What's new

Newbie starter deal

I don't know if this should go here or in the Shopping & Deals forum; someone let me know if this should be moved.

I don't know if this has already been shared by anyone or not, but I received an email from Thompson Cigar advertising this newbie starter deal. Actually, the email originally offered it with a 20-count cherrywood finish wooden humidor, but their site says they're temporarily out of the humidor. Having no equipment currently, I thought the humidor would be a better choice for me than a travel case. But, they're hedging on offering a rain check for when the humidor is back in stock, so I haven't pulled the trigger on this.

Anyway, being a complete newbie, I was wondering about the cigars included in this deal (either this deal or this one). Most of the comments say that, while the cigars are not the greatest, they're not the worst either, and they're great for newbies. I'm just wondering if you all concur.

Thanks! :001_smile

Stay away from Thompson Cigars, and any of their "specials". Just my opinion from personal experience. Try cigars international or cigarbid.com for good starter packages, never had a problem with them and they don't harrass me unmercifully with phone calls and e-mail for 6 months after a purchase.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I am on my phone and the thompsons page was taking too long to load so I didn't look at it, but I would look around before you buy from thompsons. One you get in their system they have a reputation of unwanted solicitation, and constantly trying to push their own cigar labels on you. Also the #1 rule for humidor buying is buy one bigger than you think you will need. When you hear a humidor will will hold a certain number of cigars that is almost certainly corona sized cigars so if you smoke robustos, toros or other wide cigars it will hold less than the 20 or 50 count.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, Thompson was being rather adamant about not giving a raincheck for the deal with the humidor; they were really pushing me to take the special as offered with the travel case. I felt like I was being the victim of a classic bait-and-switch; perhaps that isn't too far from the truth.

Thanks again!

Haven't bought Thompsons cigars so can't really comment. I did however pick up one of their 40ct Cherry humidors albeit at an antique store locally unused, for $12 I couldn't pass it up. It is a decent humidor and after seasoning and stabilizing has been pretty good. It would hold more than 40 corona sized sticks as I have had 32 corona & robustos in it and still had room for another 20+ corona sized sticks. I don't know if I would pay the $45 dollars they want as I think I have seen some others for less that look comparable.

Jay

Thompson humidors are decent but their cigars are nothing to write home. I have not bought cigars in some time but I used to buy from JR cigars

Al raz.

My tobacco usage is pretty much limited to pipe smoking now, but when I was into cigars big-time, I would always get them from Mike’s Cigars in Florida. They are the best mail order outfit I’ve come across. They carry all the national brands, plus their own “house brands”. I always thought their prices were reasonable and their customer service and shipping was excellent. They run “specials” all the time .

And BTW, I am not affiliated with Mike’s other than by being a customer.

Freehand

I got one from Thompson a few years ago and like it. I like their cigars to and have not had an issue with them being a PITA but I have only ordered from them twice and don't know much about cigars....

if anyone tries to "pressure" me into a sale i alyways walk away.
Yeah, me too. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger.

Stay away from Thompson Cigars
I would look around before you buy from thompsons.
I like their cigars to and have not had an issue with them being a PITA
I do appreciate the heads up, but I'm also a little disappointed. Right now, I'm researching/sampling small to medium aromatic/pipe tobacco cigars, and Thompson has a line that really seems to fit the bill: Thompson Brittany Panatelas.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any issues with them, Paul, and that you like their cigars. I might not write them off completely yet, but I'm sure I have plenty of time. I'm finding that there are many more cigars out there to sample than I ever expected! But, I'll keep them in mind.

I did however pick up one of their 40ct Cherry humidors albeit at an antique store locally unused, for $12 I couldn't pass it up.
Thompson humidors are decent but their cigars are nothing to write home.
I just picked up this humidor from Amazon. Warehouse Deals (Amazon's return/refurb division) had a "Used - Like New" one for $8.50, and I have free shipping w/Prime. I stuck it in my cart to sleep on it, and it was gone the next day. When I emailed customer service to see if they ever expected to get any more, they offered me a new one for the same price! Sure, it's an entry level humidor with a low end humidifier and hygrometer, but you can't beat the price!

I have not bought cigars in some time but I used to buy from JR cigars
when I was into cigars big-time, I would always get them from Mike’s Cigars in Florida.
Thanks for the pointers, gents - greatly appreciated. Wow - it seems to me like online cigar retailers are multiplying like rabbits, too!

One thing to look for in these inexpensive humidors is that they close with a wooosh after they are charged. If yours does not, you may want to returned as it will be better called a dryidor :mad3:. My first one was like this :wink2:. Good luck!!!

Al raz.

I'm not particularly impressed with the Thompson selection, especially since I'm not familiar with any of the labels they listed. Also, if you were going to pull the trigger, get the travel case. Anytime you see a dealer willing to give away a wood humidor, it's likely that the box is made of inferior woods that won't set up properly and won't keep the relative humidity correctly. In the long run, you're better off investing in a quality humidor on its own. Mako mentioned size and Alraz mentioned the "woosh" of a good quality humidor. Both are exactly right.

Over time, you're going to collect cigars that you really like. Some of them will likely be expensive, and you'll only buy a few at a time. Perhaps you might get your hands on a few Cubans. You want to store your beauties in the best environment, so invest in a quality box. You can get nice-sized ones built with excellent materials for a reasonable price if you shop around.

Patronizing the other mail-order and internet sites is also a good idea, and most of the good ones have been mentioned. But don't forget to pay a visit to your local cigar shop, if you have one nearby. Good shops have well-stocked humidors and owners who really care about their product and their customers. You pay a bit more, but it's sometimes worth it to be able to step inside, see what you're buying and then selec a few of each of your favorites. A few at a time will stock up that new humidor in quick order.

I have a great shop about a mile from my house in Florida, and I regularly visit there for "refills".

But don't forget to pay a visit to your local cigar shop, if you have one nearby. Good shops have well-stocked humidors and owners who really care about their product and their customers. You pay a bit more, but it's sometimes worth it to be able to step inside, see what you're buying and then selec a few of each of your favorites. A few at a time will stock up that new humidor in quick order.

+1 Absolutely!!! your local tobacconist can point you in the right direction on what type of smoke your are looking for. They are the ones who go to trade shows ... have smoker events ... introduce new products to their customers ... and hopefully are quite knowledgeable on the complete picture. PLUS its always great to support the local businesses. Especially now.

OK, so CI is offering some introductory deals, and I'd like to get your opinions on them.

The Po' Boy II 30-Churchill Sampler is a sampler of 30 Churchills for $30. That price already raises a red flag for me. Are these decent newbie smokes, or are they just dumping their "unsmokables?"

I swear this Top-Shelf Glass Top Humi Sampler, a sampler of 10 sticks with a 50-count glass top humidor was being offered for $30, too. (Heck, they sell the humidor separately for $40!) In fact, it even states in the description that they're offering it for $30. But, today when I went to look at it, it's ringing up at $135! :scared:

I'm sure I could talk customer service into selling this to me at the advertised $30 if I wanted to. But, I'd love to hear your opinions of the cigars included.

Thanks! :001_smile

Cigar.com, Cigars International, and Famous Smoke Shop are my go-to stores for cigars; they've never done me wrong

Top Bottom