What's new

Newbie Question

So I’m about a week into my SR journey and going through many of the usual and expected challenges. Also reading tons in these forums!

My question is that I’m curious if I should expect to need to learn to hone myself (assuming I get proficient with the SR). In other words, do most of you SR shavers hone yourselves or is there a large number of folks that simply send out for that service? It seems to me I’d feel a bit helpless not being able to touch things up on a stone myself. Am I way off on that?

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with sending your razors out to get honed. In fact, it will allow you to focus on shaving. You can always learn to hone in the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have been using shavettes for that reason. Though to answer your question I believe that one can send out their razors for honing, especially as they are learning. But unless you have some local guy that you can depend on to get similar edges across a few blades that you keep in rotation I believe it will be necessary to learn to hone at some point. Or at least learn to use pastes and/or a finishing hone for touch ups. This will also let you personalize the edge to your liking.

There are lots of folks who seem to keep their razors keen enough to shave with for a year or more using pasted paddles, strops, and balsa. You could start there, it’s doesn’t seem unreasonable to send out your razor once a year if you really don’t want to pick up honeing.
I’m going to try some red and black paste on paddle strops to tune up my razor a bit (pastes arriving in the mail next week) I’ll let you know my results.

Everyone is different I guess, but I deliberately set out to learn how to both shave and hone straights at the same time. I was lucky and turned out I think I have a bit of natural aptitude for honing and I was able to get a shaving edge within my first six weeks of starting to use a straight.

Personally I wanted to be self sufficient and I would have felt a bit vulnerable to accidents or bad stropping if I could not handle honing.

There are lots of folks who seem to keep their razors keen enough to shave with for a year or more using pasted paddles, strops, and balsa. You could start there, it’s doesn’t seem unreasonable to send out your razor once a year if you really don’t want to pick up honeing.
I’m going to try some red and black paste on paddle strops to tune up my razor a bit (pastes arriving in the mail next week) I’ll let you know my results.

Hey thanks. Yup an update would be awesome. Feels like so much to learn. Not that I mind. I’m enjoying the journey for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I wanted to be self sufficient and I would have felt a bit vulnerable to accidents or bad stropping if I could not handle honing.

Yes that’s the dream I suppose. Would love to be self sufficient. I think I’ll be taking the plunge. Just a matter of where to start.

Other opinions are available, but I believe you can't go far wrong checking out Keith V. Johnson on youtube.

Good luck with the journey!

My question is that I’m curious if I should expect to need to learn to hone myself (assuming I get proficient with the SR). In other words, do most of you SR shavers hone yourselves or is there a large number of folks that simply send out for that service? It seems to me I’d feel a bit helpless not being able to touch things up on a stone myself. Am I way off on that?

I wanted to learn to hone pretty much as soon as I knew I'd continue SR shaving. For the reasons you describe.

This may be a bold statement, but it took me about four-five goes in total to get an edge I was very happy with. I began with 'The Method'. It is rightly praised a lot on this forum, being very inexpensive and working extremely well. I tried it and was largely successful the very first time I tried honing. I wanted more durability and less faff, so invested in some synthetic stones after using lapping films the once.

After this I played with my new stones, producing then killing edges on a few different razors. They were quickly passing various HHT tests and tree-topping; learning to finish patiently and strop semi-competently, made them comfortable to shave with and sharper yet.

I head shave and find using an SR slower going on the scalp in comparison to my Feather AC SS. My SRs are sharp and smooth, with edges comparable to professionally-honed razors I've used, but I cannot get them as sharp as an Artist Club blade. Or perhaps I'm not willing to invest in the extra time (and / or kit) required to get them there. As such I reach for them when in a meditative mood. However the SRs shave well and are a delight to use, especially on the less densely-haired face / throat.

The kit I use: Shapton 1.5k, 5k and 8k; Naniwa 12k; Kanayama cordovan strop.

- you could do worse than learn to hone using The Method
- if you then choose to buy stones you may find Japanese synthetics to be excellent value
- stropping well on a good strop makes a big difference to one's edge

I guess this is pretty much common knowledge and suspect the only contentious thing I'm saying is how easy I found learning to hone well. But it's not hard IMO: watch some tutorials on YouTube, be patient and fastidious about cleanliness on the surfaces you're using, and you'll soon make good edges.

