What's new

Newbie: Pre-First Shave

I'm beginning the straight razor journey. I'll be buying a razor in the next day or two.

It started out of town. I travel for a living, needed a haircut, and happened upon a place that gives a neck shave with a straight razor. (Probably a shavette.)

I was stunned at how close the shave was and, given my sensitive skin, how good it felt afterward.

I began the deep dive into the world of shaving research. I realized, no matter what razor I use, I wasn't doing my skin any favors with my pre and post shave routines. I've ordered some real shave soap, pre-shave oil, a brush, and aftershave balm. Those will help even before the razor.

You'd cringe if I told you my prior shaving habits.

Oh, and went to a local barber shop to get a straight razor shave to experience it. It was nice. I was a tad disappointed that the first and last passes were with an electric. Felt like it wasn't the full experience.

Ah, but the razor. So much information to sort through. I think I know my preferences but I also realize they may change after shaving.

I'm probably going with a 6/8. Strongly leaning toward a Dovo. Probably round tip unless I can find a good value on a Spanish or French tip. I don't want to nick myself, and for the most part I plan on a clean shave across my entire face. But I'd eventually like the ability to shape a goatee if I so choose.

Still trying to find the best value. I'll be getting a beginners stroke but will have the blade honed professionally. Probably get my own honing stones eventually.

There's lots of places to buy. I see that West Coast Shaving offers (what appears to be) free honing services with their blades. Looking at them and a couple of other shops. And suggestions?

-Rouxblade aka Scott

If you have your heart set on a Dovo then buy one. Having said that however it’s more important that whatever straight you buy that it is delivered to you truly shave ready. I don’t know if WCS’s blades are truly shave ready.
I might suggest you might look into a nice clean restored vintage straight from a reputable vendor.
If you try your hand at this and the blade is not shave ready your experience will be ruined and say to yourself this isn’t for me.
You can get nicely restored shave ready blades probably less than a new Dovo.
And don’t strop your shave ready blade until after your first shave.
Good luck

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Before venturing into the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving, you should first read this:

If you then still want to continue your adventure, read this:

I expect that we will soon see you posting in the Straight Razor section of B&B.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A cheap(er) Spanish point SR is the Gold Dollar W59 for about USD 20. May not be easy to find at present. It doesn't come truly shave-ready to my wanted standard, so will probably need to be honed.

Profile Open.jpg

Thanks for, in no particular order, the warning, the guide, the advice, and the welcomes.

My biggest concern is properly maintaining the blade. The list of forum-provided services is awesome. There's a forum member just up the road who does professional honing services for when I need them. I can imagine one day learning to home myself but for now it's shaving and stroping but leaving the honing to the pros.

Ordered my first SR but I leave town tomorrow so i won't have it for 2 weeks. Thinking of grabbing an inexpensive shavette for the duration, and possibly also to use during travel.

Rouxblade aka Scott

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to Badger and Blade my friend! Lots of info for you to digest, and one of (okay, the only) place I call home on the interwebs.

I'm beginning the straight razor journey. I'll be buying a razor in the next day or two.

It started out of town. I travel for a living, needed a haircut, and happened upon a place that gives a neck shave with a straight razor. (Probably a shavette.)

I was stunned at how close the shave was and, given my sensitive skin, how good it felt afterward.

I began the deep dive into the world of shaving research. I realized, no matter what razor I use, I wasn't doing my skin any favors with my pre and post shave routines. I've ordered some real shave soap, pre-shave oil, a brush, and aftershave balm. Those will help even before the razor.

You'd cringe if I told you my prior shaving habits.

Oh, and went to a local barber shop to get a straight razor shave to experience it. It was nice. I was a tad disappointed that the first and last passes were with an electric. Felt like it wasn't the full experience.

Ah, but the razor. So much information to sort through. I think I know my preferences but I also realize they may change after shaving.

I'm probably going with a 6/8. Strongly leaning toward a Dovo. Probably round tip unless I can find a good value on a Spanish or French tip. I don't want to nick myself, and for the most part I plan on a clean shave across my entire face. But I'd eventually like the ability to shape a goatee if I so choose.

Still trying to find the best value. I'll be getting a beginners stroke but will have the blade honed professionally. Probably get my own honing stones eventually.

There's lots of places to buy. I see that West Coast Shaving offers (what appears to be) free honing services with their blades. Looking at them and a couple of other shops. And suggestions?

-Rouxblade aka Scott
I think barbershops that involve any electric razor in a "blade" shave is a mortal sin. I personally would walk out and NOT pay them..... BUT maybe many barbershops are NOT well trained in blade shaving.....and it might be worse if the did 2 pases with your carotid or yugular pumping red.
Research before going in

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia Scott. Thanks for taking the time and checking in with us.

Top Bottom