What's new

Newbie Question

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I should clarify. The $120 was for a RS razor. I did also buy a 2” RS horsehide strop though as well. I’ve gotten used the the x stroke. I then bought a linen strop for the chromox.

I’m in the market for a more premium strop and saving my pennies for either tony Miller or maybe westholme (spelling?).

On the nick ive now definitely become more aware in handling the razor and have a new appreciation how delicate the edge is.

This whole thing is crazy. Not sure why I’m
Enjoying it so much. I’m still looking fwd to each morning and the next shave. Whodda thunk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 2" RS horse strop will be hard to beat. I've considered that RS razor from SS myself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I you have one or maybe two straight Razor. It wouldn’t pay to do your own Honing. The cost of a decent set of stones could cost around $200.00 it wouldn’t be cost effective. A properly honed Razor can last a long time especially if properly stropped prior to each Shave . So if you had to pay say $20.00 a year for a proper Honing you figure it out .

So I’m about a week into my SR journey and going through many of the usual and expected challenges. Also reading tons in these forums!

My question is that I’m curious if I should expect to need to learn to hone myself (assuming I get proficient with the SR). In other words, do most of you SR shavers hone yourselves or is there a large number of folks that simply send out for that service? It seems to me I’d feel a bit helpless not being able to touch things up on a stone myself. Am I way off on that?

Thanks!

Most who stick with it eventually learn to hone their own. It is a long term investment so why not?
You can get by with a minimum investment that will last a lifetime (synthetics).
Most fine enjoyment in it and adventure to different mediums as part of the fun involved.
Learning to hone is a good idea but not necessary. You can always send it out.

Top Bottom