Luke

Hey thanks. Yup an update would be awesome. Feels like so much to learn. Not that I mind. I’m enjoying the journey for sure.

It does seem like a lot to learn, especially with so many options out there: synthetic stones, Japanese Naturals, Cotocles, arks, lapping films, pastes, its enough to make your head spin... Most of this stuff isn't cheep either, you could spend thousands on a collection of stones!!!

I'm also new into SR (about a year now), the first straight I shaved with was a Chinese Double Arrow inherited from my grandfather which I had to hone to be able to shave with. Honed it on artificials up to 8k, stropped on the finest leather belt I had, didn't own any strops back then and shaved with it. It was a nightmare shave, but I had a good feeling that I prepared that razor myself. I then got myself the red and black pastes which helped a lot, then that 12k famous stone which helped even more. Honing is not a big deal, as long as you are careful. Set the bevel properly and from there things are quite simple, just be careful to hone the same on the entire length of the blade. Think about our ancestors a few hundred years ago, I am sure they didn't have 40x microscopes and 100 stones, pastes and all that. Most of them had 1 stone and 1 strop which they used to get the job done. I think honing is described as a more complicated thing than it really is on most forums, which keeps beginners away. I recommend you get a cheap razor like a Gold Dollar and learn to hone on it, get it razor sharp, reset it, get it razor sharp again, shave with it etc. Most of the time you will only need to touch up already sharpened blades, which is fairly simple compared to sharpening a blunt razor. But yes, start honing, you will feel good about it and it's not a big deal. I now have a Japanese hone which I can use from a set bevel to shave ready (Narutaki Asagi), a Translucent Arkansas which I haven't yet managed to work out 100% how to use, unsuccessfully tried a vintage coti and waiting for a great little dark blue thuri to arrive. I can hone razors from blunt to shave ready. Didn't have to read 100 million forum threads, didn't have to watch 100 million YouTube videos (but I did watch a few of those 30-40 minutes ones, they help quite a bit). Just keep things simple and after you sharpen on synthetics, try to progress to naturals, the edge they give is much, much better to shave with. You need a good, comfortable edge, not a super sharp one ! The last 2 razors I got myself were already sharpened on the little vintage coti I tried and finished on the thuri I am waiting for. Their edges are so good, a TI Le Grelot and a Le Jaguar 707, great steel they have ! I remember the edges from Naniwa 12k, super sharp but not very comfortable on my dry atopic skin. Better then 8k + pastes anyway. But natural edges are miles better. My Japanese natural (slow Narutaki Asagi) gives edges as sharp as Naniwa 12k but much more comfortable. I tried a top Nakayama Kiita stone, finished a few of my razors on it, also amazingly comfortable edges. These thuri edges are also as good as the Kiita ones, sharp enough (HHT 4-5) and so comfortable, I go against the grain with these razors quite easily and comfortably, not leaving rashes behind. That's what a shaving edge must be able to do. I wish you success with honing and seek to progress to natural stones, don't bother too much whether to go towards the coticule or jNat road, just get whatever natural you can, if you can get a stone that gets razors from a set bevel to finish with it's own slurry, that's great. Experiment, see what kind of edge you find most comfortable and enjoy shaving !

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A705FN folosind Tapatalk

My pastes came in this week. I have red and black stragen-pasta(?), along with a crayon of green chromium-oxide. And three pasted strops, one cheep hanging and one double sided paddle.
My razor was tugging on Friday at the end of the week so I did 20 laps on the chromium Ox, 20 on the red paste, and about 40 on the black. After clean linen and leather my razor was passing the hht for the first time ever!
Shave was good, best since I’ve started back. The pasted strops brought the edge right back to better then it was at the beginning of the week.
Im sure that some others could help out with how long this is sustainable. All said the red and black paste was $10 the paddle strop was $10, (the hanging strop was $10 and I have no idea how much the green crayon cost (I got it about 10 years ago). I bet that someone could make due with just the red and black for an investment of around $20.

