What's new

Newbie says hi, possible razor advice?

Welcome aboard!

I agree with your tendency to purchase one of the DE89 series or a Merkur 34C! These are fine razors that are pretty much in the middle range in terms of aggressiveness.

Welcome aboard!

I agree with your tendency to purchase one of the DE89 series or a Merkur 34C! These are fine razors that are pretty much in the middle range in terms of aggressiveness.
Thanks very much. Would you say either of these would give me anything significantly different than I am getting from the travel razor?

Thanks very much. Would you say either of these would give me anything significantly different than I am getting from the travel razor?

My ’travel razor’ is a Lord L6 (basically a lightweight Tech). I don’t have one similar to yours, so I cannot really comment.

I would say performance will be very similar. Difference will be determining your personal preference for handle length.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to avoid acquiring razors just for the hell of it as my budget is limited but I do feel that the small size of the travel razor may be limiting. It seems there's probably no real point in getting another Merkur so I'll probably go with the DE89, which I think I'm right in thinking I will be able to fit the handle on the travel razor?
I don't know if the handle will fit as I'm not familiar with either of those razors. As for the small size of the travel razor, I think I am correct in saying it takes a standard DE blade so the actual shaving area will be the same regardless. The only difference MIGHT be the height of the top cap which could affect your shave angle. Again I am not familiar with these razors so cannot say for certain.

You asked another poster if the travel razor will develop bad habits. My view is if you can get acceptable shaves with the travel razor, switching to another razor shouldn't be much different. Sure, the weight and handle length might differ, but that is just a case of finding a balance point you're comfortable with. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) of course.

I don't know if the handle will fit as I'm not familiar with either of those razors. As for the small size of the travel razor, I think I am correct in saying it takes a standard DE blade so the actual shaving area will be the same regardless. The only difference MIGHT be the height of the top cap which could affect your shave angle. Again I am not familiar with these razors so cannot say for certain.

You asked another poster if the travel razor will develop bad habits. My view is if you can get acceptable shaves with the travel razor, switching to another razor shouldn't be much different. Sure, the weight and handle length might differ, but that is just a case of finding a balance point you're comfortable with. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) of course.
Ok, thanks very much for your advice.

I recommend a Gillette Tech. It'll teach you the basics, finding and holding the correct angle, pressure etc. without biting your face off. They are great razors for new and experienced shavers.

Regarding the small razor vs. a long razor this is mostly a matter of preference. Yes, it's correct to point out that the overall weight and balance of a small razor is different from a long razor, but once you understand the right angle and the no pressure concept, you can switch from a long to a small razor easily. Personally I own both a Fatip piccolo open comb and an R41. The first is small and aggressive, the second is longer and very very aggressive. Both are giving me great shaves with a beard that is 4-5 days long, but the length is not the biggest differentiating factor on the two razors. It's the two heads that are completely different and that differentiate the twos.
Therefore I think that there are no bad habits that someone is picking up via a small razor. A longer razor with a similar head will help you to understand if you are applying a right angle and how much pressure you are using.
If you search the forum you will find that the important part is how you set your grip with a small vs. a long razor:
(Please have a look at the different pictures)
Safety Razor Grips - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_Razor_Grips

That said, my razor for a daily shave is the R89. This is a razor that I can recommend to anybody.

If you already used to the Merkur, a DE89 will not give you any better results... They are great razors for new wetshavers as they are are very forgiving on technique and have been loved for decades.

A more recent newcomer that can help you build technique as well as serve you well even after you are proficient that I would recommend instead if a DE89 is the Rockwell 6C or 6S, based on how much you want to invest.

I got the 6C and loved it ..It is forgiving on technique all the way to plate 4...and as you start enjoying more efficient shaves and more blade feel, you can move up to plate 5 and 6. This is a razor everyone should own IMHO.

I made the mistake of getting the 6C as I had to own the 6S shortly after...With this, you are very likely to love it enough to make the investment in Stainless steel version... They show up often on BST here and maybe you can get a preowned one at a great price..

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ewk
Welcome to B&B.

The only travel razor I owned was a Gillette Tech travel razor. The handle on that one was so small and I did not like it. I never tried your razor so have no opinion about it.

You have been given some good advice above.

You have been given some good advice above.

I most certainly have. I think for now I will sit tight and do some research into the Merkur Progress and Rockwell 6c.

Thanks again to everyone who has chipped in, you've all been very helpful.

Deselby69

Yes, research will help you narrow down the list. From personal experience, I used the Merkur 34C and EJ DE89 for over a year, then I got the Parker Variant which is similar to the Progress. I However got lots of razor burn while others raved about how great it is...

I put away the Parker Variant and the Rockwell was working great for me.... I had decided to sell the Parker. I think.I finally got my technique only down after a year and a half to where I seem to get great shaves with most razors...Now its a matter of which one is 5/5 versus 4.5 or 4 out of 5. The other day, I picked up the Parker and shaved with it thinking of then selling it. IT gave me an amazing shave...to my surprise...Decision to sell has now on hold.

My point is that most of these razors are excellent in quality and give great shaves if we know how to use them correctly... Recently got the DLC yaqi from Yaqi in China ..scalloped head like the DE89....my god...it shaves much better than my DE89...and its dirt cheap.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to avoid acquiring razors just for the hell of it as my budget is limited but I do feel that the small size of the travel razor may be limiting. It seems there's probably no real point in getting another Merkur so I'll probably go with the DE89, which I think I'm right in thinking I will be able to fit the handle on the travel razor?
You might think about a Rockwell 6c. It comes with 3 baseplates that can be installed to give you 6 different levels of efficiency.
It's like getting 6 razors for the price of one. As you progress you can increase the efficiency without buying new razors. The Rockwell has a good reputation around here.

Welcome, first of all. I think the de89 will give you similar mild shaves as your Merkur travel razor. The other Merkur razors you're considering will also give a similar mild shave. If you are wanting to replicate the characteristics of your current razor, then getting a Merkur or de89 is the way to go. If you want something a little more efficient but still smooth, consider a vintage. Gillette Tech or Red Tip will be a wonderful, yet mild razor for you. A modern razor to consider would be the Rockwell 6C or 6S (chrome or stainless steel)

Deselby69,

Welcome to the forum! What kind of travel razor do you mean? One with a regular-sized head and a miniature handle? I have a vintage Gillette like that, and while you have to get used to the little handle, it shaves fine. Of course I can always swap the handle for one from a full-sized Gillette Tech or one of Gillette's other vintage 3 piece razors.

The Merkur Progress is a dynamite razor: beautiful and efficient. If you buy one, before you use it, research it here. The instructions that come with it, and nearly everywhere on the 'Net except B & B, neglect to mention that you have to tighten the razor all the way down first, before adjusting it to your preferred setting. I didn't know, and my first 2 shaves with the Progress felt like it would bite me at any time. Since I learned to handle it, though, the razor is superb.

work on you technique, and get some sample packs of blades..... I have used quite some razors already in my relatively short period, but still return to my Muhle R89 or Merkur 34c for a daily shave. Just get your technique going en find the right blade for you

You can put any handle for 3 piece safety razor you want on that head, except Fatip.
Don't buy EJ, Muhle or King Gillette, you will gain nothing as those are same heads with minimal differences.
Shave with this and when you wish to try something different get your hands on some gillette tech or something more aggressive like fatip gentile or open comb.
For now, if you want something that is not at all aggressive like the one you have, but more efficient, buy Merkur 15c, it's an open comb razor with extremely mild head.
It will give you better and smoother shave without changing anything in your technique.

Top Bottom