What's new

Newbie In search of a good blade

Seriously, why dont you just use one of those blades?
I thought the same. But having heard that it's probably technique, I want to try at least a few weeks to get better in technique. I think if I continu using those blades I'll get used to using a wrong technique. I rather start off with proper technique.
I tried less pressure today and the shave was a lot better with the same blade (kai). I'm making progress ;)

Razor burn is caused when you take of too many layers of skin during the shave. That has not much to do with a blade or a razor. With a DE this occurs when you press down too much, and / or it you're scraping and not cutting at the right angle. One reason can be that the blade is not sharp enough so you press down to counter blance that, or you press down too hard because you are still learning. With your blade choice I would bet it's you and not the blade. Maybe use a different razor first. A cheap Gillette Tech would be my choice. If you live near Germany you could buy the Isana Safety Razor at Rossmann (it's a renamed Baili BD191 in a kind of gunmetal finish). Stay with that equipment ansd one blade that works quite well and practice technique. No blade will let you skip that stage. There are razors that make learning easier than others (Gillette Tech, Baili CC update, Mühle R89 / EJ DE 89, G&F Timor CC) Good luck.

Thanks for the tip!
I was thinking in maybe get a razor from razorbladesclub.com when I order some more blades. Maybe a lord l6 or something.
For now I will be focusing on proper technique.

Had another shave today with the same setup that gave me burn.
I tried a different grip with 3 fingers further down the handle. And I had a very comfortable burn free shave! :thumbup:

Hi All,

This is my first post here. After electric saving for about 25 years I switched to a DE razor. A store here (the Netherlands) recommended the Razorock GC oc 68 for my beard growth.
I bought a few samplers from razorbladesclub.com and started testing. I've been testing some blades now for about a month.

My problem is that almost all blades give me razor burn. Especially when they are platinum blades. I've tried
Personna Platinum
Astra SP (couldn't even finish the shave)
Kai
Qshave (bought the futur clone too)
These ware all giving me quit a burn.

I'm using Highland soap, a pre shave balm from Proraso sensitive and there after shave balm. I'm doing a 2 pass shave and no against the grain shave. Did it once.... But man was I irritated at the end.

The only ones that are working are voskhod and gillette 7 SS

Is there a logic to this? Wich blades can you recommend to try next? I'm getting tired of walking around with a red throat :)
It looks like platinum coated blades does not suit you like me. Platinum coated blades always makes my face itchy. Keep practice with gillette silver blue.

SM-N970F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Als die qshave futul je eerste adjustable de is welkom bij de club!
Maar het is een tricky beest om het mee te leren.
bij mij had ie de bijnaam Sunday Bloody Sunday.

bij mij bleek een gilette silver blue hem een stuk vriendelijker te maken in de omgang. De rest was happen naar de baas.

draai hem in het begin gewoon naar 0
Let er goed op dat blad niet schuin of los zit
Geen druk ding is zwaar genoeg
Ook een gsb scheert eerste dag wat minder lekker

paa maakt de cube pre shave soap is lekker en in Nederland te krijgen. Stirling ook best. Glijd net ff lekkerder.
douchen of een hete handdoek van te voren is ook fijn.
Experimenteer ook met dikte van je zeep, dun is glibberiger.

en kan dat je op platina reageert maar is bij beginnend eerder techniek en druk. Dus gaat het goed dan toch een keer weer platina proberen

Als die qshave futul je eerste adjustable de is welkom bij de club!
Maar het is een tricky beest om het mee te leren.
bij mij had ie de bijnaam Sunday Bloody Sunday.

bij mij bleek een gilette silver blue hem een stuk vriendelijker te maken in de omgang. De rest was happen naar de baas.

draai hem in het begin gewoon naar 0
Let er goed op dat blad niet schuin of los zit
Geen druk ding is zwaar genoeg
Ook een gsb scheert eerste dag wat minder lekker

paa maakt de cube pre shave soap is lekker en in Nederland te krijgen. Stirling ook best. Glijd net ff lekkerder.
douchen of een hete handdoek van te voren is ook fijn.
Experimenteer ook met dikte van je zeep, dun is glibberiger.

en kan dat je op platina reageert maar is bij beginnend eerder techniek en druk. Dus gaat het goed dan toch een keer weer platina proberen
Bedankt voor de tips!
Dit is inderdaad m'n eerste de. Ik heb nu ook een game changer van razorock gekocht. Die scheert een stuk makkelijker. Maar weegt ook behoorlijk wat. Nu scheren zonder druk gaat al stuk beter.
Bedankt voor de tips qua zeep! Ik heb nu vergulde hand en zeep van highlands. Het opschuimen van zeep is al hele techniek. Ook dat gaat langzaam beter.
De gsb staat op m'n lijstje om een keer te kopen om te proberen.

Bedankt voor de tips!
Dit is inderdaad m'n eerste de. Ik heb nu ook een game changer van razorock gekocht. Die scheert een stuk makkelijker. Maar weegt ook behoorlijk wat. Nu scheren zonder druk gaat al stuk beter.
Bedankt voor de tips qua zeep! Ik heb nu vergulde hand en zeep van highlands. Het opschuimen van zeep is al hele techniek. Ook dat gaat langzaam beter.
De gsb staat op m'n lijstje om een keer te kopen om te proberen.
Ook kwa zeep heb je nog best wat te proberen.
Vergulde hand extra fris vind ik niet verkeerd. Maar arko of tabac doen het voor dat geld nog beter. En krijg je echt scheerzeep tic dan eens scheermonnik proberen.

de snmirn (opvolger van de qshave futul) scheert al een stuk vergevingsgezinder. Ook geen zeur kwa mesjes.
Als er weer een gillette king c Gillette half price is bij Etos of Kruidvat zeker het de mes scoren.
Op marktplaats staan met regelmaat vintage Gillettes.

