What's new

Newbie - stick with Feather or back to Derby?

I've started out with Derby blades and despite a bit of tugging on the first pass they seemed to do a pretty good job.

On the way home I popped in the chemist and picked up a pack of 10 Feather blades. Seeing as they are the only easily available blades here I thought I should give them a go.

The first pass with the Feather was fine and I thought it was easy to use, but the second pass was harder. My cheeks are now really smooth but round my mouth and on my neck I found the blade difficult to get comfortable with and got quite a few weepers, and it's not so smooth

I'm wondering whether I should persevere with the Feather or go back to the Derby's for awhile. Any advice?

Cheers,
Simon

Order a sampler and try a number of blades. I really like the Astra SPs. Not as sharp as the Feathers, but very smooth and less than half the price.

Welcome Aboard! I have used both of those blades and I am not a big fan of either. If I had to pick one of the two blades than the Feather gets the nod.

Are those your only choices? I'd second the blade sampler suggestion, if possible. So many great blades out there, and you may just find the perfect blade for you in a sampler.

A lot of people have commented that the first shave with a Feather can be unforgiving. You could give it another try with the same blade after your face has had time to recover. I must admit that I don't get on with them. Only tried a couple of Derby's so far and I can only get 1 decent shave out of them.
Looks like a sampler is the way forward.

Although I am not a fan of the Feather brand of blades, I recommend you stick with any brand and go through at least three or four blades. Feathers are very sharp and not forgiving. Any mistake and you pay the consequences. As a result you found you got a good shave on the area of your face - your cheeks - that is easier to shave but got a less desirable shave on the tricky areas to shave - around your mouth and neck.

So, if you want to try additional blades that's fine. Just keep in mind as your technique improves the shave you get from a blade will be a lot different than when you first started out.

Are those your only choices?

For the moment yes. The Derby blades came with my Edwin Jagger razor and the Feathers are the only blades I can find available locally - I'm in Japan.

A lot of people have commented that the first shave with a Feather can be unforgiving. You could give it another try with the same blade after your face has had time to recover.

This is what I was wondering - whether it was worth a second attempt with the Feather. I'll give it a go next time I shave.

And I've followed the general advice and ordered some sampler packs, but they will take time to get here so I'm stuck with the Derby's or Feathers for now.

Thanks to everyone for your replies,
Simon

I'm wondering whether I should persevere with the Feather or go back to the Derby's for awhile. Any advice?
Sounds like you should try some other blades. You can revisit these once your technique improves to see if your experience differs.

The feathers might be a little much for your Jagger head. I would suggest that you stick with them until all 5 (or 10) are used up and work on your technique until you can get close comfortable shaves with them.

Try stretching your skin with your other hand and use short rapid motions trying to keep the same razor angle on each stroke.

If after the full package is used up if you still have irritation, move on to another brand of blade. The feathers seem to work best in very mild razors (their AS-D1 stainless razor and the old Gillette Tech razor are ones that come to mind first)

Welcome to B&B. i have never liked either of those blades, but if you only have the two, i would stick with the Derbys. Get yourself a sampler pack.

I started with the Derby, but now rarely use them. Everyone has different experiences, but I get on fine with a Feather in my EJ89. Technique is key - not only in the angle and pressure of the blade on your face but also in face prep and lather etc.

Make sure you allow enough time for your shave. Take time to soften the beard (After I have steamed my face with a very hot flannel - or better still had a shower - or better still laid like a crocodile in a bath with just my nose poking out of the water, I use a pre-shave and find it helps). There is a lot more to lathering than I first thought (watch Mantic and others on YouTube) and again, it takes time to get it right. Resist the temptation of shaving your face where the lather has been almost completely removed.

Everyone's whiskers grow in different directions and while there are some basic rules (WTG; XTG; ATG etc), knowing which direction the grain is for different parts of the face takes time and practice (weeks not days).

I think what I'm saying is that it may be the blade, but that is only one component of a good shave.

We all started with weepers - and worse. It's a right of passage that means you are are normal! Welcome to the forum and good luck with mastering the fine art of shaving.

+1 on What Rivendell said...

And...Stick with the Feathers :devil2: (Once you get a hang on the technique those blades will provide with unbeliavable close and comfortable shaves) My first times with my Feather non-folding razor geared with Feather blades, there was a lot of blood, okey some nicks and cuts (but it felt like a massacre) But now I cant see myself using a DE/shavette/feather- razor with other blades than the Feathers.

Good luck!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Feathers are a little too sharp for me, I do like me the Astras sp and Gillette Blues. WHy not pick up a sampler pack and try a few out?

I had many excellent shaves with the ASTRA blades - they feel like medium area between derby and feathers. (I have since gone to the Feathers exclusively and am really happy with them, but it took a couple of months of shaves to get the technique down)

Yesterdays shave was not so good, so this morning tried my second shave with the Feather. What a difference! I 'd acquired a large dose of respect for the blade and was very careful not to press, and I only got 2 very minor weepers which stopped very soon. But the results are great - my latest best ever shave! I think a light touch is important, more so than with the Derby's.

However, while they are easily available here they still aren't the cheapest option at about 40yen (50cents) per blade. So I will still try some others out. Looking forward to getting my sampler packs.

Cheers everyone.
Simon

I just started using a Feather blade from my sampler and I had the same first experience. I stuck with the blade each cut better and better with every shave. It became more forgiven but still cut like the first shave. On my 4th or 5th shave. Keep with it you won't regret it.:thumbup:

My cheeks are now really smooth but round my mouth and on my neck I found the blade difficult to get comfortable with and got quite a few weepers, and it's not so smooth

Cheers,
Simon

Ever think of getting a second razor handle and stocking one with the feather for the cheeks and neck and one with the Derby for around the mouth? # of shaves should extend because you are not using either on your entire face.

Most importantly its how you feel. Just dont stick with feathers cause many here like them. Use what works for you. I for instance think that I get longer life and a closer shave with Feathers. I like them. I also do well with the Isreali Super Chrome at almost half the cost of Feather. Derby's are ok to me and will use them cause they were in my sampler pack. I did not like (or they did not like me) Personna Reds and Astras. Gilette's were a take it or leave it.

Dont feel that you have to keep up with the Jonses. There are many here who claim great shaves with less expensive blades. My neighbor uses the CVS brand that we can find locally (I think they are made by Personna). Feather's are very common in many stores where you live. Here in the US not so much.

If it takes two different blades to make you feel great after a shave than so be it. Its just a tad extra work with cleaning.

- MIchael

Feathers are great but when you think you are using the lightest pressure possible with them, use half of that amount of pressure. They are pretty unforgiving but really are awesome once you get used to using them. They really highlight other problems like lather building, etc.

Crystal blades work well for me. I sort of have a few blades depending on my patience/wakefulness state. Feathers are for when I am really "with it" and in no hurry at all. Crystals are for other times, much smoother, less irritating and sharp. I can get smoother with feathers but crystals are very good go to blade IMO.

For me, derbys just don't work. They feel dull to me, or like they are pulling my hair out of my face.

Top Bottom