What's new

Newbie questions regarding Eveready 1912

I stand corrected, this is a Feather-Weight ad from 1951
1951_Gem_Feather_Weight.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What I believe is the few "Radio" and "Oxford" razor were promotional razors.
There were no Radio or Oxford companies producing the 1912 model like Star did in the 30's.

The Radio was a regular British made Gem promoting the Radio blades;
The Oxford was an Ever-Ready razor rebranded in order to promote a shaving soap.

Gem was an American company, still they produced some razors in England for the Commonwealth market, mainly Canada and Australia.

That is only based on my personal speculation and my research on the intricate ASR history.

As far as the E-Bar debate, I'm with @jmudrick
The G-bar has too much of a 50's Modern American style to be conceived in England a couple of decades before.
I believe it was introduced a couple of years after the Feather-weight (1953) and they share the same flat-top "frame" Gem also called "V-Slim". Maybe Gem responded to the complaint of customers who wanted a heftier handle, who knows...

For anybody intrepid enough to dive into the rabbit hole, here's one of the nicest Gem/Ever-Ready/Star collections known to B&B, courtesy of @pjgh.
proxy.php
I agree with @jmudrick already on some other posts on a different thread but the charts are not mine and I could try on the lower one to make a change the next time(there might be a updated one some where). NOW that fellow@pjgh likes his GEMS and Everready's, very nice collection and just to much adult eye candy it makes me want to try a few of the odd ones. Thanks!
Have some great shaves!

I agree with @jmudrick already on some other posts on a different thread but the charts are not mine and I could try on the lower one to make a change the next time(there might be an updated one some where). NOW that fellow@pjgh likes his GEMS and Everready's, very nice collection and just to much adult eye candy it makes me want to try a few of the odd ones. Thanks!
Have some great shaves!

I've tried to add additional infos to that chart (dated 2009) based on new findings, vintage print ads, vintage catalogs, Google Books, forums and well-informed users (amongst them @jmudrick in US and @pjgh in England).
My chart is still largely incomplete and probably incorrect here and there. I omitted the Star column because it needs further investigation:

Attachments

• gem_timeline.png
    gem_timeline.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 31
I've tried to add additional infos to that chart (dated 2009) based on new findings, vintage print ads, vintage catalogs, Google Books, forums and well-informed users (amongst them @jmudrick in US and @pjgh in England).
My chart is still largely incomplete and probably incorrect here and there. I omitted the Star column because it needs further investigation:
Clog-Pruf is 1940 . September 1940 ad:
proxy.php

First Contour ads I see are 1965, Contour 1973 though I find no announcements for either.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That is one of the nicest charts and updated, I'm hoping that I can use it once in a while for reference if it's OK with you.
Great Job and a lot of effort.
Have some great shaves!

Another curious one, for the baton handle Parade I find ads only for 1945-47, none for years indicated in the chart. This 1945 does suggest pre-war availability though not sure if they carried the Parade moniker.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For anybody intrepid enough to dive into the rabbit hole, here's one of the nicest Gem/Ever-Ready/Star collections known to B&B, courtesy of @pjgh.
proxy.php

Well, at least it doesn't QUITE cover a table big enough to seat the entire regiment...

I think I just felt a little tingle looking at that.

O.H.

@jmudrick I don't remember where I've read 1938 as the date of introduction of the Baton handle. Not from a Print Ad because otherwise I would have saved it. The chart is still a work in progress and I change it every time I have some new information as it happened with your correction about the Featherweight. In that case the oldest ad in my possession was from 1951. As You know it's quite hard to find new ads apart from the same old few returned by Google Images but still they are the best historical source in my opinion. There are some companies in the US specialized in printing vintage ads for home decoration. Sometimes, browsing through pages and pages of non-shaving related ads, an Eversharp or a Gem/Eveready ad pops up and I feel like striking gold.

@Ron R of course you can use it and share it wherever you want, keep in mind it is still a work in progress and dates can change anytime. When I will collect more pieces of information I will post an updated version on your thread
Gem Razor Models especially if I have enough dates about the Kampfe Bros/Star timeline.

@jmudrick I don't remember where I've read 1938 as the date of introduction of the Baton handle. Not from a Print Ad because otherwise I would have saved it. The chart is still a work in progress and I change it every time I have some new information as it happened with your correction about the Featherweight. In that case the oldest ad in my possession was from 1951. As You know it's quite hard to find new ads apart from the same old few returned by Google Images but still they are the best historical source in my opinion. There are some companies in the US specialized in printing vintage ads for home decoration. Sometimes, browsing through pages and pages of non-shaving related ads, an Eversharp or a Gem/Eveready ad pops up and I feel like striking gold.

@Ron R of course you can use it and share it wherever you want, keep in mind it is still a work in progress and dates can change anytime. When I will collect more pieces of information I will post an updated version on your thread
Gem Razor Models especially if I have enough dates about the Kampfe Bros/Star timeline.

This ad appears in dozens of major newspapers in September 1950.
proxy.php

There may have been some regional trials earlier as there is one Los Angeles Times ad from May 1950.

I see Gem Junior travel sets introduced in 1930 and 1941 but neither features the baton handle. No hits for 1938.

Last edited:
Sorry one more.

Clog-Pruf Peerless appears in time for Christmas 1945 in its rich leatherette case :) .

proxy.php

With the new precious infos provided by @jmudrick I'm updating and correcting the spreadsheet. When it will become a little juicier I will edit a general picture and upload it on the excellent Ron's "Gem Razor Models" thread where I think it belongs.

As far as the Gem "The Parade" dates, I did more researches based on jmudrick words and I think we can have a better picture: The first iteration of The Parade introduced in 1938 had the classic metal "fluted" handle. During WWII, due to the brass shortage, Gillette, Gem and many others had to use bakelite. In 1943 Gem reintroduced the "The Parade" model in two variants, the "Baton" and the "Slim" handle. On vintage Gem print ads you can read "It's back!"

1938 Parade:
proxy.php

These are the two later bakelite variants sharing the same case and name:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The only difference in the cardboard case is the cutout to fit each handle.

1938: Gem "The Parade" metal "fluted" handle
1943: Gem "The Parade" bakelite handle ("baton" or "slim" version)

With the new precious infos provided by @jmudrick I'm updating and correcting the spreadsheet. When it will become a little juicier I will edit a general picture and upload it on the excellent Ron's "Gem Razor Models" thread where I think it belongs.

As far as the Gem "The Parade" dates, I did more researches based on jmudrick words and I think we can have a better picture: The first iteration of The Parade introduced in 1938 had the classic metal "fluted" handle. During WWII, due to the brass shortage, Gillette, Gem and many others had to use bakelite. In 1943 Gem reintroduced the "The Parade" model in two variants, the "Baton" and the "Slim" handle. On vintage Gem print ads you can read "It's back!"

1938 Parade:
proxy.php

These are the two later bakelite variants sharing the same case and name:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The only difference in the cardboard case is the cutout to fit each handle.

1938: Gem "The Parade" metal "fluted" handle
1943: Gem "The Parade" bakelite handle ("baton" or "slim" version)
Good sleuthing.

Top Bottom