What's new

Newbie seeking advice

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and a future wet-shaver (currently electric). I was fascinated by all your stories on this forum, very impassioned and inspiring.

So, I have decided to try wet-shaving, and I'm browsing for a nice set with all the needed: brush, razor (thinking to begin with a Mach3 type at first), bowl, and a nice stand for those. I was pondering on something like this Shavemac <<http://www.shavemac.com/index.php?lang=en&area=men&sel=3&cat=3&product=498&prod_id=2>>, but I am very open to suggestions and advices, especially on brands and types of brushes.

Thank you to all.

That is a very nice setup. You could get as good or better stuff that didn't looks as nice together for much cheaper though.
If you are looking for a nice "set" that should work very nicely.

Welcome to B&B! Shavemac is a great product and you should have no problems with it. I have a couple of Shavemac sets and like each very much.

Thank you for the reply. I 'll keep you up-to-date on the progress one I decide on a set.

Is shaving with a DE so much closer or comfortable? Or what is the reason for preferring a DE?

Is shaving with a DE so much closer or comfortable? Or what is the reason for preferring a DE?

With an M3 the first blade cuts the hair and takes off all the shaving cream. The other two blades pass over un-lubricated skin. I got razor burn on my neck a few times a week. Now with a DE you re-apply cream or soap after every pass. I haven't had razor burn sense.

At the risk of getting flamed, I will go out on a limb and say that, using a brush and a good soap or cream (versus crap in a can) will dramatically improve the shaves you get from any cartridge razor.

With a few exceptions, the stuff in a can is just crap and doesn't lubricate properly or treat your skin well. The proof of the first point is the fact that razor manufacturers now put lubricating strips on razors - why would this be necessary if the crap in a can was good enough on its own.

While I get better (as in closer and longer lasting) shaves from my DE or straight, I do use a cartrige on occasion (when I'm in a rush, travelling, at the gym, etc.) - however I always use a good soap or cream.

The reason why a lot of folks get better results from a DE is that you have more control and get less irritation. The cartridge razors operate on a lift and cut system where the blades are designed to lift the hair so successive blades can cut it below the skin level. This give a lot of folks irritation, ingrown hairs, etc.

So, by all means, switch from canned goo to a brush and soap/cream - you'll notice a huge difference, not to mention that its a good way to dip your toe into the world of wetshaving in that you can deal with learning how to make a lather with a brush without having to worry about your shaving technique/nicks so much. However, I bet we see you asking for recommendations for a good first DE before too long:wink:.

Have fun and good luck!

At the risk of getting flamed, I will go out on a limb and say that, using a brush and a good soap or cream (versus crap in a can) will dramatically improve the shaves you get from any cartridge razor.

I agree I used an M3 along with a brush for about a year before I bought my first DE. Now I only shave with a DE and I am loving it.

Thanks to all for the answers. I will try first with a M3, and at some point I wil try a DE.

Senior users, comment on this if I'm wrong.
To get you a bit on the way with choosing you soap or cream: you can read the forums (and I suggest you do), but don't get lost in them, for every soap or cream has its fans and people who hate it.

First: a soap will give a more slippery (mostly called "slick" on the forum) shave which makes shaving a bit easier. However, they are a bit harder to lather (amount of soap, number of swirls, amount of water,...) and may take longer to lather too. I'm relatively new and got it right after a few turns, so nu real issue there.
A cream will give you lather which acts more like a pillow (mostly called "couchony" or something like that :001_smile). Also, I find them to be a bit more hydrating and easier to lather. Hydration will be given to you by the aftershave balm or moisturizer (see the tutorials) so that's not a big reason to dump soaps.
All in all, you might want to start with creams and get your lathering technique right (until you do, use only one cream; it doesn't take that long, don't worry), but don't wait too long to use a soap and see if you like it
about brands, well, these are the ones most mentionned: Truefitt and Hill, Taylor (of old bond street), Trumper, Proraso, Crabtree & Evelyn, The Bodyshop, Art of Shaving,... Other cream will probably work very well too. If you doubt, go and see the reviewsection. It has a lot of comments on lots of soaps and creams (but once again, every soap has it's fans and people who don't like it).
Don't be afraid to try out a few, BUT STICK WITH ONE UNTIL YOU'RE LATHERING TECHNIQUE IS GOOD. The reason for this is that different soaps lather differently and a lot of change will only cause you trouble while learning to lather up.

Second: the brush. I started out with a cheap cream and a cheap brush. Shaving didn't work very well, and it turned out it was more due to the brush then to the cream, so go for the Shavemac you plan to buy (or at least a badger brush. some people prefer boar, but most don't, they're much stiffer and not so nice/more scrubbing to the face). I got a Muhle Pinsel and an Edwin Jagger Super after that, a serious improvement.

third: read the tutorials and look for 'mantic59' on youtube. They will get you far an just about every concept of shaving. (Mantic is also active on this forum BTW)

fourth: use this forum :biggrin: We were all beginners one day, asked questions and read a lot.

good luck, and welcome to the forum
Ben

linuxbriel Nice Post.

I will second that creams are easier to lather. Although soap is harder I like them much better because of the slickness. Another soap you didn't mention is Mama Bear's.

I say get the badger brush. I too have a Muhle Pinsel brush and love it.

linuxbriel Nice Post.

I will second that creams are easier to lather. Although soap is harder I like them much better because of the slickness. Another soap you didn't mention is Mama Bear's.

I say get the badger brush. I too have a Muhle Pinsel brush and love it.

:001_smile
I too start to prefer soaps over creams, but to start I think cream is best for it's easyness. Also, some keep preferrring cream...

It would be impossible to mention ALL of the good soaps and creams. I did forget mama bear, however, is it available in Romania where Random comes from (after all, he's the one needing it)?

Welcome to B&B enjoy :thumbup1:

shavemacs are very good brushes a little pricey perhaps but with care it will most likely outlast you, good luck

Thanks to all, and especially linuxbriel, very informative post. I was planning to go with a badger brush. I am currently hesitating between Shavemac and Muhle (they both are in Germany, much closer to my country than USA, and much cheaper than UK).

Also, I was planning to begin with a cream, and maybe graduating to a soap after learning the technique. And maybe in the future trying a DE razor, as most of you seem to prefer this kind.

Thanks again.

You can't do better than a Shavemac when considering price and quality; good choice.

I think you should try Speick for your cream. It makes a very wet cushioned lather that is great for softened the beard. I would disclaim however that you will probably be a bit disappointed in a lot of high-end creams after using it. It's really an outstanding product.

I second the notion of trying a DE; a cartridge razor will cause your skin more harm than a DE, and is more expensive. I assure that any fears you have about a DE have no basis, and would be glad to help you assuage them.

Welcome to B&B!

I agree that good soap/cream and technique will improve any shave including cartridge. However, if you're thinking about getting into DE shaving, I might skip the M3. Why get into bad habits with a cartridge that you'll have to break transitioning to DE if that's where you want to go.

Not saying you should, just saying that you should figure out whether or not DEs appeal to you.

With an M3 the first blade cuts the hair and takes off all the shaving cream. The other two blades pass over un-lubricated skin. I got razor burn on my neck a few times a week. Now with a DE you re-apply cream or soap after every pass. I haven't had razor burn sense.

I've heard that theory. I agree the M3 is more likely to cause razor burn, but I don't think this is this reason. The purpose of the cream is to keep the skin wet. In the milliseconds between the first blade and the other two, the skin does not dry significantly. It's still an interesting thing to ponder, though.

Top Bottom