What's new

Newbie saying hallo

Hey there, folks.

A friend of mine (whose screen name I actually don't know, now that I think of it...) has been praising this place for an age and a day, and I saw the awesome deals going on at the trading board, so I figured I should finally give in and register.

I've been using a bowl and brush for quite some time, even with my dinky Mach 3, because I promised myself I'd use up all the blades I had so as not to waste money. That was about a year ago, and since then I just. keep. finding. the damn things hidden away in the folds of old packing or medicine boxes. But! Finally I am down to my last week or two's worth, so I'm here.

I am a huge pen guy (though I only own a charcoal Lamy Safari fountain pen - one of the smoothest and best values for the price) and my object d' lust for the holidays is one of these beauties - a Lamy 2000 piston filler.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5030/image0230wi6.jpg < Warning, ridiculously large size image, but you can see the brushed texture of the makrolon in it.

*coughs*

I'm also a Linux nerd in my...holy cow, almost third year of the disease, running Slackware 12.1 as the logical progression from Knoppix > Ubuntu > Wolvix (Slackware 11 live distro).

I like cost-effective luxury, and by gum I'll get it!

P.S.: Anyone else find themselves lathering up with the brush far more times than you actually need to, because it feels/smells so bloody good?

Pens? Linux? Lathering w/ shaving? Lathering w/o shaving?
You, my friend need help are in the right place!
Now just need to add tea, coffee, flashlights, and "anything", you'll be a model citizen in no time! :biggrin1:

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

As I like to say to She Who must be obeyed, Cheese! :biggrin:
I love fountain pens, though that one is a tad contemporary for me, so far, though I do not own one, the Parker Duo Fold Cloisonné is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend it...:lol:

Oh yea, Welcome Brother! (almost forgot)

As I like to say to She Who must be obeyed, Cheese! :biggrin:
I love fountain pens, though that one is a tad contemporary for me, so far, though I do not own one, the Parker Duo Fold Cloisonné is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend it...:lol:

Oh yea, Welcome Brother! (almost forgot)

It isn't quite as vintage as some of my other interests, like this beautiful condition ~1940s Smith-Corona Silent I have sitting on my desk and demanding that it be used to manufacture stories, but its so...minimalist that I can't help but be attracted.

I work for Paradise Pen at the moment, doing the shuck and jive for Mont Blanc owners, so I probably won't ever have a chance to get a pen like the 2000 for my employee-discount + christmas gift card price again. If that doesn't work out, there's a gorgeous brown celluloid Parker Vaccumatic at a restorer around here that will become my victim/new treasure. My Safari is a more than excellent daily writer, so there's no rush on that, though.

And ouch, that Duofold is a beaut, but certainly not within my means...alas.

Pens? Linux? Lathering w/ shaving? Lathering w/o shaving?
You, my friend need help are in the right place!
Now just need to add tea, coffee, flashlights, and "anything", you'll be a model citizen in no time! :biggrin1:

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

I've been grinding my own coffee for a while now, though sadly I don't have the do-it-yourself loose leaf tea down yet. But...flashlights? Where does that come into this constellation of pleasures? :)

Thanks for the welcome from another Texan, though sadly in exile these last ten years to the frozen wastes (or at least they will be by the time I head out for work) of Indiana.

Welcome to the site.
A linux nerd?????? Oh crap, head over to the Barber shop forum and go to the Linux Mint thread.

P.S.: Anyone else find themselves lathering up with the brush far more times than you actually need to, because it feels/smells so bloody good?

Always!! I always squeeze the lather outta the brush and wash my face with it when I'm done. Unless the soap is UBER expensive!! Then I squeeze the soap from the brush back into the Tub of soap! Works great and your soap will last a long time!!!:cool::w00t:

Top Bottom