What's new

Newbie question(s)

Hi everyone!! I tried my first straight shave this morning and compared to my DE it seemed quite tuggy. Is this normal? It was tugging bad enough that I switched to the DE for the first pass and did most of the second pass with the straight. I bought the straight shave starter kit from razor emporium with a Gold Dollar which is supposedly honed. I guess what I’m wondering is if you think it’s the razor or technique or both?
Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
Was your razor properly honed and stropped??

Also, you might check in with the guys on the straight razor forums.

Was your razor properly honed and stropped??

Also, you might check in with the guys on the straight razor forums.
Thanks, I’m still figuring out how to navigate the site. It was supposedly honed and I tried to strop it but I’m a newbie so I’m sure technique is a factor

My first SR shave seemed 'tuggy' as well. I had it come shave ready from a very reputable individual who restores SRs professionally. It quickly improved as my technique improved.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Raymond.

It can be difficult for new straight razor users to ascertain true shave readyness of a razor. There are tree topping tests and such, but they are very subjective. Maybe add your general location and someone close to you may be able to give it a look.

Welcome to the forum Raymond.

It can be difficult for new straight razor users to ascertain true shave readyness of a razor. There are tree topping tests and such, but they are very subjective. Maybe add your general location and someone close to you may be able to give it a look.

I have since ordered a new Dovo and paid to get it honed, I haven’t received it yet but I’m anxious to see how it feels comparatively. I’m in the Atlanta area if anyone is or knows a honemeister nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!! I tried my first straight shave this morning and compared to my DE it seemed quite tuggy. Is this normal? It was tugging bad enough that I switched to the DE for the first pass and did most of the second pass with the straight. I bought the straight shave starter kit from razor emporium with a Gold Dollar which is supposedly honed. I guess what I’m wondering is if you think it’s the razor or technique or both?
Thanks!
Dave
Razor Emporium is fairly reputable, so I am guessing it is more about the technique. A well-honed Gold Dollar can have just as keen of an edge as a higher quality razor. It just likely won't hold that edge for as long.

Being that you are a newb, I highly recommend videos from Lynn S. Abrams on Youtube. He explains things clearly and starts with the basics.

My guess is that better prep, proper angle, good stropping, and a little bit of face stretching will alleviate the tugginess. But don't be ashamed to use the DE when and where you are not yet comfortable with the straight. Also keep in mind that a straight razor blade isn't always going to shear through your whiskers in the same way that a much thinner DE blade will. Doesn't mean the straight will tug, but it's just a different sensation.

You need to stretch the skin (not required for DE) and maintain cutting speed, slow strokes or no stretching can cause tugging IME. Preperation and well hydrated whiskers is also important. Strokes should be short (half inch) and brisk.

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ll watch some more videos and try all your suggestions. I’m sure I’ll enjoy shaving with an SR, I’m already enjoying the learning process!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Tuggy is kind of subjective. Sharpness too, but at least it can be sort of quantified. Technique makes a difference. Most professionally honed razors are not half sharp enough for my taste, just sayin. You need to get used to them, though, and use them until you are ready to hone your own and can hone them well. And you cannot do that with poor shave technique. Good prep, tight stretching, low shave angle, those are the key principles.

Top Bottom