What's new

Newbie looking for good aftershaves

You might also want to try “TOBS,” or ‘Taylor of Old Bond Street.”

They make EXCEPTIONAL aftershaves, esp. their “Sandalwood” scent.

Goes on light, and the scents are subtle.

I believe “Maggard” may sell samples.

Good luck! 😎

Thanks all,
I went nuts on top of the chain and got the following
Barrister and Mann Seville Shaving Soap (Excelsior Base)1
Seville Aftershave1
Aftershave Samples - 5ml
Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood Aftershave, 4oz1
Executive Man Aftershave1

Enjoy. The fun part for me when switching to DE in my early 60s was trying new products. I've since gotten old and cranky, (think Oscar from Corner Gas), and I now want an aftershave scent to be gone in 30 minutes. I can't do sandalwood and tend to splash on an alcohol witch hazel, followed by plain Ogallala (a clove scent) or Captain's Choice Bay Rum. If you're in Canada, Italian Barber's a great site to check out.

I can finally try Lilac Vegetal without spending a lot!
Shamelessly stolen from a Maggards review

Customer review
I have to say the scent of this product reminded me of a public urinal (like other reviewers) with the big purple mint deodorizer in the center...Fortunately I got the sample size...tried it and was sent directly to the shower by my wife to wash it off. My wife first grabbed our toddler and sniffed her diaper thinking she had sprung a leak then sniffed my face and promptly made a horrendous face...Then it was shower time and while showering she poured the rest down the sink...Maybe it would lighten up but who wants to smell like a cat peed on their face for 20 minutes??? There are many great floral aftershaves out there but this is not one of them! Sorry Clubman but a least I still love the original.

Shamelessly stolen from a Maggards review

Customer review
I have to say the scent of this product reminded me of a public urinal (like other reviewers) with the big purple mint deodorizer in the center...Fortunately I got the sample size...tried it and was sent directly to the shower by my wife to wash it off. My wife first grabbed our toddler and sniffed her diaper thinking she had sprung a leak then sniffed my face and promptly made a horrendous face...Then it was shower time and while showering she poured the rest down the sink...Maybe it would lighten up but who wants to smell like a cat peed on their face for 20 minutes??? There are many great floral aftershaves out there but this is not one of them! Sorry Clubman but a least I still love the original.
At $2.30 I figure I won't be out much if I hate it. People here make the same comparison with Arko, and while I prefer other scents in my shave soap, Arko does not smell revolting or disturbing.

I also grabbed some Fine Platinum and Green Vetiver, whatever that is, so I'll have some choices when the Lilac arrives.

I also grabbed some Fine Platinum and Green Vetiver
Very nice! I need to order full bottles of those, still have some sample. They are really basic aftershave without skin food, but I mix them with Thayers in my hand. They do have some menthol to them though.

I usually go crazy with the samples from Maggards then feel bad if I have to order from somewhere else because they are out of stock.

Top Bottom