What's new

(Newbie questions): Dorko - what have I got and how do I fix it?

Hi all,
I'm new to this but want to get into shaving with a straight razor. My uncle gave me one that he no longer uses, but it's not shave ready yet. I don't know much about it so was hoping some of you on the forum could help me out with some details. It's a Dorko, which I gather is a good brand, but I read there's a big difference between their top-of-the-line and their lower end razors. Two issues I'd like to sort out with it before I start using it:

1) The blade doesn't center in the scales and there's a bit of play in the pivot pin. It's enough play that if you hold it on it's right side and open it, you'll hear it 'ping' as the scales pluck the edge when it opens. Even worse, if you try to close it in this position, the edge actually nicks into the scales. This has happened, and while I don't see any nicks in the edge, I'm sure it's extremely hard on it and want to fix this before I get it honed.

2) If the solution to problem 1 does not involve replacing the scales, then I'd like to fix the metal logo pressed into the scales. When my uncle shipped it to me he used a bit of tape to keep it closed. When I pulled this off, it started to lift the metal logo off (see picture). Any suggestions on how to fix this? Does anyone know what the scales are made out of? Is it a thermoplastic (i.e. one that can be melted)? If so I was thinking of pressing a soldering iron against the metal logo till it just melted the plastic underneath to stick it back down.

A couple other questions:
- Can you tell me approximately what it's worth? Not that I'm looking to sell it, but if it's valuable then maybe I'll buy a cheapie to learn to hone on, or get any repairs done by someone with more experience.

- Is this an appropriate razor to learn on? Not sure if it's fully hollow, 1/2 hollow, etc..., not even really sure on the size (seems somewhere between 6/8" and 7/8"). Is this a bit big to learn with?

Thanks for the help!

$Dorko 2.JPG$photo 4.JPG$photo 1.JPG$photo 2.JPG$photo 3.JPG

Dang man. Put that razor away and buy something cheap to learn on. That's a very nice razor.

Send that off to a pro to have it honed, pins tightened, and a light restore on the scales. I would not recommend learning with that because you'd be upset if you dinged it. I would go get a starter razor and strop off the BST or from one of the vendors to learn with. By the time you're ready to use the nicer Dorko, you should be skilled enough, if not to get great shaves, at least not to roll the edge or one of the various other things that can go wrong when you're learning.

Send that off to a pro to have it honed, pins tightened, and a light restore on the scales. I would not recommend learning with that because you'd be upset if you dinged it. I would go get a starter razor and strop off the BST or from one of the vendors to learn with. By the time you're ready to use the nicer Dorko, you should be skilled enough, if not to get great shaves, at least not to roll the edge or one of the various other things that can go wrong when you're learning.
+100

If you sell it you will regret it later. I promise. No cash value it may now is not worth wishing you still had it in 6 months or a year. Its a fine shaver no doubt. I'll help you get it in shape for the cost of shipping if you like.

where are people getting these uncles from? mine never had anything interesting... i just figured it out... I am the uncle with cool toys.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let my uncle know he's cooler than most...

I have no intention of selling it. Even if I decide straight shaving isn't for me I'd return it to my uncle.

But now I need to sort out the conflicting advice:

If I go this route:

how much should I expect to spend on a good beginner razor in shave-ready condition? I understand that I don't want to wreck a good razor, but it seems a little counter productive to try to learn with a poor one. Then I wouldn't know if bad results were due to technique or to a poor razor.

To the OP: Nice looking razor. Don't sweat the small stuff. All can be fixed.

Thanks! So are you saying that the common learning mistakes (i.e. rolling the edge) are easily fixed? What about if I try to fix the loose pivot? I don't mind trying to fix it myself (actually would prefer this) as long as there's not a huge risk of causing permanent damage. As long as if I botched something I could then send it to the pro's for a proper repair I'm not too worried.

If you sell it you will regret it later. I promise. No cash value it may now is not worth wishing you still had it in 6 months or a year. Its a fine shaver no doubt. I'll help you get it in shape for the cost of shipping if you like.

Thanks very much for the offer - PM sent with some details. I am in Canada, and not sure if that causes some issues with customs/duty. I don't want to wind up paying duty in both directions but not sure how to declare it to show it's being repaired and coming back to me.

Can't it be declared a "gift" both ways?

My understanding is calling it a "gift" gets the first $60 exempt from tax/duty. But if I value it more than that for insurance (and I think it's worth more than $60) then I'd pay on everything over $60.

Also, "gift" doesn't affect the brokerage fees, which if using USPS isn't a big deal, if UPS or FedEx it can get ridiculous in a hurry (like probably in the $40 range).

I'm also a bit concerned of it getting confiscated if someone in customs feels like considering it a weapon. I think in both Canada and US it's something like any blade that can be opened one-handed (i.e. a switch blade) is technically illegal. I'm really not sure if this happens often or not though.

(oh yeah, Wid: I like the avatar - I love Rotel gear)

Last edited:
Hi Jon,

Scott (life2short1971) gave me the heads up about a fellow Canadian with a sweet Dorko in need of a tune up. I would happily get it squared away for you for cost of shipping - I can hone the edge and fix up your scales for you.

Dorkos are very high quality razors and the one you've got there is a fine example. PM me if you want me to take a look for you (I'm in Calgary).

Hi Jon,

Scott (life2short1971) gave me the heads up about a fellow Canadian with a sweet Dorko in need of a tune up. I would happily get it squared away for you for cost of shipping - I can hone the edge and fix up your scales for you.

Dorkos are very high quality razors and the one you've got there is a fine example. PM me if you want me to take a look for you (I'm in Calgary).

You guys are awesome.

Believe me, Dallas does some great looking work. You're very lucky to have been given this offer.

how much should I expect to spend on a good beginner razor in shave-ready condition? I understand that I don't want to wreck a good razor, but it seems a little counter productive to try to learn with a poor one. Then I wouldn't know if bad results were due to technique or to a poor razor.

You should be able to get a good beginner razor and strop for less than $50. Obviously, if you want something a little nicer, it will cost a little more money. In terms of poor razor, there is very little chance of that if you buy from a trusted vendor. A higher price does not necessarily a better shave make. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies with straights.

Top Bottom