What's new

Newbie needs help

I also noticed the blade sits up on the inside of the scales, I always use 2 hands when closing. It will hit them. My micro bolts and washers arrived today so Im going to attempt my weekend scale project out of a acrylic clipboard. If that goes well I have all the stuff to make micarta. Will defineitly be looking for a second razor soon (Buca) and i was telling someone at work about wet shaving now hes interested.

Well, when stropping the key is always to leave the spine connected to the strop throughout all the motions. Never lift the spine. Watch your timing when you flip the razor to change directions as that's when errors can occur and go slowly. It's not a race. Other than that, practice and a few nicks later (in the beginning and even sometimes later on) eventually you have an "ah ha" moment and it all clicks.

I THINK I am stropping correctly, I have a 3 inch strop, I hold it taught, there is some flex in it....perhaps to taught? I know my hand starts to cramp up? Maybe im just not relaxed enough when stropping? I dont know, ive watched videos on all of this, I guess gaining experience is going to be the key as with anything. Should I try the canvas strop aswell?
Just hold it tight enough where it doesn't sag more than an inch while your using it. And nice and easy. If you can or know how to use the hht test, you can gauge whether your stropping is benefiting the edge or degrading it. Theres a lot going on at the same time so it wont happen in a week or a month, but more like a little everyday.

Ok friends this is what i did: 60 laps 3 micron
60 laps 1 micron
60 laps 1 micron with paper underneath
30 laps 1 micron with paper underneath and cream
50 laps strop

I do not. Only 3micron and 1 micron. The bevel is there and looks good. Ill shave tomorrow and hopefully all will be well.

Eventually ill get the papers that ive seen listed on BB for doing a full razor. I think once I know hiw to shave that'll help me understand honing better.

Ok guys, just shaved. 2 passes WTG, Cold water shave. Hot shower first, made my cream with cold water, re wet with cold water, rinsed with cold water...you all get the idea. Changed my stroke considerbly. Did shorter 1-2 spine width strokes rather then 30ish degree strokes. Paid more attention to the changing directions of hair growth on my neck. for under my chin I actually went weak handed side strokes and that solved that part of the problem. Cant say for sure if the freezing cold water made a difference or not. Im sure all variables played there part. Next time I will try same stroke methods with hot water and see if theres a change. I can say I have 0 and I mean 0 irritation on my neck, chin or upper lip. Oh yea, final rinse was cold water too, that was rough hahaha and my aftershave is the Nivea Sensitive. Lemme know your thoughts. Thanks guys - Chris

I went cold water shave a long time ago and haven't looked back. Zero irritation tells you something. I don't use ice water, just as cold as it is from the tap.

Thats what I meant, its cold for this area haha. I should probably just stick with cold water. Ill get used to it.

Top Bottom