What's new

Newbie needs help figuring out how to acquire Palmolive and/or Arko sticks.

I cannot believe there is no Turkish market or middle eastern store in Sweden or Germany that ships or you could drive to in Sweden.

Thread update:

I got my sample pack of Palmolive, Arko and Tabac a week ago.

Today, after a successful week on the Arko grind, I decided it was time to try the Tabac.

The Tabac lather needs more water than I'm used to. A lot more. I had to work a fair bit to get what I'm looking for.
The scent is of course more mature and probably preferable to the Arko for sure. The post shave is better than all my current soaps (and I do have some artisans).

However, the residue smell in my brush is inferior to the fresh smell left behind by my go-to cream, the Proraso green. I had a similar problem with the Arko. Maybe this is trait common to all tallow soaps?

Anyway, considering my success with the Arko I ordered a pack of 12 sticks. Including shipping + tax I ended up paying $1.30 / stick. Hopefully the Arko wont degrade over time, I think 12 sticks will last forever.

I will probably stack up some Tabac too if it continues to perform like it did today (and I get used to lathering it).

Thanks for the useful tips. I am confident I can get my cheap shaving going now :thumbup:

Thread update:

I got my sample pack of Palmolive, Arko and Tabac a week ago.

Today, after a successful week on the Arko grind, I decided it was time to try the Tabac.

The Tabac lather needs more water than I'm used to. A lot more. I had to work a fair bit to get what I'm looking for.
The scent is of course more mature and probably preferable to the Arko for sure. The post shave is better than all my current soaps (and I do have some artisans).

However, the residue smell in my brush is inferior to the fresh smell left behind by my go-to cream, the Proraso green. I had a similar problem with the Arko. Maybe this is trait common to all tallow soaps?

Anyway, considering my success with the Arko I ordered a pack of 12 sticks. Including shipping + tax I ended up paying $1.30 / stick. Hopefully the Arko wont degrade over time, I think 12 sticks will last forever.

I will probably stack up some Tabac too if it continues to perform like it did today (and I get used to lathering it).

Thanks for the useful tips. I am confident I can get my cheap shaving going now :thumbup:
Hi,
did you get the Palmolive Stick or the Cream? Palmolive has an inoffensive soapy smell and is easier to lather than Tabac.

So I finally finished my Tabac week.

In the beginning I had some problems face lathering the Tabac. In my desperate attempts to add water and get to that slick thin ladder I desire I used my badger with a zealous eagerness that might have been a bit much tbh.

Apparently brush burn (irritation from a soft and silky silvertip) is a thing. Who knew.

Once I realized what caused my irritation I improvised, adapted and overcame! (yeah, I was in the military you see)

I can now achieve an irritation free BBS with no hustle using the Tabac (face lather) and my Rockwell 6S. I even kinda got used to the stainless surface finish of my razor. But only kinda.

did you get the Palmolive Stick or the Cream?

I bought the stick version and will have a go tomorrow. Hopefully it will deliver since I have an important meeting at 10:00 and need to look the part.

Managing to put the "of course", "probably" and "for sure" into a single sentence like this is an art-form! 😁 😂 🤣

With Arko, everything is possible, for sure! :whistling:

So I finally finished my Tabac week.

In the beginning I had some problems face lathering the Tabac. In my desperate attempts to add water and get to that slick thin ladder I desire I used my badger with a zealous eagerness that might have been a bit much tbh.

Apparently brush burn (irritation from a soft and silky silertip) is a thing. Who knew.

Once I realized what caused my irritation I improvised, adapted and overcame! (yeah, I was in the military you see)

I can now achieve an irritation free BBS with no hustle using the Tabac and my Rockwell 6S. I even kinda got used to the stainless surface finish of my razor. But only kinda.

I bought the stick version and will have a go tomorrow. Hopefully it will deliver since I have an important meeting at 10:00 and need to look the part.

With Arko, everything is possible, for sure! :whistling:
Do a shave in the evening it should hold well until 10:00.

There is a huge department store in Stockholm...NK.
They have a great selection of shave stuff including Barber & Books products. Well worth a try

Top Bottom