What's new

Newbie Question and Milestone Reached.

Milestone:
I reached a milestone today; I completely shaved with a SR! Okay it was a shavette, the SR is in the mail. I Lynn Abrams' advice on just starting under the sideburns only on the first day and going from there. Over the past couple of weeks I've gotten a better feel for the SR. I still need to become more at ease with it. I am having a hard time under my nose, my jaw-line, and I am still leaving random patches LOL. But it will come. Regardless, I am patting myself on the back.​
Question:
I received a Parker shavette along with the Shark blades. I have changed them after every shave, even if it was only a partial shave, drying it in the process. I went ahead and broke a Gillette Nacet in half (and it seemed much better). I decided not to swap it out and shave with it again. My question is do I need to "open up" the shavette to dry, even though I am not replacing the blade? I have been only shaving every two to three days, so it will be sitting for a while.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back. I would definitely make sure it is completely dry before putting it away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A major set-back today - made worse with the fact that I should have gone with my gut feeling. Long story short, I nicked myself several times pretty bad. I had a feeling I should have gave the SR shaving a rest for a day. In addition to that, I had recently received a late '40s super speed, and wanted to test that out.

One major problem is that I have become a little more comfortable, and knew I would relax a little too much. I found myself holding the razor totally wrong in my left hand (I am a rightly) without realizing it. On major nick due that.

Anyway, the journey continues! (One of the minor benefits of self-distancing is that I am working from home, so I don't have to go to work all nicked-up...)

It happens... keep going, and dont switch back to an DE!

And try shaving with only your right hand. I dont switch, and have been shaving fine like that with a straight for 6 years! Yeah, you block your vision in the mirror, but you will get used to that quickly.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Milestone:
I reached a milestone today; I completely shaved with a SR! Okay it was a shavette, the SR is in the mail. I Lynn Abrams' advice on just starting under the sideburns only on the first day and going from there. Over the past couple of weeks I've gotten a better feel for the SR. I still need to become more at ease with it. I am having a hard time under my nose, my jaw-line, and I am still leaving random patches LOL. But it will come. Regardless, I am patting myself on the back.​
Question:
I received a Parker shavette along with the Shark blades. I have changed them after every shave, even if it was only a partial shave, drying it in the process. I went ahead and broke a Gillette Nacet in half (and it seemed much better). I decided not to swap it out and shave with it again. My question is do I need to "open up" the shavette to dry, even though I am not replacing the blade? I have been only shaving every two to three days, so it will be sitting for a while.
Thanks!
A shavette is just a maintenance free straight razor - just less forgiving. I use Derby half blades which are , I believe, rather mild and is them about three times between shaved. Also, it isn’t necessary to open and dry it. You will likely get less nicks with a traditional straight because of the fact they are not quite as sharp. In any case, the more you shave, the easier it gets. You aren’t experiencing any thing the rest of us went through. Just stick with and all will be well in a couple of months.

A shavette is just a maintenance free straight razor - just less forgiving. I use Derby half blades which are , I believe, rather mild and is them about three times between shaved. Also, it isn’t necessary to open and dry it. You will likely get less nicks with a traditional straight because of the fact they are not quite as sharp. In any case, the more you shave, the easier it gets. You aren’t experiencing any thing the rest of us went through. Just stick with and all will be well in a couple of months.

Thanks for the response! And I will look into the Derby half blades...

Top Bottom