What's new

Newbie question: Knot and handle sizes

I have a newbie question about matching knot size and handle size. I'm planning on purchasing a brush handle and knot separately and build the brush myself. If I find a handle that's listed as 28mm, does that mean that a 28mm knot will fit it, or should I get something smaller like a 26mm knot?

It would depend on weather the measurement given is the actual diameter of the hole or if it's saying it is for a 28 mm knot. Different manufacturers May list things differently. It would be best to find a handle you like and measure it when you receive it. Then order a knot accordingly. Unless you are ordering from someone knowledgeable enough to advise you.

Thanks for the info. I'll follow your advice and get the handle first and measure before deciding on knot size.

Reactions: LJS
Cool. When you get a handle you want a little wiggle room for the knot. Some people go with about 1mm some more like 2mm or a little more. The depth the knot is set plus the extra diameter will effect the amount the hairs can spread out with use. It's called bloom. @Rudy Vey or @Graydog may be able to help more with setting depth and how much extra room is ideal. They are both amazing brush artists and much more experienced than me.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Probably choose a handle opening that is 1-2 mm larger than the knot size. However, the "swell", i.e. the size increase just above the glue plug can be much higher (I have seen as much as 5-6 mm, making a 22 mm knot needing a 28 mm hole....), but estimating 2 mm larger is pretty common.

Thank you @Rudy Vey. I forgot about the swell. I've only had to adjust for that once on a really cheap boar knot. So far I have preferred very little bloom on my personal brushes. I like dense knots. This one was for a friend and the swell was so drastic and hard I had to adjust accordingly. I haven't had that issue on any of the Maggard, Golden Nib or Shave forge knots. I do want to set my next knot to get more bloom.

No matter how you try to plan for it you may need to tweak things when you actually have the knot and handle in front of you. A Dremel Drum Sander is invaluable for enlarging the hole when needed. About the only times I can depend on the knot fitting the hole without tweaking is when I order a handle and knot together from Whipped Dog and request that he not glue them together so I can set the loft where I want.

Top Bottom