I'm also new into SR (about a year now), the first straight I shaved with was a Chinese Double Arrow inherited from my grandfather which I had to hone to be able to shave with. Honed it on artificials up to 8k, stropped on the finest leather belt I had, didn't own any strops back then and shaved with it. It was a nightmare shave, but I had a good feeling that I prepared that razor myself. I then got myself the red and black pastes which helped a lot, then that 12k famous stone which helped even more. Honing is not a big deal, as long as you are careful. Set the bevel properly and from there things are quite simple, just be careful to hone the same on the entire length of the blade. Think about our ancestors a few hundred years ago, I am sure they didn't have 40x microscopes and 100 stones, pastes and all that. Most of them had 1 stone and 1 strop which they used to get the job done. I think honing is described as a more complicated thing than it really is on most forums, which keeps beginners away. I recommend you get a cheap razor like a Gold Dollar and learn to hone on it, get it razor sharp, reset it, get it razor sharp again, shave with it etc. Most of the time you will only need to touch up already sharpened blades, which is fairly simple compared to sharpening a blunt razor. But yes, start honing, you will feel good about it and it's not a big deal. I now have a Japanese hone which I can use from a set bevel to shave ready (Narutaki Asagi), a Translucent Arkansas which I haven't yet managed to work out 100% how to use, unsuccessfully tried a vintage coti and waiting for a great little dark blue thuri to arrive. I can hone razors from blunt to shave ready. Didn't have to read 100 million forum threads, didn't have to watch 100 million YouTube videos (but I did watch a few of those 30-40 minutes ones, they help quite a bit). Just keep things simple and after you sharpen on synthetics, try to progress to naturals, the edge they give is much, much better to shave with. You need a good, comfortable edge, not a super sharp one ! The last 2 razors I got myself were already sharpened on the little vintage coti I tried and finished on the thuri I am waiting for. Their edges are so good, a TI Le Grelot and a Le Jaguar 707, great steel they have ! I remember the edges from Naniwa 12k, super sharp but not very comfortable on my dry atopic skin. Better then 8k + pastes anyway. But natural edges are miles better. My Japanese natural (slow Narutaki Asagi) gives edges as sharp as Naniwa 12k but much more comfortable. I tried a top Nakayama Kiita stone, finished a few of my razors on it, also amazingly comfortable edges. These thuri edges are also as good as the Kiita ones, sharp enough (HHT 4-5) and so comfortable, I go against the grain with these razors quite easily and comfortably, not leaving rashes behind. That's what a shaving edge must be able to do. I wish you success with honing and seek to progress to natural stones, don't bother too much whether to go towards the coticule or jNat road, just get whatever natural you can, if you can get a stone that gets razors from a set bevel to finish with it's own slurry, that's great. Experiment, see what kind of edge you find most comfortable and enjoy shaving !

Thanks for all the info. At the moment I’m leaning towards an 8k and 12k maybe naniwa super or shapton stones. With shapton I’m not sure if the pro series or glass (HC?) is what I need.

I figure I should be able to maintain and learn with those which should keep me going for a bit. I’m hoping that makes sense!

That's good, get used and confident with honing and then start experimenting with naturals. They're the real deal ! Like proper old school straight razor shaving. Stone and strop, then shave !

Seems you got a ton of great advice already. My own input for what it’s worth comes as someone who started with the straight about 9 months ago. Like you, I thought I should at least know how to maintain the thing and keep it sharp and working well, I already have my meat killed for me and my clothes made for me and while I don’t wish to revert back to a caveman existence I think at least a man should be able to keep his own shaver sharp.
I tried pastes at first for refreshing the edge but found them inconsistent. I had two different brands, one was much better than the other. I didn’t want to be relying on something so changeable, and I didn’t want to shell out for expensive stones as I was so new to it so I bought a flat acrylic block and a sheet of 1micron (12k roughly) lapping film. This didn’t work much at first as the guy who I’d bought the razor from had taped the spine when honing. I sent it to someone recommended to have the bevel reset using no tape. It came back sharp as hell but after a few weeks started to dull and I experimented bringing it back to life on the 1micron film. It took a few tries to get my method right and to dial the blade to an edge my face likes but I eventually got there and it was a fun puzzle to solve. Sure I got a few rough shaves along the way but nothing terrible. I’m sure I could’ve kept my razors refreshed like for a couple of years on one sheet cut into three separate pieces. But I bought a progression of films to have on standby from coarse grits right up to 0.3 micron. It cost about £10 I think. I started putting a 0.3 edge on my razors and got to where they are extremely sharp and very smooth. I bought an old razor from an antique shop which wasn’t sharp in the slightest. I cleaned it up a bit just with soap and water and had a go at a full bevel reset and then taking it through the grits all the way up to shave ready. There’s a great guide on the forum on how to do this so I just followed that and did a very passable job if I do say so myself. It’s now one of the smoothest shavers I’ve got. I’ve since set the bevel on a couple of my own razors which had got a little rusty somehow. Same result. The films are consistent, easy to use, cheap and give a perfect edge. At least for me. I usually strop 40 laps on linen after honing and 50 or so on leather. I’m now able to fully maintain my razors as well as bring a completely dull one back to life. I’m no expert but I don’t think you have to be. After a while I bought a Naniwa 12k. It’s much easier to use than films. Because I don’t have to cut anything to size and it seems to cut quicker, but I’m not too experienced with it yet, I wouldn’t say I’m as comfortable getting a great edge with it as I am with films though I did get a brilliant edge on one of 2 Gold Dollars which was the first razor I honed with it. It’ll just take a little time and practice like anything.
But the point is that with a willingness to learn and listen and to experiment and endure a little frustration and maybe a rough shave or two learning to hone and maintain your razor is very do-able and fun and extremely satisfying too.
Best of luck with it all.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I’m about a week into my SR journey and going through many of the usual and expected challenges. Also reading tons in these forums!

