What's new

Newbie jumping straight to Mühle Rocca -- that a mistake?

The Tatara razor i a good option if you can get it at a good price.
20210530_094937.jpg

IMHO- over the years I've tried all of these- and have not really varied much on my recommendations to someone starting out. Unfortunately, inflation has hit the vintage DE razor world hard over the past two decades. It used to be a mint Gillette Tech was $10, and in user condition was ~$5. I checked the BST and recently a pair of user Techs was $25; maybe someone here will part with one for $15.

1. Gillette Tech (used); low-cost, effective, and a great way to learn;
2. Feather Popular; low-cost, effective, and also a fine way to learn;
3. Get a Lod L5 or L6; low-cost, effective enough and a decent way to start;

It's all about building the skills, not really the tools. A good carpenter can use a poor but sharp tool, and only a good carpenter appreciates a truly fine tool.

Spend a few dollars on blade sampler pack; pick up a decent boar brush; and a good soap La Toja stick, Tabac stick, Arko, etc.-one of the easy to lather sticks, or a tube of cream. For not much, you're into DE shaving. I haven't used one of the King Gillette razors, but I read they were similar to another starter razor.

Good luck with your shave journey!

34c was my first too. Great durable time tested razor. King C Gillette is a bargain right now on Amazon. An even greater bargain on Amazon is the Snmirn, which I used for the first time last night. Very smooth shave at $10.

If you can spend some extra money, the Rockwell is a great way to to: 3 plates with 6 aggression levels all in one box at the same price. Butter smooth shaving with each plate.

Buy it and try......nothing wrong. There are so many other options, some are very cheap heads that are identical copies of the more expensive Muhle/Merkur heads....you can always get one for $5 if the Rocca is too much to handle.....

Some good advice above!

I suggest a 34C or one of the EJ89 series. Focus on developing your technique and try a bunch of blades.

Then you can start trying other razors. In the end, you will likely save time and effort! Just my $0.02!

My first was a 60s black handled super speed. I cut the crap outta myself. Pitiful. But I stuck with it and got it down. Hopefully your mileage varies.

when I started DE shaving, after a half of a lifetime of cartridge blades use,
my first purchase was a Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

A slant, open-comb would probably never be anyone's recommendation for a "first razor".
But, for me, I think it really forced me to learn good technique a LOT quicker, than if I bought a milder razor.

In retrospect, I think one of the suggestions above (Merkur Progress) maybe would have been the "best" choice.
I own that razor now, and the adjustability could really help a "newbie" learn technique, I think, and also hone your preferences.

In retrospect, I think one of the suggestions above (Merkur Progress) maybe would have been the "best" choice.
I own that razor now, and the adjustability could really help a "newbie" learn technique, I think, and also hone your preferences.
Yes! I love the Progress, and it would be a great choice.

Rocca might very well be the best razor for me in my line up. Gives the most bloodless shaves and close ones, a razor I can autopilot when using. I personally feel it's worth it to get the hang of using. I rarely use mine these days because it's just too good...makes it almost "boring" 😁

I suggest a Merkur 23C three-piece razor: head is similar to the 34C HD, it costs $12 less at $28, and I have found it to be efficient, yet forgiving of errors. I started DE shaving with a 23C, and I knew from my first shave that I had made a great decision.

Rocwell 6s , really smooth and pick your plate to suit you needs
+1 Rockwell 6S to dial in your preference plate and get your shaving angle, no pressure and see what blades work best for your skin. That’s my 2 cents. Had the Rocca latest version and sold it off as it was a bit rough in the ATG pass. Rocca is definitely more for experienced shavers. A good beginner razor would be the Gamechanger.84, besides the Rockwell 6S.

GOod Luck and welcome to wet shaving :)

ps-you can master the Rocca just takes time. If you enjoy the shaves keep it. Sometimes, the adjustments come natural.

IMHO- over the years I've tried all of these- and have not really varied much on my recommendations to someone starting out. Unfortunately, inflation has hit the vintage DE razor world hard over the past two decades. It used to be a mint Gillette Tech was $10, and in user condition was ~$5. I checked the BST and recently a pair of user Techs was $25; maybe someone here will part with one for $15.

1. Gillette Tech (used); low-cost, effective, and a great way to learn;
2. Feather Popular; low-cost, effective, and also a fine way to learn;
3. Get a Lod L5 or L6; low-cost, effective enough and a decent way to start;

It's all about building the skills, not really the tools. A good carpenter can use a poor but sharp tool, and only a good carpenter appreciates a truly fine tool.

Spend a few dollars on blade sampler pack; pick up a decent boar brush; and a good soap La Toja stick, Tabac stick, Arko, etc.-one of the easy to lather sticks, or a tube of cream. For not much, you're into DE shaving. I haven't used one of the King Gillette razors, but I read they were similar to another starter razor.

Good luck with your shave journey!
I've been thinking Richard is really giving you great advice here. The Lord L6 is a nice shaving razor, but very cheap -- under $10 usually. If you started with a razor like that, you could keep it as a travel razor when you buy a more expensive razor later on. I'm not sure why you decided on the Rocca so soon; it's a good razor but there are a lot of good razors. You don't have to spend all that much getting started.

I started with a 34C and within a very short time period realized it was too mild for me. It's a great razor; you may be replacing it fairly quickly. Did that help? :)

Good man! Get the Rocca.
No use sodding about with a girly razor.
You learn the correct technique on said girly razor, and then what?
You have to start again with a more 'assertive' razor (aggressive is entirely the wrong word).
Get good soaps, make a great lather, use a good blade (Preferably a PPI product...Rubie, Perma-Sharp, Minora stainless, Gillette 'Black' are all nice smooth blades).
Don't get a Rocca and start out using Bolzano, Derby, etc. Absolute crappy blades.
There, sorted!
(Grabs popcorn, and waits....).
Edit: Think about this...in Grand-dad's day or in my case my Father's day, a man only had a choice of not shaving or using a straight razor.
As a beginner would you really like to dive straight in (no pun intended) and use a cut throat razor?
Yet that is exactly what you would have to do a few years ago.
So...the Rocca is an ideal choice given what you could have been needing to do.
Or, as has been mentioned...a nice adjustable (a modern Pearl Flexi, or vintage Slim, Fat Boy, Black Beauty, etc).

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions -- certainly all great and conflicting advice (and of course you're all right!) to keep me in a... a... lather.

On a somewhat related note, is there an obvious blade variety pack I should get? (For me, easiest if on Amazon.)

Top Bottom