What's new

Newbie Questions

Please allow me to apologize as I did try to search the forum before my post. I have been lurking for awhile now and I am real interested in getting involved in straight razor shaving. I have been wet shaving for 20+years and more recently with a safety razor. I have tried to learn and understand the equipment needed to get started and the setup necessary prior to my first shave. I was wondering if there is a link, video or a post that would provide me the necessary steps to take. I am also looking for a high quality razor and would love some suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback and look forward to learning about straight razor shaving.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Welcome to the brotherhood of the straight. Basics are you need a quality straight razor, good strop and lots of practice. Just getting started with straights lots of people here recommend a Whipped dog kit to get started. That or putting together your own kit starting with a vintage razor. The Superior shave has some very nice starting kits. Past the basics I would suggest two razors so you can swap them out when one needs to be honed.

Since you already have the badger and soap. All you need is a strop and a razor.
For the razor, my advice is to start with one you find beautiful. Best is to stay away from eBay's vintage as you could get anything.
Even the one described as shave-ready only sometimes are.
If you do not want to spend the $175 for a new Thiers Issard at Art of Shaving, a Titan ($40 on eBay) can work.
Mine came shaveready, but other were not as lucky. Anyway, honing is not a big deal. You can find people here to do it cheap (or free in some case, just to help someone get started).
For the strop, I'd recommend getting one for $20 on Amazon to start with as most of us ruined our first. Once you get the hang of it, then you can get a better one and get your razor properly honed by a pro as by then, bad stropping would have blunted it a bit.

So my recommended, budget beginner kit is:
strop: http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Canva...qid=1391838963&sr=8-19&keywords=leather+strop
Razor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Stain...137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8871109

And if you can add another $20, it might be worthwhile getting a modified gold dollar from Buca. It won't be as nice as the Titan, but at least you are guaranteed a very good edge on it. So that would show you how sharp a razor can be and let you alternate between 2.

Since you already have the badger and soap. All you need is a strop and a razor.
For the razor, my advice is to start with one you find beautiful. Best is to stay away from eBay's vintage as you could get anything.
Even the one described as shave-ready only sometimes are.
If you do not want to spend the $175 for a new Thiers Issard at Art of Shaving, a Titan ($40 on eBay) can work.
Mine came shaveready, but other were not as lucky. Anyway, honing is not a big deal. You can find people here to do it cheap (or free in some case, just to help someone get started).
For the strop, I'd recommend getting one for $20 on Amazon to start with as most of us ruined our first. Once you get the hang of it, then you can get a better one and get your razor properly honed by a pro as by then, bad stropping would have blunted it a bit.

So my recommended, budget beginner kit is:
strop: http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Canva...qid=1391838963&sr=8-19&keywords=leather+strop
Razor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Stain...137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8871109

And if you can add another $20, it might be worthwhile getting a modified gold dollar from Buca. It won't be as nice as the Titan, but at least you are guaranteed a very good edge on it. So that would show you how sharp a razor can be and let you alternate between 2.

I followed your link. You just recommended a razor that is listed on Ebay for US $2,399.00 to a Novice?

This is a joke right?

Frank

Please allow me to apologize as I did try to search the forum before my post. I have been lurking for awhile now and I am real interested in getting involved in straight razor shaving. I have been wet shaving for 20+years and more recently with a safety razor. I have tried to learn and understand the equipment needed to get started and the setup necessary prior to my first shave. I was wondering if there is a link, video or a post that would provide me the necessary steps to take. I am also looking for a high quality razor and would love some suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback and look forward to learning about straight razor shaving.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

price does not indicate a good shave. some plus 200$ razors are not shave ready. and a well honed razor with good steel is all that you need to start.

ok Marc. a few questions before you start. what kind of beard do you have?. also what is your price range?. I have some recommendations. but I need to know how tough is your beard and what is your price range. I will be glad to help you start on the right foot and avoid bad choices :).

I followed your link. You just recommended a razor that is listed on Ebay for US $2,399.00 to a Novice?

This is a joke right?

Frank
I don't think he was trying to mislead you; that razor is normally in the $40 range, I think (I have no experience with it). The seller probably put that price there to hold the listing until they have more back in stock--a fairly common eBay strategy.

I don't think he was trying to mislead you; that razor is normally in the $40 range, I think (I have no experience with it). The seller probably put that price there to hold the listing until they have more back in stock--a fairly common eBay strategy.

My apologies. Did not know that.