Thanks!

You don't need to learn to hone. In fact, it may be a project which slows your shaving progress.

In my experience it's not so easy to become proficient at SR shaving nor is leaning to hone particularly easy.

BOSC.2.SR padded cell.jpg

I'm about 330 shaves into the SR. I'm still learning how to shave as well as I want to. I've been honing the whole time. Sometimes I can get a razor as sharp as I want, but sometimes I can't.

As I'm sure you've discovered a very sharp edge is a must, but it doesn't have to be your edge. Plus, pasted strops are a huge help in keeping an edge sharp should you decide to use them.

1569697806784.png

All that said, there's considerable satisfaction in honing, but the price is the learning curve and the associated frustrations. Not that the stones themselves jump into your hands without passing through the ole credit card.

What razor are you using and who honed it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

You don't need to learn to hone. In fact, it may be a project which slows your shaving progress.

In my experience it's not so easy to become proficient at SR shaving nor is leaning to hone particularly easy.

View attachment 1020899

I'm about 330 shaves into the SR. I'm still learning how to shave as well as I want to. I've been honing the whole time. Sometimes I can get a razor as sharp as I want, but sometimes I can't.

As I'm sure you've discovered a very sharp edge is a must, but it doesn't have to be your edge. Plus, pasted strops are a huge help in keeping an edge sharp should you decide to use them.

View attachment 1020902

All that said, there's considerable satisfaction in honing, but the price is the learning curve and the associated frustrations. Not that the stones themselves jump into your hands without passing through the ole credit card.

What razor are you using and who honed it?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim. I’m using a Rasoir Sabre ($120) from
jarrod at Superior Shave. I’ve just started with chromium Oxide to do some refreshes myself. However just today I noticed a very visible nick towards the toe of the blade. My fingernail gets caught on it when I run my nail over that spot. Not sure how long it’s been there but I’ve been baffled over the last week or more why my face has been more irratated with some
Bumps and wondering if that nick could be the culprit. Anyway, sending it off to Nelson on Monday for a hone to start over again. Also making me realize I need a 2nd and 3rd razor for times like this! Thanks! Pkrip

