What's new

Newbie straight user

This may belong on the newbie forum, but I thought I would try here first. I'm looking to get started using a straight and I've never done it before. I've watched countless videos and read many posts here on b&b so I think I know how to do it. I'm asking you all, what would be a good straight to start with?
thanks in advance for the tips

Derek

Go with Whipped Dog. Your first straight needs, above all, to be sharp, and Larry puts a mean edge on a straight. Once you get the hang of using a straight, you can figure out your preferences.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Go vintage. You get more razor for your money. The quick and dirty answer: www.whippeddog.com . You will get a high quality but much loved and used and maybe not so pretty razor from the golden age of straight shaving, for a very low price, and it will be honed and ready to shave. Get the poor man strop kit, too. The strop is cheesy but cheap and you will probably hack it up pretty good while you are learning to strop, so no sense buying a $40 to $100 strop right away. You will want a brush too, and I recommend a badger brush. Larry sells them, too, for a good price.

Here is an offer. Recently I sent out a straight with strop for a free trial to a fellow member here who wanted to try a straight for the first time. He just sent me a note saying after trying it that it wasn’t for him and he was sending it back. It ought to arrive today and I’d be glad to forward it to you. I’ll hone it, disinfect it first and let you give it a try for no money. If you like it we can come up with a very reasonable amount for the straight and strop together.

Actually this particular straight has some features helpful for a fellow starting out. Jimps on top and bottom of the tang for a secure grip and a round tip (not square) for getting started in straights. The spot for your thumb is well indented too plus it is a vintage straight with that lovable patina. Shaves like a dream as well.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Here is an offer. Recently I sent out a straight with strop for a free trial to a fellow member here who wanted to try a straight for the first time. He just sent me a note saying after trying it that it wasn’t for him and he was sending it back. It ought to arrive today and I’d be glad to forward it to you. I’ll hone it, disinfect it first and let you give it a try for no money. If you like it we can come up with a very reasonable amount for the straight and strop together.

Actually this particular straight has some features helpful for a fellow starting out. Jimps on top and bottom of the tang and a round tip (not square) for getting started in straights. The spot for your thumb is well indented too plus it is a vintage straight with that lovable patina. Shaves like a dream too.

If that is who I am thinking it is, too bad it wasn't his cup of tea.

Thanks for all the info. And Captain, that sounds awesome! I found a few today at an antique shop, but none were shave ready and that might be a bit much for me to tackle not knowing if I like it yet.

Thanks for all the info. And Captain, that sounds awesome! I found a few today at an antique shop, but none were shave ready and that might be a bit much for me to tackle not knowing if I like it yet.

~~~you wont ever buy a straight razor from an antique store shave ready. If the place is local to you and you see something you like, take some pics of it and post them on here and these guys will be happy to offer an opinin as to the worth based opn price, condition...if you take good pics, but cloudy fuzzy lookin pics are useless

I have an antique store near to me (1/2 mile away?) that sells some decent straight for little money on occasion...it's worth your while to see what they have but if you're new to this, take a pic and ask here as to the worthiness

FWIW I honed a few straights for a guy recently, a n00b and one of the three he bought was a nice razor, at one time. The rust was so heavy on the edge it was completely useless, except for the nice set of schales and he paid a pretty penny for it too...got it off the bay'...he did the roundy round with the seller and ebay and got nowhere so a word to the wise...if you don't know what you are doing and don't want to get burned, take some pics of a prospect (razor) and put them out to this list for opinions, and take good quality photos. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Thanks Jake. That's what I was worried about more so than the blade being shave ready. He had several, so I may run back there in the next couple days or so and snap some pics.

Top Bottom