What's new

Newbie Re-do

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I have been shaving with DE razors for about 4 months now. I started off with a Van der Hagen tto that I purchased from my supermarket after loathing shaving with cartridges for years. I have since joined the forum and will never look back.

Of course having joined I have stumbled into a few rabbit holes. Many soaps, creams and aftershaves. Needed at least one of each kind of brush (still lacking a horse hair). Samples of blades ensued. And, ah yes, razors...

Merkur 34c
Edwin Jagger DE89
Muhle r89
Gillette 195
Gillette Red Tip
Gillette Black Beauty (birth year and 1/4)
Gillette slim adjustable AND an Aristocrat for good measure
Feather Popular
You get the idea.

After the Van der Hagen I went to the 34c and noticed an improvement. Then the Muhle and EJ89 were even better. Then came the vintage Gillettes, not so great, which was very disappointing. Ok, back to the 2 or 3 piece moderns and cruising right along. I just picked up the 1-9 Aristocrat yesterday, $20 was too good to pass up, and had a terrific 3 pass BBS shave with it. After my disappointment with the slim and fat boy I was surprised . However, I don't think the gold plating is what made the difference. I imagine that over time, unbeknownst to me, my technique had gradually become better.

With this dramatic revelation I have come to regret not heeding the advice of "stick with one set for a month and THEN try introducing some new stuff". So I will begin anew. 1 cream, Feather blade, 2 synthetic brushes rotated every other shave. The remaining factor to decide on is which of 3 razors. Merkur 34c, Muhle r89 or EJ89.

Any thoughts on the razor? Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation and want to join me and share their experience? I will stretch my month out to the end of February. That will be a solid 6 weeks to redeem myself for not focusing on getting my technique down prior to going a little crazy.

Welcome and congratulations on recognizing the rabbit holes! They are deep and the variety is endless.

But as you have already surmised, technique is what gives you a good shave. Gear can help, masking deficiencies in technique or forcing you into good habits, but it all boils down to technique, IMHO.

Any of your razors will work for your "fixed 4". It may be easier to use one that you feel already performs well for you. But some may suggest you use something you are less comfortable with in order to discourage any bad habits and "start fresh". Totally a personal choice.

All that said, I used the EJ DE89 exclusively for years before switching to straights and Single Edged. It's a very solid razor IMHO.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Welcome Chef! Having begun with a VDH TTO and moved to a Merkur 38C myself I, too, have enjoyed many, many fine shaves. But I have begun to wonder if, like you, I should try another razor or two. I have tried a Futur (which I didn't much care for) but haven't tried much else. Maybe I should make that a goal this year.

With this dramatic revelation I have come to regret not heeding the advice of "stick with one set for a month and THEN try introducing some new stuff". So I will begin anew. 1 cream, Feather blade, 2 synthetic brushes rotated every other shave. The remaining factor to decide on is which of 3 razors. Merkur 34c, Muhle r89 or EJ89.
You will find that a regular setup for a month very helpful to get to know the razor Keep at it and your shaves will improve.
The Muhle R89 and EJDE89 are the same design of head so should deliver similar results. I fiind the Merkur 34C a little more agressive and I prefer the handle and 2 piece design; it is my benchmark razor.

Welcome aboard!

You are making great progress IMO!

You learned a key lesson! It is important to stick with one set up during your learning curve. Then, you need to give your new kit a fair trial before reaching conclusions! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom