might not want to work with so many soaps. Maybe just the MWF; it has as many followers as Arko or Mug. 1 blade, 1 soap, 1 razor, 1 month :)
Yeah I know... I'm trying to filter those down. I'm just not too sure what scents I'll like, and I don't want to be stuck putting something on my face that I can't stand.

Williams has a very neutral scent, but you have do some preparations to make it lather well. Arko is like strong Ivory with some citrus of some sort. Basically, it smells like someone just scrubbed a bathroom down. People here liken it to 'urinal puck'. The scent doesn't last through a face rinse. I've never touched Mitchell's, or much of any others, other than VDH and one Italian Barber soap that I find obnoxious. VDH has no real odour as such.

@dajoip you seem to have a handle on most of what you're looking for. Westcoastshaving.com and also Maggard Razors - Straight Razor Restoration, Custom Scales and Wet Shaving Products they have some samples of different soaps and creams. I am also running a PIF on a set of captains choice creams right now. Feel free to stop on over and check it out. Here's the link
Small Sample PIF

good luck and I hope you find everything you want! I did the same thing as you about a year ago and it has become quite the hobby/ addiction!

@dajoip you seem to have a handle on most of what you're looking for. Westcoastshaving.com and also Maggard Razors - Straight Razor Restoration, Custom Scales and Wet Shaving Products they have some samples of different soaps and creams. I am also running a PIF on a set of captains choice creams right now. Feel free to stop on over and check it out. Here's the link
Small Sample PIF

good luck and I hope you find everything you want! I did the same thing as you about a year ago and it has become quite the hobby/ addiction!

Thanks for the heads up, very generous of you! Just replied over there. :)

Great start! My only suggestion is to start with Tabac as your soap. It's among the easiest lathering solutions out there, in my experience. B&M is close. MWF can be much more difficult to lather, from what I hear (although I've not tried it).

You probably have more than enough information now, but I would also suggest TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) Sandalwood shaving cream in the plastic tub. I started out without a bowl and this was an awesome cream to just take a hot soaked brush and shake off a bit of water and put some cream on the tips and lather right on your face. It was my first Wet Shaving cream and I have tried dozens now and it is still one of my favorites and lathers in a bowl great too! Very easy to use and highly recommend starting with a soft cream like this vs. a hard puck of soap.
proxy.php

Thanks for the heads up, very generous of you! Just replied over there. :)

No problem! Also, just my opinion but a bowl isn't really neccassary. I used a simple coffee cup to soap my brush for the longest time and only just recently tried out a bowl (Captains Choice was running a sale so I just knew it was a sign :001_tt2:). the Merkur is a nice choice. I have one and I have loved it! I know it's already been said and you're already looking at it but a sample pack is the best way to go. You can find them pretty cheap from the sites I already gave you. Other than that we're always here to help! I hope this wasn't to broad. Just let me know if there is any other way I can help!

Top Bottom