What's new

Newbie: My experience so far

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
First time that I tried to shave it was a disaster. I set up the futur in level 4 and did the first two passes with level 4 WTG, ATG. After that I set it up on level 1 and did the last pass against the grain. I had a lot of cuts and weepers.

Second time, I set it up in lower level 2 for the first two passes and level 1 for the last pass. Still I got some cuts, and my skin was irritated especially in the area of the neck.

That sounds like blade flex to me. Add a shim between base and blade.

Prewar Tech + one Shim =... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/prewar-tech-one-shim.516377/#post-8930003

If you find that helps, think about a razor with a more rigid design. A rigidly held, stable blade is a smooth blade.

Lots of good advice, Mapping your beard grain growth is another good way to reduce irritation regardless of what razor using.
Understanding some Shaving terms also help WTG,XTG & ATG and some fellows can not shave Against the Grain because of sensitive skin.
Here is some illustrations that might help you on your learning curve.View attachment 1047407
View attachment 1047408 View attachment 1047409 Have some great shaves!

Thanks thats really helpful!!!

Thanks a lot for the reply guys. I noticed that the pre-shave oil make also noticable difference during the shaving.

Riding the cap what does exactly mean?
Riding the cap means the handle is closer to perpendicular to your face. You have the cap of the razor against your skin and the blade just barely touching your skin. This is also called using a shallow angle since the blade angle is somewhere around 30 degrees from your face. You can also ride the safety bar, aka use a steep angle. The blade angle would be more like 60 degrees. Not all razors or blades will work with a steep angle. Pretty much all of them work well with a shallow angle. You can also just stay in the middle of those two angles but you'll feel the most blade that way and with a razor that has a lot of blade exposure, it's the most prone to giving you irritation IMO. I tend to use a steep angle with razors that can do it and the Futur can. You can experiment and see what works best for you.

Riding the cap means the handle is closer to perpendicular to your face. You have the cap of the razor against your skin and the blade just barely touching your skin. This is also called using a shallow angle since the blade angle is somewhere around 30 degrees from your face. You can also ride the safety bar, aka use a steep angle. The blade angle would be more like 60 degrees. Not all razors or blades will work with a steep angle. Pretty much all of them work well with a shallow angle. You can also just stay in the middle of those two angles but you'll feel the most blade that way and with a razor that has a lot of blade exposure, it's the most prone to giving you irritation IMO. I tend to use a steep angle with razors that can do it and the Futur can. You can experiment and see what works best for you.

Thanks for the reply. I try to use steep angle. First I start perpendicular and increase the angle to see at which point it starts cutting the hair. Then I try to keep this angle constant.

My latest shave was almost flawless!!!

Paid extra attention in the angle of the razor and in the pressure.

I used only cold water. Propaso pre-shave cream, and the arko stick soap. Merkur Futur on 1 setting and perma-sharp blade. I did only two passes, one WTG and the second ATG.

No cut at all, and no irritation.

For after-shave I did one pass with alum block and then I applied nivea after-shave cool sensitive balm.

Nice feeling :c9::c9::c9::c9:

Top Bottom