What's new

Newbie shaving injury

I don't want to embarrass myself, but I do want to see if others have had this problem.

I've shaved with a straight for about six weeks and concentrate so hard on the angle, the technique, the pressure, and the lather that I pulled away the right hand and cut the surface of my left thumb down to the tendon (four stitches).

I still don't know how my left hand was so out of position.

I am very determined to get this straight shaving down cleanly and safely but it seems like a real unusual freak injury. I guess the fact that this happened has made me not want to give up even more.

What bothers me is that I thought I was being careful. One factor in my clumsiness is that I want to learn to do this right. There are often times when I am inclined to shave with my left hand on the right side of my face (I am left-handed), but I am adamant in wanting to do the right side with right hand and left side with left hand. I have a tendency to get crossed up, realize I'm using the wrong hand, then think I hurt myself in the process of switching.

Anyway, this is a forum designed to help newbies. I'll supply the perspiration if you will help with the inspiration and insight.

I just wanted to know this kind of mistake is as rare as it seems.

I think sometimes we get so focused on not cutting our face, chin, neck, etc that we forget that we have fingers, nostrils and earlobes. :blush: Any cut is a reminder that we are shaving with a very sharp, open blade that require attention at all times. Sometimes, I get a little complacent and forget this. FWIW, my worst straight cut was on my thumb. It was a pretty bad cut that I got while cleaning off my blade. :001_rolle

Last edited:
I hope that you can continue with your straight razor journey- I'm convinced that it is worthwhile. We are both at about the same stage- although I learnt to use my non-dominant hand while shaving with a DE and now it is second nature when I pick up my straight. Stay careful- good technique is your friend.

I think sometimes we get so focused on not cutting our face, chin, neck, etc that we forget that we have fingers, nostrils and earlobes. :blush: Any cut is a reminder that we are shaving with a very sharp, open blade that require attention at all times. Sometimes, I get a little complacent and forget this. FWIW, my worst straight cut was on my thumb. It was a pretty bad cut that I got while cleaning off my blade. :001_rolle

Pretty much what he said. Interestingly, I think my worst cut was my thumb as well. Personally, I developed a quirky grip where the scales are three quarters closed (it's an ATG grip). When I go to the standard three quarters open grip, I usually push on the spine with my thumb. Well, not paying close enough attention, I pressed on the heel of the blade one time. Pushed the blade almost a half an inch into my thumb (yes, it was splitting my nail too) before I realized I did it. Sharp blade? Yeah.

oddly enough, my worst injury came while stropping. i have the filly, and without any sort of separate handle, my fingers are rather close the the blade on the return stroke. i caught my index finger once as i was flipping the razor over. not a huge cut, but stupid nonetheless. :tongue_sm

THis is actually the most common faux pas with beginners. In in an effort to not cut their face no attention is paid to the where the blade is in relation to the hands... and whamo!!. you get serious cut on your fingers. No worries this too shall pass. Be aware of the blade at all times. And do not feel bad we have all had such experiences. :blush:

Thanks for pointing out these dangers when using Straight Razors.

I'm just starting my journey with straights and whilst I've not cut my fingers or hands as yet it's always best to be forewarned of the dangers.

Having said that on the first time with my straight I did dig the square point into my face when trying line it up for a pass. Ouch, I certainly felt that one and drew some blood. Luckily it was a clean cut and has since healed and did not scar so I'm happy about that.

I guess we all need to go slow and be careful. Respect the blade and all that :laugh:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You all right, that's the only thing that matters!

Any pictures of the injury?

I usually manage to cut my face only when it happens but nothing serious, weepers mostly...

Hi,
This is a timely thread for me. I sliced into the tip of my left thumb yesterday evening. My thumb and the razor came together right around countertop level when I was looking in the mirror. I turned my head to see if I'd gotten all the lather close to my right ear, and the little bit of shoulder movement was enough to give me a 1 cm cut right on the tip of the thumb.

It was surprising and humbling at the same time. After I got the bleeding stopped I decided that a one pass shave would be enough for the moment. I guess that was about my 25th str8 razor shave.

Lesson learned: keep the razor within my field of vision (and awareness) at all times.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom