What's new

Newbie needs help

Hey everyone I know ive asked various questions which I know some of you have read so perhaps I wasnt giving enough info. I have a Gold Dollar 208 carbon steel, I had it honed and when I got it my first shave was great. No razor burn, a little tugging but nothing to major by any means. The next couple of shaves were rougher, I chalked it up to poor stropping technique with a very crappy strop. I always shave after a hot shower, hydrate my face really well and build what I feel is a thick substancial lather whether I use the Proraso cream or the VDH cake. I ordered a Latigo 3 inch strop and 3micron and 1 micron lapping film. I decided when I got the new strop i would do 50 laps on the 1micron and another 30 with a piece of paper underneath. That was by far the BEST shave I ever had. No tugging, burn, skipping. Face felt great. WTG XTG and ATG. My last two shaves have been less then fun. Am I supposed to use these lapping films EVERY time or every other time? What can I do????? I enjoy this shaving incredibly but im obviously doing something wrong or missing something somewhere. Please help. Thanks - Chris

If your shaving angle is too high, you will dull the razor. It could be that or poor stropping. The better your technique, the less often you will need to touch up.

I try to stay as close to 30° as possible but I do notice almost 45 when trying ro get right under my nose. That makes sense. Thanks ill keep working on it.

30* is too wide. You want to have the spine of the razor within one, two at the most, spine widths of your face. Don't forget to stretch your skin with your off hand too.

You should not need to touch up your razor on film after each shave. I have one razor that was honed on film that has never been touched up in at least 20 shaves.

30 degrees is too high IMO. As flat to your face as still cuts. Under the nose I dont do a down pass, just an up and seideways(slicing stroke) be careful when your learning a new stroke. I also use a guillotine cut, slight angle to the stroke, it cuts faster and the edge lasts longer.

Ok guys, I reduced the angle to almost nothing, got mostly suction to my face haha so I made proper adjustments. 1st pass WTG went smooth but noticed it didnt shave very well. I kept saying beard reduction. I did a 2nd pass WTG which was a little better then came some burn. Ok rinsed and did a XTG with touch ups. Slowed way down with the whole process and have gotten better shaves. I looked carefully at the bevel and noticed one side is bigger then the other. GRRRRR. I took 2 pics for more expert eyes. Im at a loss here. $20140123_214214.jpg$20140123_214301.jpgI cant afford an expensive razor.

Since just before Xmas. Inconsistency on my part most likely dont get me wrong, but ive had several great shaves in a row before. Im NO expert by any means.

IMO I think it's your razor. There are so many reports on the inconsistency of Gold Dollar. I started out with a sight unseen from Whipped Dog then moved into a Dovo Best Quality for $80.00. I just recently purchased a WH Morley for $30.00. So you don't need a big budget to get into a quality straight.

The razor is fine. It needs a good honing, that's all. The gold dollar can shave fine with proper honing. I will pif a hone for that razor for shipping.

It was just honed a month ago. I'll stick with my razor theory

A new shaver can do a lot of damage to an edge in a months time with incorrect technique or stropping. I suspect Buca is right. If it shaved pretty well to start and degraded after there is something happening in between that is dulling it prematurely. It will likely need a touch up hone at the very least or possibly more depending on whats wrong. I would recommend sending it to any one of the expert honers we have here (Buca is also very capable, I've tried his edges) to eliminate that variable and then focus on correct stropping technique and keeping very shallow angles while shaving.

I am going to try to touch it up on my 3 micron and 1 micron films following Buca's and everyone elses advice on angle and technique. If that doesn't work, and if the offer still stands then, I will ABSOLUTELY take Buca's offer. Ive heard great things about his razors and his abilities.

It was just honed a month ago. I'll stick with my razor theory
Well I guess you havent been around long enough to have read the posts about gold dollars and the fact that alot of things can happen like stropping issues, high angle tearing up an edge etc. The other day someone was complaining about Whipped dog straights not being sharp enough etc. We all know Larry can hone so you have to look into it a little more before you can say exactly what it is.

I am going to try to touch it up on my 3 micron and 1 micron films following Buca's and everyone elses advice on angle and technique. If that doesn't work, and if the offer still stands then, I will ABSOLUTELY take Buca's offer. Ive heard great things about his razors and his abilities.
The offer stands whenever you need it. PM me for address etc.

I THINK I am stropping correctly, I have a 3 inch strop, I hold it taught, there is some flex in it....perhaps to taught? I know my hand starts to cramp up? Maybe im just not relaxed enough when stropping? I dont know, ive watched videos on all of this, I guess gaining experience is going to be the key as with anything. Should I try the canvas strop aswell?

Top Bottom