What's new

Newbie looking for Razor under $20.00

Hey @Steve K

There seem to be a lot of posts for the SLOC here... If you are interested in that one, and CONUS, I have the SLOC razor head I can give you. You'll need to find a handle for it, though, as the handle got transplanted to a different razor. Lol.

Send me a PM if this works.
Hmm, thought that would be gone by now. Lol.

Well, if I don't hear from @Steve K by tomorrow, I'll offer it to someone else interested.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hmm, thought that would be gone by now. Lol.

Well, if I don't hear from @Steve K by tomorrow, I'll offer it to someone else interested.

It's a lot under $20. Just saying...

The design of the razor is fabulous. I'd long wanted an old Grand Shave King Self Lubricating razor, but they're both very hard to find, very expensive, and sometimes have, so I've heard, damaged threads; the original though is said to be a great shaver. The qualities which make it so cool looking are also said to make it work just like the inventor claimed.

6-12-18.FatHandle.SCOC.640.Kit.JPG

Anyway, the SLOC continues that tradition, and might improve upon it. It, unlike the PAA version of the same vintage razor, not only looks great but also shaves great (according to my face). The RR SLOC rapidly became one of my very favorite DE razors.

I've read the exact same razor can be ordered from Yaqi but I have the RR SLOC version. The only improvement needed is it should be make in SS or some other more "permanent" alloy, but, for the price, the razor as presented is very hard to beat.

The SLOC is very easy to get the hang of and very easy to shave with.

The OP is missing out by not taking you up on it IMO.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Has the Tiger arrived yet?

Yes it has and I am happy with it,Very nice razor! Glad I took your advice and I couldn't pass up the price. Didn't realize there were more posts on my thread here as well with suggestions.Been De shaving for a weeks now and getting the hang of everything.I'm sure I will try more razors soon and love the help from this forum.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes it has and I am happy with it,Very nice razor! Glad I took your advice and I couldn't pass up the price. Didn't realize there were more posts on my thread here as well with suggestions.Been De shaving for a weeks now and getting the hang of everything.I'm sure I will try more razors soon and love the help from this forum.
Glad to hear that the Tiger is working for you.

When you are ready to branch out, the RazoRock SLOC is also an excellent razor that is very reasonably priced.

It's a lot under $20. Just saying...

The design of the razor is fabulous. I'd long wanted an old Grand Shave King Self Lubricating razor, but they're both very hard to find, very expensive, and sometimes have, so I've heard, damaged threads; the original though is said to be a great shaver. The qualities which make it so cool looking are also said to make it work just like the inventor claimed.

View attachment 1029102

Anyway, the SLOC continues that tradition, and might improve upon it. It, unlike the PAA version of the same vintage razor, not only looks great but also shaves great (according to my face). The RR SLOC rapidly became one of my very favorite DE razors.

I've read the exact same razor can be ordered from Yaqi but I have the RR SLOC version. The only improvement needed is it should be make in SS or some other more "permanent" alloy, but, for the price, the razor as presented is very hard to beat.

The SLOC is very easy to get the hang of and very easy to shave with.

The OP is missing out by not taking you up on it IMO.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's hands down the best OC I've used. Unfortunately, for me, OC always means uncomfortable. It's not painful, or agressive, really. Just the feeling. Kinda like some people don't like certain food textures... It's that face feel "texture" I suppose. Lol.

The beauty is, when you try to clean up at the end of a shave, you just keep the razor upright, drench it in water then carefully lift it to your face. All of that water you kept trapped in the razor really adds to the cushion. Awesome cleanup razor.

I think if they made a closed bottom comb, open slatted top cap, it would have worked for me. Unfortunately, King Gillette didn't go that route to begin with. Lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's hands down the best OC I've used. Unfortunately, for me, OC always means uncomfortable. It's not painful, or agressive, really. Just the feeling. Kinda like some people don't like certain food textures... It's that face feel "texture" I suppose. Lol.

The beauty is, when you try to clean up at the end of a shave, you just keep the razor upright, drench it in water then carefully lift it to your face. All of that water you kept trapped in the razor really adds to the cushion. Awesome cleanup razor.

I think if they made a closed bottom comb, open slatted top cap, it would have worked for me. Unfortunately, King Gillette didn't go that route to begin with. Lol.

1572011306842.png

It wasn't a Gillette to begin with.

I doubt it would work as a closed comb, but appreciate that not every one likes an OC. Well, not everyone likes anything we could mention nor should they.

I wonder if it would work for you at a different angle. I find it like most safety razors better at a steep angle at least for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There are a lot of different designs of open combs. I have a Merkur 25C that has a lot of very small teeth. I have sensitive skin and always feel like the comb is raking across my skin. It is my least favorite razor.

At the opposite extreme is the Karve Open Comb (I have a C plate). The teeth are rather large and well rounded providing a very smooth contact between the comb and the skin. I love shaving with that razor. Unfortunately, it does not meet the under $20 criteria.

Well I managed to get in touch with @Steve K , so he'll get the opportunity to try it.

Hopefully it will serve him well, or in the least give some guidance on what razors he likes / doesn't. [emoji846]

I have a Van Der Hagen (twist-to-open) razor. I like it. Works just fine for me. It doesn't get the greatest reviews in here but some, like myself, like it a lot.

If you are OK getting a used razor (plenty of info on B&B regarding how to sanitize a used razor), get a pre-war, post-war or 1950s Gillette Tech. Search eBay and you should be able to find one in decent condition for ~$20.

If you don't care for the idea of used razors, then consider one of these:

View attachment 1023159

Pretty darn good all metal razor for $11 including shipping.

Or, get a RazoRock SLOC for $17 (plus shipping). One of my favorite razors.

Just my opinion and YMMV.
Quick question @never-stop-learning ... Is the handle on that a standard thread .. ie, can you use that handle on most razors? Thanks.

Vintage razors are a great way to go. eBay and Etsy have them. I bought a Gillette slim for $10.50 on eBay and it has given me a lot of adjustable flexibility to learn from.

Top Bottom