What's new

Newbie kind of question

I am THINKING about getting into straight razors. It will be a good journey when I have the time after the fall rush of work and such. I figure it will be a good winter project. My question is on razor width. Does the wider razor mean more efficient razor? I notice that some are close to an inch. Just curious why. Just doing lots of homework at the moment. That you for any input. Vermonster

First of all the fact that you are thinking about it and doing research means that you’ve already been bitten by the bug, so it’s just a matter of time before you are all in. Welcome to our world!!! As for razor width it pretty much boils down to personal preference. Most guys usually start with 5/8 or 6/8 half or full hollow. As your technique improves you might find you like wider razors and different grinds. Smaller razors are easier to maneuver especially under the nose but some guys like the ‘heft’ of a big 9/8 or 10/8 razor. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info, thank you very much. I have been bitten by the bug for sure! I like to do lots of research before I jump in. Maybe it’s because I’m a master electrician and I’m used to reading codes all the time. I’m very thorough to say the least. I’m TRYING to put it off until the fall rush is done and it’s dark at 5 in the afternoon. Great winter project. To say the least it’s on like donkey Kong. Yep, another rabbit hole. But I’m good with it. Been itching to try a straight for years.

You won’t regret it just know that it takes time and patience to get proficient. Most of us find straight razor shaving to be incredibly meditative. Ask any of the regulars on here and they will all say they look forward to shaving. Just give it a fair chance. My biggest piece of advice to anyone just starting out is to start from day one using both hands to shave, shave the left side of your face with your left hand and the right side of your face with your right hand. Since you’re learning pretty much a brand new skill both hands will learn at the same time and you will thank yourself later

I’m in. I know it will,take some time. I have been getting great shaves with my micromatic open comb. I use it every morning and enjoy it. I will be up for the challenge. Looking forward to it.

I am THINKING about getting into straight razors. It will be a good journey when I have the time after the fall rush of work and such. I figure it will be a good winter project. My question is on razor width. Does the wider razor mean more efficient razor? I notice that some are close to an inch. Just curious why. Just doing lots of homework at the moment. That you for any input. Vermonster
Just to add a bit on the other’s comments. There is no difference in the shave you’ll get from a shave ready 5/8 blade compared to a shave ready 8/8 blade except for the frequency of having to remove lather from the blade and of course the macho cool factor!

Welcome, great decision! 😊

From my personal experience, I'd say it's important to have a "reference razor" to be able to understand what sharp and comfortable should feel like. Now, this is easier said than done, as once you dull the reference razor, well... you don't have that reference point any more until you have it re-honed by a honemeister. So, it's a hassle and not every self-proclaimed "honemeister" is really a honemeister.

So, to overcome that challenge I both the Feather Artist Club with Feather Pro Super blades, as my "reference razor".

Just smth. to think about, as it might not look obvious, but IMHO is really important.

As for your question, I believe it's a matter of personal preference. I like heavier, heftier stuff, so I opted for 6/8 near wedge. I really like it, but then I think I would've liked a 7/8 or 8/8 even better, hence I'll be getting a 15/16 Fili inspired model shortly, that one with full hollow grind.

5/8 or 6/8

start by using both left and right hands.

hide all your other razors and act like its the only razor you own.

decent strop. barring any problems will get you by for a while. add 12k or known natural finisher if you decide this is for you. use finisher for touch ups or bringing edge back to par.

biggest skill sets to learn are:

shaving......and finding out its not a scary monster

&

maintaining blade edge for sharpness

camo

• Size wise sanookd is right. Lather on the face of the blade is quite different and Noticeable
frequency of having to remove lather from the blade
  • weight and balance are different

• For certain models the actual spine and tang is bigger and may be more comfortable than the smaller thinner tangs

Just have to find the compromise of all the things eventually, aesthetics & physical properties.

Personally, I like the 5/8 or 6/8. I have a couple of 4/8s and they are nimble but in my opinion require more attention to maintain the right angle. I believe this is entirely down to the narrow width of both the blade and spine.

Regarding efficiency, after a fair few straight shaves, I can the same result with either a 4/8, a 17/16 or anything in between. That said, my go to razors tend to be 5 or 6/8ths.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The consensus here on B&B appears to be to start with a half hollow 5/8 to 6/8 Dutch (round) point. I didn't when I started but very quickly gravitated to it.

5/8 or 6/8

start by using both left and right hands.

hide all your other razors and act like its the only razor you own.

decent strop. barring any problems will get you by for a while. add 12k or known natural finisher if you decide this is for you. use finisher for touch ups or bringing edge back to par.

biggest skill sets to learn are:

shaving......and finding out its not a scary monster

&

maintaining blade edge for sharpness

camo

The only thing I disagree with camo on here is hiding your other razors. Everyone learns differently but when I was starting I found it helpful to do the FIRST pass with a DE that way you can get used to how an open, unguarded blade feels on your skin without taking down heavy stubble. Some guys use a DE as a cleanup as they are learning. Every approach works in the end and YMMV. If I had gone full on SR from day one I would’ve looked like a patchwork quilt the first few weeks but that’s just me.

