What's new

Newbie Questions

Hi, I've had a few straight shaves now (between 5-10) and I wanted to ask if stropping is necessary prior to each shave, or if it's okay to wait a few shaves before doing it again. Also- should you use an abrasive powder each time you strop, or do you usually just strop on the bare leather? Also, I have a 2.5 strop with a canvas strip on it, which I haven't found to really be useful, and a 3 inch Solingen strop with a leather side and a very soft side, which I like better. I usually strop each time, just a few laps on the very soft side, and then 30-40 laps on the leather side. Any advice you have about general stropping is helpful.
-Claven

Only use abrasive powders on strops dedicated to that specific powder!

You should strop on the leather before every shave. It aligns the edge. I believe that canvas duplicates some of the same effects as pasted stops (Strops with abrasive powders or paste). I do pasted strops after every shave, but this varies greatly by user.

I strop a few strokes on the linen and then leather after use to dry the blade.

Before I use the razor again I strop a few times again on both materials.

Based on ads I have found from the early 1900’s, the makers recommended no more than 12 laps on a strop.

What would be the drawback to overstropping? It would seem that more stropping is better.

The J.R. Torrey ads were promoting that their razors didn’t required but a few laps. Fewer laps meant less work.

The more you strop the greater the chance of rolling the edge I suspect.

The J.R. Torrey ads were promoting that their razors didn’t required but a few laps. Fewer laps meant less work.

The more you strop the greater the chance of rolling the edge I suspect.

I'm sure that the ad was to boost sales of the razor itself.
12 strokes is not very many and I'm sure the actual number varied even with the same barber doing so.
I once asked my own barber who's strop I possess "will it hurt if I do more?" he said "no, not really" So long as you are stropping correctly.
Rolling the edge at all is poor technique whether its 12 or 100.

I'm sure that the ad was to boost sales of the razor itself.
12 strokes is not very many and I'm sure the actual number varied even with the same barber doing so.
I once asked my own barber who's strop I possess "will it hurt if I do more?" he said "no, not really" So long as you are stropping correctly.
Rolling the edge at all is poor technique whether its 12 or 100.

Yes, to sell more was the point, but it made me think that 50 is ridiculously obsessive.

Won’t hurt and won’t help!

Yes we agree on rolling

Won't hurt - correct.
Won't help - that's debatable.
I do not think 50 is ridiculously obsessive.
Many people do a lot more, myself included.
Try more yourself and see. I remember a very well respected honer and razor guru who changed his view after years of recommending only 15-20.
For me 12 is no where near enough. If you listen to the sound, a razor changes when stropping and not usually before 20 or so.
To each his own.

How do any of us come to our conclusions?

I think for about 80% of the people its NOT from experience.
Its from what they have read from who knows where and what they have been told by?????

I have seen more than a few (new to straight razor guys, less than 1 year) preach everything from honing tips to stropping tips and everything in between.
What does that tell you about how many people come to their conclusions.

I think for about 80% of the people its NOT from experience.
Its from what they have read from who knows where and what they have been told by?????

I have seen more than a few (new to straight razor guys, less than 1 year) preach everything from honing tips to stropping tips and everything in between.
What does that tell you about how many people come to their conclusions.

Well, I am an outlier. My conclusions are based on experience. I doubt your 80 percent claim is accurate and would want more than you saying so.

See, the problem for those that think they know stems from ignorance toward the people they are condescending toward. That's why you all talk down to people as if they are two years old and have no life experiences. Some of use have worked with tools, operated machinery, performed mechanical work, played sports and play musical instruments where dexterity and mental aptitude are essential. Sharpening up a razor to shave is no where is the same class as performing any of those listed skills. I sharpened my first eBay abused razor and shaved with it first time. Easy as falling off a log.

Back to our topic. If you want to perform 25 laps followed by 50 laps before you shave, knock yourself out. I'll stick to what works for me.

It is the information that is put forth with such certainty by those that are new to it that is a problem and always will be a problem. There is little better to learn from than actual experience.
What you do or did prior to using straight razors has little relevance with actually using and maintaining them.

See, the problem for those that think they know stems from ignorance toward the people they are condescending toward.

Not that anyone was being condescending but if someone with more experience tries to explain or advise someone with little or less experience and is met with this kind of reaction then the ignorance is yours.

It is the information that is put forth with such certainty by those that are new to it that is a problem and always will be a problem. There is little better to learn from than actual experience.
What you do or did prior to using straight razors has little relevance with actually using and maintaining them.

Not that anyone was being condescending but if someone with more experience tries to explain or advise someone with little or less experience and is met with this kind of reaction then the ignorance is yours.

You don’t here any certainty from me. I introduced a J.R. Torrey ad to say what the manufacturer said concerning fewer laps. I mentioned that after reading that ad I began to use fewer laps.

I don’t personally know that you have more experience. Given the nature of your posts, I would be able to say you have opinions

How can my success be my ignorance simultaneously? Can’t happen. You’re just wrong on this on. I’d suggest you cut bait.

I have tried a lot of laps and a small amount. I have found that I prefer 20 on linen and 30 on leather before shave. After I do 20 on linen . I notice most of the feedback on first run after honing. Sometimes I strop a razor just for fun. With a couple of years experience,I think the trick is to try everything. Good luck

I have tried a lot of laps and a small amount. I have found that I prefer 20 on linen and 30 on leather before shave. After I do 20 on linen . I notice most of the feedback on first run after honing. Sometimes I strop a razor just for fun. With a couple of years experience,I think the trick is to try everything. Good luck

Me to. I started out doing 25 on linen and 50 on horse hide. After I read the Torrey ad and watched a video of an old barber, I questioned what I was doing and decided to use less and see if it mattered. It didn’t.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Also remember that what works for me or for you may not work for the next guy. Some razors, some steel types respond differently than others. Do you strop with a heavier or lighter hand than the next guy does. Does the strop he is using have more draw or less. How was his razor honed compared to yours?
How tough are your whiskers, how sensitive is your face? What is your threshold on what is "enough"?

All the above are factors that affect what works for each of us. I think, for someone new (and what I did many, many years ago) was to try what I was "told" and then empirically determine what works for me based on my face, my equipment and my application of those ideas, technique and principles.

As I said above, I usually do 30- 40 laps, and I have noticed the sound change towards the end.

Many will find this if they bother to listen (good you can hear the transition), I have heard many say that they listen to know when it is done.
As tony has mentioned above there are many factors involved.
Few, if any, will advocate for 12-15 laps.
I think you would find an average of 50-80 when you consider many do 20-25 linen before hitting any leather so even doing the same on leather your total is 50. Add to this that there are many that do post AND pre-shave laps.
If you do 15 laps or so your razor will feel like it needs to be re-honed sooner then if you did more. At that point you would do a few extra laps to bring it back around.
As you become more proficient with stropping you honing frequency will decrease.
To add to your first post - definitely strop each and every time for top performance.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom