What's new

Newbie Seeking a Pipe Lighter with a Hole in the Middle

Hello fellow smokers! I've been on the shaving side of the house for a few months and this is the first I wandered over to the Brown Leaf side.

I started smoking cigars in the mid-90's but my fiance at the time, later wife and now late wife, couldn't stand them. At her bidding I switched to a pipe, which she adored. It seems that her father was a pipe smoker and the scent of a cherry tobacco reminded her of her childhood.

My wife always wanted me to give up my Zippo for a pipe lighter she could only describe as "having the hole in the middle." My guess is that is what her father used. I remember as a kid seeing pictures of pipe lighters and they always seemed to have that hole in the mddle. My question is, could the lighters she and I were thinking of be anything other than the long out of production Nimrod? Are there any current production lighters that resemble the Nimrod?

well zippo makes a pipe lighter with hole in middle but there are lighter's that look like a bolt with a hole in the middle for pipes check ebay

There is a Zippo for pipes. I can't seem to pull a picture down.

Here's the "bolt" Nimrod.

$bolt.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Zippo and have enjoyed it, but have just always wondered about the pipe lighter with the hold in the middle. I have been watching Nimrod auctions on eBay and even won one over the weekend. I just remembered them as being a little more elegant and much less bolt like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you're looking for the zippo pipe lighter?

proxy.php

If you already have a zippo, I've seen people selling the inserts on eBay for pretty cheap.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you already have a zippo, I've seen people selling the inserts on eBay for pretty cheap.

You can also send a Zippo back to the factory in Bradford PA with a note that you want the pipe insert and they will replace the standard chimney insert with the pipe one.

I don't know much about pipe lighters but I'm sorry for your loss there. The way you remember her, she must've been a great partner.

I'm guessing you're looking for the zippo pipe lighter?

proxy.php

I've been using the all black version of this razor since the mid-90's. Anne always thought it made too big of a flame, but I always like a real flame thrower for lighting my pipe. SWSVS (She Who Smoked Virginia Slims) didn't seem to understand the need for anything more than a petite little flame.

The Nimrod Sportsman is the closest to what I remember that I have been able to find in a few hours of searching. There are some on eBay with a leather grip over the "pipe threads" on at least one end. My memory is of a razor with plating of some sort, possibly gold toned, but that may have been the lighting in the photo or my own fading memory. The Sportsman lighters I see online seem to be a dull finish like bare aluminum. I'll be able to judge better once my eBay treasures arrive.

Top Bottom