Seems you got a ton of great advice already. My own input for what it’s worth comes as someone who started with the straight about 9 months ago. Like you, I thought I should at least know how to maintain the thing and keep it sharp and working well, I already have my meat killed for me and my clothes made for me and while I don’t wish to revert back to a caveman existence I think at least a man should be able to keep his own shaver sharp.
I tried pastes at first for refreshing the edge but found them inconsistent. I had two different brands, one was much better than the other. I didn’t want to be relying on something so changeable, and I didn’t want to shell out for expensive stones as I was so new to it so I bought a flat acrylic block and a sheet of 1micron (12k roughly) lapping film. This didn’t work much at first as the guy who I’d bought the razor from had taped the spine when honing. I sent it to someone recommended to have the bevel reset using no tape. It came back sharp as hell but after a few weeks started to dull and I experimented bringing it back to life on the 1micron film. It took a few tries to get my method right and to dial the blade to an edge my face likes but I eventually got there and it was a fun puzzle to solve. Sure I got a few rough shaves along the way but nothing terrible. I’m sure I could’ve kept my razors refreshed like for a couple of years on one sheet cut into three separate pieces. But I bought a progression of films to have on standby from coarse grits right up to 0.3 micron. It cost about £10 I think. I started putting a 0.3 edge on my razors and got to where they are extremely sharp and very smooth. I bought an old razor from an antique shop which wasn’t sharp in the slightest. I cleaned it up a bit just with soap and water and had a go at a full bevel reset and then taking it through the grits all the way up to shave ready. There’s a great guide on the forum on how to do this so I just followed that and did a very passable job if I do say so myself. It’s now one of the smoothest shavers I’ve got. I’ve since set the bevel on a couple of my own razors which had got a little rusty somehow. Same result. The films are consistent, easy to use, cheap and give a perfect edge. At least for me. I usually strop 40 laps on linen after honing and 50 or so on leather. I’m now able to fully maintain my razors as well as bring a completely dull one back to life. I’m no expert but I don’t think you have to be. After a while I bought a Naniwa 12k. It’s much easier to use than films. Because I don’t have to cut anything to size and it seems to cut quicker, but I’m not too experienced with it yet, I wouldn’t say I’m as comfortable getting a great edge with it as I am with films though I did get a brilliant edge on one of 2 Gold Dollars which was the first razor I honed with it. It’ll just take a little time and practice like anything.
But the point is that with a willingness to learn and listen and to experiment and endure a little frustration and maybe a rough shave or two learning to hone and maintain your razor is very do-able and fun and extremely satisfying too.
Best of luck with it all.
Thanks for all
The scoop. I’m definitely realizing I want to be self sufficient and will
Enjoy the journey. That’s not to say though that I won’t be sending out for honing as needed lol. Thanks again !

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks Jim. I’m using a Rasoir Sabre ($120) from
jarrod at Superior Shave. I’ve just started with chromium Oxide to do some refreshes myself. However just today I noticed a very visible nick towards the toe of the blade. My fingernail gets caught on it when I run my nail over that spot. Not sure how long it’s been there but I’ve been baffled over the last week or more why my face has been more irratated with some
Bumps and wondering if that nick could be the culprit. Anyway, sending it off to Nelson on Monday for a hone to start over again. Also making me realize I need a 2nd and 3rd razor for times like this! Thanks! Pkrip

I hope you're not putting CrOx on that strop.

Jarrod sells two Rasoir Sabre strops (or more). I think at the price point you mention yours is the horse (shell) strop, discussed in this thread. If so, it's a very fine strop.

CrOx and other pastes should be used on cheap strops and such, link to discussion.

I suppose most of us have chipped a great edge. I know I have. It's part of how we learn to be very protective of the edges and very careful with handling them.

If you have the strop I have you're a fortunate fellow. In my opinion it can not be beat as a workhorse strop. It's very heavy as you know, but I've taken mine on car trips and know it travels well; roll it up with the stropping surface on the outside.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hope you're not putting CrOx on that strop.

Jarrod sells two Rasoir Sabre strops (or more). I think at the price point you mention yours is the horse (shell) strop, discussed in this thread. If so, it's a very fine strop.

CrOx and other pastes should be used on cheap strops and such, link to discussion.

I suppose most of us have chipped a great edge. I know I have. It's part of how we learn to be very protective of the edges and very careful with handling them.

If you have the strop I have you're a fortunate fellow. In my opinion it can not be beat as a workhorse strop. It's very heavy as you know, but I've taken mine on car trips and know it travels well; roll it up with the stropping surface on the outside.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I should clarify. The $120 was for a RS razor. I did also buy a 2” RS horsehide strop though as well. I’ve gotten used the the x stroke. I then bought a linen strop for the chromox.

I’m in the market for a more premium strop and saving my pennies for either tony Miller or maybe westholme (spelling?).

On the nick ive now definitely become more aware in handling the razor and have a new appreciation how delicate the edge is.

This whole thing is crazy. Not sure why I’m
Enjoying it so much. I’m still looking fwd to each morning and the next shave. Whodda thunk it.

Top Bottom