What's new

Newbie Questions

Hello everyone. I would like to try making some wooden scales for one of my razors. I have a couple of questions and so far have not found the answers here.

1. If I am using a wooden wedge with wooden scales and gluing them together with epoxy or something similar, do I still need to pin the wedge?
2. Once you put in the wedge, the scales are no longer parallel. When you drill the pin hole, is there some technique to get the hole perpendicular to spine, or is the angle so small it does not matter? Thanks

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You can use a spacer between the hinge ends when drilling the pivot hole.

I have glued the wedge in, but I still pin it out of both an overabundance of caution and to keep a classic look. But do it like you feel it.

I drill the scales with the two pieces double side taped together and while the material is still flat. Then do the shaping, separate the scales, and put in the wedge.

I drill the scales with the two pieces double side taped together and while the material is still flat. Then do the shaping, separate the scales, and put in the wedge.
Thanks. Do you then just redrill the holes after the wedge is in place even though they would not be perpendicular to the spine at that point?

I glue one side of the wedge to one of the scales, shim the wedge on the drill press table to get the hole perpendicular, and have never worried about the hole in the other scale. If the scale material is hard enough to worry about that slight misalignment I would drill the hole oversize anyway to accommodate the pin expanding when it is peened. In soft material it doesn't matter.

I glue one side of the wedge to one of the scales, shim the wedge on the drill press table to get the hole perpendicular, and have never worried about the hole in the other scale. If the scale material is hard enough to worry about that slight misalignment I would drill the hole oversize anyway to accommodate the pin expanding when it is peened. In soft material it doesn't matter.
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the instruction.

Top Bottom