What's new

newbie questions - Moustache/goatee

I am a 28 year old male, who has tried to grow facial hair a few times without much luck. For the last 3.5 years I have been traditional wetshaving daily. Giving on growing the facial hair. Well in September I decided wanted to try again, but don't want to stop shaving. So I have a moustache and goatee. Surprisingly to me it is growing in really well. While I try to explain to my wife that it is growing on her (pun intended LOL) she is not a big fan, says it is prickly and not her favorite.

So anyways my grooming has been pulling out the clippers I have and putting guard on and trimming it down, and using my teeth on the longer moustache hairs. Any grooming tips out there you could recommend to help with the prickliness? Or any tips in general? I did order some WSP Beard Balm whilst sipping some scotch last night so I do have that coming in.

Thanks in advance for the tips

Let it grow, the longer it gets the softer it will feel. Also it will most likely get even Fuller over the next few years. Mine was much better in my mid 30s than my 20s.

Let it grow, the longer it gets the softer it will feel. Also it will most likely get even Fuller over the next few years. Mine was much better in my mid 30s than my 20s.

+1

Also get some scissors to trim the mustache, or small electric trimmers. A sharply cut edge usually looks more "groomed" and may help sell it to the wife.
The beard oil/balm on your chin should help soften things up enough that it is less prickly to the Mrs' touch. Unless you keep it trimmed at the lowest setting on your clippers.

Your wife will NEVER be happy about it.

Don't negotiate.

No appeasement.

Build that facial hair.

Moustaches Are Great Again!

That aside: as said above, using trimmers to "buzz cut" your whiskers is a sure fire way to keep things as prickly as possible. Invest in a nice set of small grooming scissors and trim around the edges of where you need trimming, let the main portions grow.

Good luck! I go through daily complaints from my wife and kids. Too bad for them! Ha!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips folks. I will look for some nice scissors. Perhaps I can find some at the local Walgreens.

You can find an okay pair at Walgreens, but go online and get some really good ones. Also, there's some great tutorials out there on facial hair care. Either beard balm or a good mustache wax will soften things up a lot.

I wear a chin patch and mustache and SWMBO says I am forbidden from ever shaving it off now. As it grows it gets softer and then after you trim it back it will eventually be soft as it is shorter. I use a trimmer with an adjustable guard and trim the patch and the stash with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of scissors would you recommend?

Also are waxes hard to wash out? I don't want another pomade incident where I'm in the shower trying to get it out then my wife reads to use Olive oil. That stuff is slippery and causes falls! So I only use water based pomades now. So long story short are waxes easy to get out? Or could you recommend one?

Also are waxes hard to wash out? I don't want another pomade incident where I'm in the shower trying to get it out then my wife reads to use Olive oil. That stuff is slippery and causes falls! So I only use water based pomades now. So long story short are waxes easy to get out? Or could you recommend one?

I don’t use the waxes but if I use scissors wahl brand are my choice.

I don’t use the waxes but if I use scissors wahl brand are my choice.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to see if the balm when it arrives provides a little hold before I try some others. I'm sure this could end up like shave soaps where I currently have 200 in my den

Last edited:
You could check Walgreen's, but you'll probably get a better pair cheaper online. These are the scissors I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...0013986&id=7609365165893071&widgetName=sp_atf
They're pretty nice for the price. Traditionally beard scissors would be a little smaller, but i find they work well for me. I used a cheap pair of wahl scissors for years. They came free with a set of hair clippers. They worked well enough, but these are much better, really fell like they should cost twice the price. A smaller pair may be better, but usually have a higher price tag.

B111D37D-238B-474F-A1DF-7B40EF7BC46D.jpeg
I picked these KAI scissors up in Japan. Work great

Beard balm or paste should make things more comfortable and softer. I use a paste as I find it a bit nicer. I have used scissors but find clippers with a number 6 attachment works well too. My wife prefers a bead, so I don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Back in the day I had a goatee and I have been thinking of growing it back.....

I've only had a few times where the wax was hard to remove with only soap and water, and that's when I really used a lot of product. I generally get a 2-3 mm diameter ball between each index and thumb, work that into a smooth consistency and begin shaping.

Jusr be careful how your moustache is trimmed back....try not to put an angle on it...just straight cut to your lip or it will get very prickly and the wife wont be happy to kiss you one bit.

You can also condition your goat/stash as well....helps soften it up.

I haven't had my mustache scissors long enough, but thought I'd put this out there. Apparently they will last me forever, and then some. They are pricey, but are supposed to be top of the line type scissors:
NTS-Solingen Shears

Info on mustache scissors:

I went with the NTS Solingen Maylily 4.5", and I must say they are great. I use them to trim my mustache just above my lip, but I also use them to cut the grey hairs growing in my beard as short as possible. And because of their size, it's real easy while using a 5x mirror that is lol.

I wear a chin patch and mustache and SWMBO says I am forbidden from ever shaving it off now. As it grows it gets softer and then after you trim it back it will eventually be soft as it is shorter. I use a trimmer with an adjustable guard and trim the patch and the stash with it.

I have had this experience too. This was back in around 1985 (+/-). At the time, my wife had only seen photos of my without my mustache. (I had had it about four years by then) One Sunday morning, I was trimming it and decided to cut it off. Walked in the bedroom and the first thing out of her mouth was "grow it back!" So I did. I did this one other time so her family could see me without it. Total without since fall of 1981? Maybe three days.

I had a goatee/van dyke for a while as well- it has come and gone off and on over the last 20 years. But trimming is tricky keeping it balanced between looking good but not so short it is prickly. Even after 36+ years I don't always get it right.

My scissors are a folding pair in a little pouch with a small mustache comb. I got them not long after I started growing it. I don't recall where I got them. Still in great shape even after over 35 years.

Top Bottom