Frank

Thanks for asking. I have a pretty rough, not so tough beard. I am currently using a Mekur adjustable DE razor and Gilette Silver Blue blades. I currently own a Badger silver tip brush and a decent assortment of soap and shaving cream. I don't have a specific price range in mind. I would like a good razor and don't mind spending a bit more for for a quality product. Hope this helps and thanks for helping.

Sincerely,

Marc

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. I have a pretty rough, not so tough beard. I am currently using a Mekur adjustable DE razor and Gilette Silver Blue blades. I currently own a Badger silver tip brush and a decent assortment of soap and shaving cream. I don't have a specific price range in mind. I would like a good razor and don't mind spending a bit more for for a quality product. Hope this helps and thanks for helping.

Sincerely,

Marc

vintage razors are your best bet. also you need something that is already sharp and shave ready. new factory straight razors are not shave ready. and most vintage razors steel quality is superior.

also about razor grinds. people will tell you a hollow razor is better for a light beard. a wedge is better for coarse beard. in my case I feel that a wedge is better for me. gives me no razor burns and not a single drop of blood. and shaves silently :). but a hollow will still do the job. also you can always buy 2 different grinds and sizes to test them out. remember on your first shave. if you have thick hair around the chin. do not try to shave it. shave that area when you get used handling the razor. also try simple passes.

if you are interested there is a guy on ebay where I once bought from him a shave ready straight razor. his razors are top quality and look good. or you can buy a shave ready gold dollar.the one who I bought from the gold dollar was truly shave ready, and very sharp. also he offers a free honing later. so you can practice for months. and still send it back for free honing. the gold dollar was my first razor. also it is half hollow. something in the middle of the road. it is easy to learn with.

here are the links.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/nkmbuys/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

his razors are top quality. as you see . they are sharpened and shave ready. in other words well taken care of.

and for the gold dollar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shave-Ready...998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3721f616

these guys is what I experienced. both were good.

but there are people here who sell shave ready razors. youmight want to check them out.

whipped dog sells a sight unseen razor. they come shave ready. also you must buy a strop. larry sells some strop kits. also ask about his balsa strop. it will help to keep your razors edge sharp and last longer. you do not need an expensive strop now. because you will nick your first strop. I destroyed my first strop. larry sells replacements also. ask him for one replacement strop.

www.whippeddog.com

I hope this helps. and do not hesitate if you have some questions.

+1 to the post above. I have a thick beard and have found that stiffer grinds work better for me as well compared to very hollow ones. A stiffer grind will help in the beginning because very thin razors can flex if your technique is not very good but stiffer razors have less flex so it makes up for some one the technique. I think something around 1/2 hollow and 5/8-6/8's is perfect for a beginner.

FWIW the ebay member listed above as Nkmbuys is also a member on the forum and his prices are a little cheaper here. His forum name is Noahpictures. Although I never bought from him he has a great reputation for his razors coming shave ready, and some very nice razors that have tempted me at times. Also another member on here sells shave ready Gold Dollars which I have tried and can highly recommend as shave ready. His name is Buca3152. Good luck.

RIGHT TO THE POINT!. I always felt inflexibility is a plus. I almost never nick my self with a wedge, I don't even remember when is last time pinpoint blood came out of my face. even after months of straight shaving. I do get unexplained weepers when using a hollow. I remember also having weepers while using DE or multiblades carts. but with a wedge. that is history.

l bought from Naoh a jackson smith. almost a 7/8. wedge. for 65$ and shave ready. I do not mind honing. but his razors are perfect for anyone who cannot hone razors. or beginners. it looks almost the same as my W$B. the difference is the point. they even shave the same. and the same size. my Photo displays both the W&B and Jackson smith. I call them "the Twins". for 65$. I can never dream of finding something similar.

I believe a gold dollar is the best choice for a beginner. at least they will know if they want a bigger or smaller razor. a thicker or thinner. etc. I don't find it necessary buying a +100$ razor for a beginner. it is like someone buying a custom without the faintest idea what he wants. or even how to hold it. then he realizes that it is not for him. and now he needs another razor that is more fit for his needs. I bought my W&B after trying the gold dollar because I knew that now I want something thicker and inflexible. I also bought an A.J Jordan. a 5/8 wedge or near wedge. but I felt that bigger is better for me. Jeness is making me a custom. I only thought of it after being 100% sure what my dream razor should be.

I hope our friend Marc starts on the right foot :)

Top Bottom