What's new

Newbie looking for advise

Hello people.

I'm fairly new in this whole new world of wet shaving. I've always had a lot of ingrown hairs and neck irritation since i started shaving. When i didn't needed to shave, i started to use the Phillips OneBlade electric, but lately i've been thinking of joining the military of my country (Colombia) so i started to shave again, trying to achieve that irritation free shave.
First, i used the Gillette Skinguard, that had 2 blades and i got a decent shave, but i couldn't get 2 consecutive shave without getting massive irritation on my neck. Then, I bought the Vikings blade The Chieftain JR, Nivea Shave Cream and the Pacific Shaving Co. after shave.
I tried a lot of razors, based on people experience and comments and I ended with two razor blades, the Astra SP (Green) and Gillette 7 o' Clock SE (Yellow) but i can't get more than 4 days without getting a lot of that neck irritation and the last day I even get razor burn on my chin side.

I came to look for a little bit of advise, to what I could use, if I need to change my razor, my cream or aftershave. I already did a shaving map, only do a 2 pass shave, shave with cold water and use an alum block after shaving.

Thank you everyone in advance, and I'm sorry for the english, not my main language.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Whatever you change, just change one thing at a time. That way, when you do find a solution, you will know which thing it was that solved the problem.

Maybe you're not doing enough skin stretching? For the neck, try shaving towards the stretching fingers instead of away. Just be very aware of where the fingers are so you don't cut into them.

Maybe your lather is drying out? If you usually start your passes with the checks first and neck last, then try neck first. Or apply another layer on the neck immediately before shaving it.

Hope you figure it out.

The first thing to try is applying minimal pressure to the razor when guiding it across the skin. Do not press the razor head into the skin. Rather, glide it over the surface letting the blade do all the work without pressing in.

Welcome aboard!

Several suggestions (some reiterating advice above):
1. Stick with one set-up for awhile until you figure things out.
2. NO pressure.
3. Focus on maintaining an optimal razor angle.

You will get there! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Welcome to B&B.
I tried a lot of razors, based on people experience and comments and I ended with two razor blades, the Astra SP (Green) and Gillette 7 o' Clock SE (Yellow) but i can't get more than 4 days without getting a lot of that neck irritation and the last day I even get razor burn on my chin side.
I think your issue is poor technique. Keep working at it and let the blade do the work, don't force it.

Welcome to B&B.

You may consider using a three or two piece razor to start. Not saying your Viking Chieftain JR. is a bad razor. It is a twist to open 'TTO' razor. If anything is misaligned you may be causing irritation from improper gap, misaligned bars, not fully closed butterfly. The list goes on, for a newbie trying to learn technique, learning about how to diagnose a TTO razor should not be on the list.

Like everyone else has suggested, change one thing at a time, learn technique, no pressure. I would get a mild two or three piece razor. The Chieftain is list as a neutrally aggressive TTO, for sensitive skin it may not be the best for you. Also avoid open combs til you get consistent irritation free shaves.

Last edited:
Apply less pressure. Instead of trying to cut as much as possible in one stroke, concentrate on maintaining a perfect cutting angle and let the razor do all the work. You will need to go over areas multiple times no matter what and the less pressure you use, the less irritation will occur as a result. Also be absolutely certain that you are producing quality lather that provides ample cushion. This is often highly overlooked by newer wetshavers.

Welcome to B&B.

You may consider using a three or two piece razor to start. Not saying your Viking Chieftain JR. is a bad razor. It is a twist to open 'TTO' razor. If anything is misaligned you may be causing irritation from improper gap, misaligned bars, not fully closed butterfly. The list goes on, for a newbie trying to learn technique, learning about how to diagnose a TTO razor should not be on the list.

Like everyone else has suggested, change one thing at a time, learn technique, no pressure. I would get a mild two or three piece razor. The Chieftain is list as a neutrally aggressive TTO, for sensitive skin it may not be the best for you. Also avoid open combs til you get consistent irritation free shaves.

I was thinking about the Rockwell 6C, what do you think of it?

I was thinking about the Rockwell 6C, what do you think of it?
Many regard it very highly. I have the 6S, the stainless steel version. The C and S probably shave the same. Butter smooth comfortable shaver. A great choice. The nice thing is you get all 6 plates to try for one price, so no guessing and buying more like other systems.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find that irritation is not an issue for me, but I have bern doing it a very long time. First I soften things up with hot water. I face lather and proceed with three no pressure, easygoing passes with a sharp blade and a mild razor that is fairly heavy. I shower and use a cologne splash as my aftershave. My beard is fairly heavy and coarse. If yours is, you might try this.

Top Bottom