What's new

Newbie just joined B&B

Took the plunge and joined b&b tonight after months of lurking :001_smile. I switched to de wet shaving 6 months ago after a particular brutal few weeks using a modern cartridge razor. Thank god I discovered de shaving. It's been so much fun.

I started off with a Merkur barber pole HD, proraso cream and some merkur blades. That worked for a month or so and it was so much better that the modern cartridge shaves. Then I read Michael Ham's book and that really opened my eyes.

After a month, I naively bought a merkur slant and some feathers to experiment and had a bad dose of razor burn - arggh! Luckily, I found some Derby Extras that worked wonderfully and for the past several months, I've been having great shaves with the slant and derby blades.

My standard prep is:
1. shower and use conditioner on my beard
2. Musgo glycerine soap
3. Valobra cream
3. Between every pass, I rub a spot of vegetable gylcerine oil on my beard
4. Use some shaving oil for the polish pass
5. rub my face with alum and then rinse
6. Thayers witch hazel
7. Coral skin food

Works great. In the past few weeks, I've splashed out and bought some vintage razors (aristocrat, new standard and new improved) to experiment with. My first try with the aristocrat and a derby blade wasn't good and was disappointing - lots of razor burn. Maybe the required angle for the aristocrat is different from the merkur slant? Anyway, I'll give it a try again tonight...

Great start! Welcome to B&B! sounds like you got a good base to work from. Yeah that slant/feather is not for the faint of heart....lol

GL2U!!

Welcome to B&B! Have you only tried the Derbys and Feathers, or are you working through a sampler pack? If you haven't tried a sampler yet, think about picking one up.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

+1 on the sample pack!

Hi boru, and welcome to B&B!

You made a good choice starting with the Merkur Barber Pole. It has just the right weight and balance to let the razor do the work when just starting out. It's a great all around razor even for a more experienced wetshaver.

The Slant is another razor altogether. For me, it works best after 3 days growth. Feather blades in any razor have given me problems... they're just too dang sharp! However, many members here really like Feathers. Like you, I found Derby Extras a better choice. Sample packs are a good idea to find the right blade for any razor. West Coast Shaving has good deals and a great variety of blades for this purpose.

On a further note, I too find the Gillette Aristocrat, while being a beautiful vintage tool, just plain gives me a terrible shave no matter the blade. On the other hand, the Diplomat or President shaves great! My favorite everyday shaver, hands-down is the 40's style Super Speed. I save my Diplomat and President for special occasions!

Hi boru, and welcome to B&B!

You made a good choice starting with the Merkur Barber Pole. It has just the right weight and balance to let the razor do the work when just starting out. It's a great all around razor even for a more experienced wetshaver.

The Slant is another razor altogether. For me, it works best after 3 days growth. Feather blades in any razor have given me problems... they're just too dang sharp! However, many members here really like Feathers. Like you, I found Derby Extras a better choice. Sample packs are a good idea to find the right blade for any razor. West Coast Shaving has good deals and a great variety of blades for this purpose.

On a further note, I too find the Gillette Aristocrat, while being a beautiful vintage tool, just plain gives me a terrible shave no matter the blade. On the other hand, the Diplomat or President shaves great! My favorite everyday shaver, hands-down is the 40's style Super Speed. I save my Diplomat and President for special occasions!
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

Tim,
That's reassuring to hear about your experiences with the slant and aristocrat. I find the slant great after 3 days stubble but too aggressive for everyday use. In addition to getting a blade sampler, I'll see if I can pick up a Super Speed and Tech to try out. My beard is heavy so I guess I should be looking for a red tip SS.

Peter

Top Bottom