The only thing I disagree with camo on here is hiding your other razors. Everyone learns differently but when I was starting I found it helpful to do the FIRST pass with a DE that way you can get used to how an open, unguarded blade feels on your skin without taking down heavy stubble. Some guys use a DE as a cleanup as they are learning. Every approach works in the end and YMMV. If I had gone full on SR from day one I would’ve looked like a patchwork quilt the first few weeks but that’s just me.

understand that line of thinking.

I shave every day so im really just beating down micro stubble. when I first started I didn't want to be tempted to bail on it if I didn't get the shaves i was used to with a GEM razor. in a sense, for myself..........I pushed the whole process expeditiously.

camo

understand that line of thinking.

I shave every day so im really just beating down micro stubble. when I first started I didn't want to be tempted to bail on it if I didn't get the shaves i was used to with a GEM razor. in a sense, for myself..........I pushed the whole process expeditiously.

camo
@camoloc, I'm curious - since you shave daily, do you go for a BBS every time?

Also, do you perform the standard 3-4 pass WTG, XTG, ATG always?

Asking this, as I somehow feel, for daily shaves I'd just go ATG...

@camoloc, I'm curious - since you shave daily, do you go for a BBS every time?

Also, do you perform the standard 3-4 pass WTG, XTG, ATG always?

Asking this, as I somehow feel, for daily shaves I'd just go ATG...

you're close.

I aim for DFS but usually end up with BBS in all but two small areas on my neck. 1 ATG pass all the way up to the cheeks/bottom of ears (usually South to North for the most part.) 1/2 pass that is mainly XTG........but ATG for under Jawline & top part of neck where it meets jawline. 1/4 or less of XTG to clean up chin areas to goatee.

how much coffee I've had determines how close a shave I get.......lol

camo

you're close.

I aim for DFS but usually end up with BBS in all but two small areas on my neck. 1 ATG pass all the way up to the cheeks/bottom of ears (usually South to North for the most part.) 1/2 pass that is mainly XTG........but ATG for under Jawline & top part of neck where it meets jawline. 1/4 or less of XTG to clean up chin areas to goatee.

how much coffee I've had determines how close a shave I get.......lol

camo
Thanks for that... there was another thread where we discussed this a few weeks ago (the single ATG pass) and a lot of ppl tried to convince me that one should always do a full WTG/XTG/ATG, even if you shave daily... and I just couldn't understand why. In my case, if I am to shave within 24h (which I seldom do) the WTG/XTG does virtually nothing, so I just go ATG. Maybe I have a slow beard growth or maybe my BBS are so darn good 😂 IDK...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for that... there was another thread where we discussed this a few weeks ago (the single ATG pass) and a lot of ppl tried to convince me that one should always do a full WTG/XTG/ATG, even if you shave daily... and I just couldn't understand why. In my case, if I am to shave within 24h (which I seldom do) the WTG/XTG does virtually nothing, so I just go ATG. Maybe I have a slow beard growth or maybe my BBS are so darn good 😂 IDK...
I'm a two pass man, WTG + basically XTG, daily. This gives me a DFS+ result. If I go for BBS all over, I have nothing to shave 24 hours later. I don't want that as I enjoy my SR shaving too much.

My aim is to get in as many passes as I can each week. My two passes per day gets me 14 passes per week. If I go 3 passes, I get BBS each shave and only get about 11 passes per week.

Last edited:
I'm a two pass man, WTG + basically XTG, daily. This gives me a DFS+ result. If I go for BBS all over, I have nothing to shave 24 hours later. I don't want that as I enjoy my SR shaving too much.

My aim is to get in as many passes as I can each week. My two passes per day gets me 14 passes per week. If I go 3 passes, I get BBS each shave and only get about 11 passes per week.

but what happens when you shave with Vesperum before opera curtain time........then the morning comes?????

surely can't have much to give up then???

jk

camo

Which exactly supports my claim/experience - if I go BBS (and I always do since I shave 2-3 times a week), I don't feel any stubble for a good 10 or so hours, so by the time 24h has passed, I only have "micro-stubble" that I can remove only if I go ATG.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
but what happens when you shave with Vesperum before opera curtain time........then the morning comes?????

surely can't have much to give up then???

jk

camo
(Un)fortunately I have not had that problem. No opera or ballet during the pandemic. I can't even travel overseas for it. If I need an evening shave to please one of my girlfriends, I just do a WTG pass. That still leaves me with just enough the next day for a one-pass shave in the morning.

Top Bottom