What's new

Newbie looking to find what works best for me.

Hi everyone my name is Zachary but you can call me captain ridiculous. My wonderful wife has given me that nick name my supper powers are Love kindness and gentleness. Shaving seems to be my kryptonite . I have eczema with dry skin with a coarse beard. I have found that my best combination so far the least irritation for me has been my west coast shaving closed comb with a feather blade , prep , wholly kaw bare siero with nivia sensitive skin with a heavy moisturizer at the end. I am highly allergic to the proraso line have a de89 and bevel razors that do not work for my coarse hair and i seem to get brush burn from boar or silver-tip badger hair brushes. I have had a varity pack of blades it seems the smother they are the more irritated my skin gets. I would be happy for advice on hardware or products that could make my shaves more comfortable. Thanks in advance have a super fantastic day with peace and joy that transcends understanding. Without wax captain ridiculous.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome Captain Ridiculous! Alas, I have no words of wisdom to share as I am blessed with a completely unchallenging middle of the road whiskers and skin situation. I did want to chime in and say welcome and that soon suggestions will be on the way as I am certain others here do struggle with similar issues. Hang in there and all my best.

Im not sure how to edit post so i added a reply I forgot to say pre shave oil or gel does not work good for me my skin absorbs them and then i get pimples. i also make sure to wash my face before i use vanicream face wash for that

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B. You might want to seriously consider a bowl or scuttle. I would expect that to eliminate the possibility of brush burn.

Warm lather from a scuttle is a little bit of heaven in the colder months.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Welcome, Captain! You'll find some answers here, I'm sure. Many of us have. How does your skin react to mentholated aftershaves? Thinking the cooling effect may help irritation. Also, have you considered cold water shaving? That has helped me with irritation issues.

Welcome to B&B. You might want to seriously consider a bowl or scuttle. I would expect that to eliminate the possibility of brush burn.

Warm lather from a scuttle is a little bit of heaven in the colder months.
thank you for the suggestion i have tried the q scuttle i might revisit it .

Welcome, Captain! You'll find some answers here, I'm sure. Many of us have. How does your skin react to mentholated aftershaves? Thinking the cooling effect may help irritation. Also, have you considered cold water shaving? That has helped me with irritation issues.
I might give the mentholated aftershave any recommendations on a good one preferably a balm style

Welcome.
Sorry to tell you, but much of the advice you will get will be only half right. Which half? Who knows!
Your skin and your beard are just that — yours.
I can only suggest experimentation. Get small samples off soaps, creams, balms, etc. Try different razors and blade combinations. When you find an item that works, keep it and look for other items that compliment it. Change only one thing at a time so you don’t mistake which item made the results change.
Do read all the great advice you will find on B&B, but don’t expect every thing to be better for you. You are unique, but many of us may have similar issues and suggestions that may work for you. Be patient. It will work.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I might give the mentholated aftershave any recommendations on a good one preferably a balm style

Mentholated balms...hmmmm...let me look. Although I do not have this balm...I have the splash. Their product line is very good.

Shave Balm - Nor'easter — Captain's Choice - https://www.captainschoicestore.com/all/shave-balm-45th-parallel-wad6t

The text string in the link shows 45th Parallel, but it should take you to Captain's Choice Nor'Easter. That's a mentholated balm.

Welcome.
Sorry to tell you, but much of the advice you will get will be only half right. Which half? Who knows!
Your skin and your beard are just that — yours.
I can only suggest experimentation. Get small samples off soaps, creams, balms, etc. Try different razors and blade combinations. When you find an item that works, keep it and look for other items that compliment it. Change only one thing at a time so you don’t mistake which item made the results change.
Do read all the great advice you will find on B&B, but don’t expect every thing to be better for you. You are unique, but many of us may have similar issues and suggestions that may work for you. Be patient. It will work.
Well said.

Several other good suggestions already stated above. I especially like the one recommendation about bowl lathering to cut back time that the brush is scrubbing your face thus maybe reducing brush burn.

My very cursory analysis based on the DE89 (a mild razor) not working for you, problems with irritation when using smoother blades and having to use a sharp blade, such as a Feather, in your WCS closed comb razor (a mild-medium razor) is that a more aggressive razor might work better for you. I could be wrong, I know I have been plenty of times in the past.

Having to go over areas multiple times, using more pressure than just that which is required the keep the razor in contact with your skin and/or having to resort to using a aggressively sharp razor blade (such as a Feather), all of which can cause irritation, are signs that your razor might be too mild. With a more aggressive razor you should be able to shave more efficiently with a lighter touch and smoother blades might adequately work well enough to not cause as much irritation as they would in a razor that is too mild.

Well said.

Several other good suggestions already stated above. I especially like the one recommendation about bowl lathering to cut back time that the brush is scrubbing your face thus maybe reducing brush burn.

My very cursory analysis based on the DE89 (a mild razor) not working for you, problems with irritation when using smoother blades and having to use a sharp blade, such as a Feather, in your WCS closed comb razor (a mild-medium razor) is that a more aggressive razor might work better for you. I could be wrong, I know I have been plenty of times in the past.

Having to go over areas multiple times, using more pressure than just that which is required the keep the razor in contact with your skin and/or having to resort to using a aggressively sharp razor blade (such as a Feather), all of which can cause irritation, are signs that your razor might be too mild. With a more aggressive razor you should be able to shave more efficiently with a lighter touch and smoother blades might adequately work well enough to not cause as much irritation as they would in a razor that is too mild.
what would be a good razor to try i was considering a slant or an adjustable but i have to watch carefully how much i am spending. Suggestions on a few razors would be appreciated

what would be a good razor to try i was considering a slant or an adjustable but i have to watch carefully how much i am spending. Suggestions on a few razors would be appreciated
To see if more aggressive razor might work better for you while not having to purchase anything else you can try using shims.

You can make a shim out a used DE razor blade by using scissors to cut the cutting edge off of both sides of the blade. (If you cut over a trash can you the blade edges should fall right in there by avoiding having to handle them.) By placing the shim (or shims) between your razor blade and the bottom plate of your razor you will increase the blade gap and blade exposure making the razor more aggressive.

Top Bottom