What's new

Newbie, my wet shaving technique...

Hello,

I recently started into the world of wet shaving...and got seriously hooked:).

So much to know/learn, but loving the process.

My first shaves were "not" great, ie: nick's, and some razor burn.

I have a somewhat course beard, mostly around the chin, mouth, moustache area...but, quite "sensitive skin".

I recently purchased a Merker c23, Merker Futur (polished), Kent silver tip badger brush, and mostly Proraso products (all 4 scents).

After many enjoyable hours on YouTube and learning various techniques and adding a couple of my own....my shaves have improved,...not perfect...but, defintely an improvement.

My routine, many my find over kill, but my last 3 shaves, incorporating the following technique...has definitively helped:

1. Hot shower
2. While in the shower, l use just regular hair conditioner on my bearded area of my face, leave it on (duration of the shower) and eventually wash it away.
3. I use Proraso shaving cream (lather up), apply to the face.
4. Then l take a warm, wet towel, and apply over the lathered face, leave on for approx. 2 minutes.

My beard follicles are now smooth and supple.

5. I add a few dabs of beard oil (mountain barber). Work into the face.

6. Followed by Proraso green preshave lotion, work into the face.

7. I fill my sink with hot water, and place my shaving brush/razor and submerge my shaving bowl up to the lip...

To keep the shaving bowl warm and thus prevents the lather from cooling off. I even have a bit of boiling water (from a kettle)...to keep sink water warm.

8. Then use 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG.

9. However, what really works for me, l rinse my face (after each pass)...

And use the same preshave technique,
oil, preshave lotion and then warm lather,...for each pass.

10. After the 3rd pass, l use wet allum bar.

11. Then Rinse face, apply Proraso green aftershave balm (moisturizing/cooling effect).

12. I also use a Proraso aftershave splash, but just on the back of neck...for a fresh scent and a bit clubman talcum powder.

13. When l'm done...a use a ice pack (wrapped in cotton cloth holder) and apply to the face...to further help cool the face and close the pores (5 minutes).

Yes, probably overkill...but, no razor burn...and rarely a nick...close to bbs.

Now l really look forward to a wet shave. I love the whole process, put on a bit of jazz music, and enjoy the time spent.

PS: Due to the close bbs shave, l don't need to shave for a couple of days.

Thanks for reading,
Art.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Hello,

I recently started into the world of wet shaving...and got seriously hooked:).

So much to know/learn, but loving the process.

My first shaves were "not" great, ie: nick's, and some razor burn.

I have a somewhat course beard, mostly around the chin, mouth, moustache area...but, quite "sensitive skin".

I recently purchased a Merker c23, Merker Futur (polished), Kent silver tip badger brush, and mostly Proraso products (all 4 scents).

After many enjoyable hours on YouTube and learning various techniques and adding a couple of my own....my shaves have improved,...not perfect...but, defintely an improvement.

My routine, many my find over kill, but my last 3 shaves, incorporating the following technique...has definitively helped:

1. Hot shower
2. While in the shower, l use just regular hair conditioner on my bearded area of my face, leave it on (duration of the shower) and eventually wash it away.
3. I use Proraso shaving cream (lather up), apply to the face.
4. Then l take a warm, wet towel, and apply over the lathered face, leave on for approx. 2 minutes.

My beard follicles are now smooth and supple.

5. I add a few dabs of beard oil (mountain barber). Work into the face.

6. Followed by Proraso green preshave lotion, work into the face.

7. I fill my sink with hot water, and place my shaving brush/razor and submerge my shaving bowl up to the lip...

To keep the shaving bowl warm and thus prevents the lather from cooling off. I even have a bit of boiling water (from a kettle)...to keep sink water warm.

8. Then use 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG.

9. However, what really works for me, l rinse my face (after each pass)...

And use the same preshave technique,
oil, preshave lotion and then warm lather,...for each pass.

10. After the 3rd pass, l use wet allum bar.

11. Then Rinse face, apply Proraso green aftershave balm (moisturizing/cooling effect).

12. I also use a Proraso aftershave splash, but just on the back of neck...for a fresh scent and a bit clubman talcum powder.

13. When l'm done...a use a ice pack (wrapped in cotton cloth holder) and apply to the face...to further help cool the face and close the pores (5 minutes).

Yes, probably overkill...but, no razor burn...and rarely a nick...close to bbs.

Now l really look forward to a wet shave. I love the whole process, put on a bit of jazz music, and enjoy the time spent.

PS: Due to the close bbs shave, l don't need to shave for a couple of days.

Thanks for reading,
Art.

Here's my recent wet shaving supply inventory....
proxy.php
proxy.php

You mentioned that you have a beard. What areas are you shaving. Is it mainly the neck (I've never had a beard and thus the questions)?

Sorry, l wasn't clear and there's one typo.

I was referring to my facial hair, in general :"course beard".

l shave my entire face/neck area.

Typo: mountain "barber" oil.

Cheers.

Hey Ted,

Thank you.

The Lavender is a Portuguese cologne/aftershave.

I believe it's made from the same factory/location since the 1930's.

It's in a beautiful Apothecary style green bottle, with a great lavender scent.

It's arguably my favourite aftershave.

Reminds me of that great fresh cut barber shop smell.

I stopped using regular cologne, many years ago (ie: Armani, Polo etc, etc).

I only wear aftershave style scents:

Proraso (mostly green, or red), founded in 1908.
Pinaud clubman talcum powder (founded in 1810).
Arch brito, Lavender, founded approx. 1930's.

Hey Ted,

Thank you.

The Lavender is a Portuguese cologne/aftershave.

I believe it's made from the same factory/location since the 1930's.

It's in a beautiful Apothecary style green bottle, with a great lavender scent.

It's arguably my favourite aftershave.

Reminds me of that great fresh cut barber shop smell.

I stopped using regular cologne, many years ago (ie: Armani, Polo etc, etc).

I only wear aftershave style scents:

Proraso (mostly green, or red), founded in 1908.
Pinaud clubman talcum powder (founded in 1810).
Arch brito, Lavender, founded approx. 1930's.

Forgot, one other scent: Booster Barber shop polar ice aftershave, founded: 1920.
Great refreshing scent.

Interesting. Nice write up. I would be curious to know how many folks repeat the full regiment, if you will, of treatment during the second, and, for those folks who opt for, the third pass? Might make for an interesting poll. By 'full regiment', I mean including the pre-shave oil, etc., not just the lather, as prep work for the second and third passes, as you do.

Welcome and congrats on your new interest. It sounds like you have found a good regimen that works for you. And you have collected some great gear!

Top Bottom