Oa barbieri Di figaro heeft mes sample packs.

opschuimen in een losse kom
-syntheet is makkelijker
-bakje met rillen of nopjes is sneller
-ik gebruik een granieten mortier
-grofweg pinknagel zeep vastdrukken
-alternatief laden in pot en opschuimen in losse kom.
-desnoods mineraal water gebruiken als water heeeeel hard is.

opschuimen op gezicht
Laden in de pot en op gezicht zetten of met stick over nat gezicht gaan
Kwast tips af en toe nat maken.

opschuimen van crème gaat meestal makkelijker dan van croap of harde zeep.

irritatie in gezicht kan ook van opschuimen op gezicht komen door hard drukken of harde borstel

Last edited:
Skin takes longer to grow back than whiskers. When in doubt, skip the extra pass, don't take the stroke, lighten up the pressure.

Mild blades that have tamed aggressive razors for me are:
Dorco ST-300 (the mildest blade I have tried, feels like it's got a very thick coating of Teflon or similar)(Start with this)(Also, they're very inexpensive!)
Dorco ST-301 (also extremely mild)

Dorco Prime Platinum
Dorco Titan
Timor (very expensive, unfortunately)
Tatra
Shark Super Stainless
Treet Carbon Steel ("Black Beauties")
Derby Extra

I found that, after some months of wet-shaving practice, I also got irritation-free shaves from using sharper blades - in mild razors - and fewer passes. Blades that work well for me in that scenario are Feather and Personna Med Prep.

A moderately-sharp blade that works well for me is the Gillette Silver Blue, but unfortunately, like the Feathers, it has nasty and unnecessary glue/wax bumps that foul your pretty razors unless you invest a lot of work in removing them.

Thanks for the tips on blades!
I have the dorco st301, treet carbon, sharks and Derby extra from a sampler pack. I'll give them a try too.
Good to know that they are mild blades.

I also have feathers but no GSB unfortunately.

It all depends on your whiskers too. If you have tough whiskers, getting a mild blade will require more passes and will irritate you more. So if you're feeling the beard resisting the blade or you have the need to press on the razor to cut hair more, then the blade you're using is too dull for you. In that case, I would really recommend either the German Wilkinson Sword, BIC Platinum and several LORD made blades: Silver Star, orange ASCO and Lord Platinum.

If your beard is on the softer side, then Shark SS/Lord Cool and Astra SS (the blue Astra). But based on your description, I'd say you'd benefit from a sharp blade. Get a King C. Gilette razor, it's cheap and available everywhere, and try putting one of the sharper blades I mentioned.

For what it's worth, I simply don't agree with Russian blades such as Vostok, Rapiras and Astras, my skin just doesn't like them, they're rough and not sharp enough. Ladas literally ate my face.

I have pretty tough whiskers. And I noticed some tugging on some blades. The search continues :001_smile
Last shaves with kai blades were pretty good. But they are pricey. So I'm hoping to find some more good blades. I have some personna blades too. They were my first and I got razor burn. But now I think I'll revisit them in a few weeks time to see if with better technique they may work. Would be a wast to trash 9 good blades..

I also have some Wilkinson sword blades you mentioned. I'll add them to the list too haha. Too many choices :biggrin1:

I also have some Wilkinson sword blades you mentioned. I'll add them to the list too haha. Too many choices :biggrin1:
Yeah, it's easy to get lost in so many choices, honestly it took me 3 months to see what suits me. The Wilkinson's first shave is milder, but from 2nd shave and beyond they're on of the sharpest blades out there and very durable. I would definitely recommend them as a starter sharp blade. And then trying BIC and Silver Star/ASCO. Honestly, don't waste time trying Astra SP, Voskhod/Rapira or Shark and various Lord super stainless blades, they will only tug at your whiskers.

As for the technique, imo the 2 most important things are: mapping out the directions in which your whiskers grow on every part of your face and when shaving don't bend your wrist, do straight short strokes by moving your arm up and down, no wrist movement, no scooping with the razor.

Yeah, it's easy to get lost in so many choices, honestly it took me 3 months to see what suits me. The Wilkinson's first shave is milder, but from 2nd shave and beyond they're on of the sharpest blades out there and very durable. I would definitely recommend them as a starter sharp blade. And then trying BIC and Silver Star/ASCO. Honestly, don't waste time trying Astra SP, Voskhod/Rapira or Shark and various Lord super stainless blades, they will only tug at your whiskers.

As for the technique, imo the 2 most important things are: mapping out the directions in which your whiskers grow on every part of your face and when shaving don't bend your wrist, do straight short strokes by moving your arm up and down, no wrist movement, no scooping with the razor.

i did draw a map and found that on my throat the hair direction is horizontally. From center outwards. And that’s the spot I got some irritation. It’s difficult to have a loose grip if I have the razor horizontally. But I find it easier if I grip the razor further down and with just 3 fingers. Then it’s firm enough to hold it sideways but without pressure (that’s what I’m trying any way ;) )

Top Bottom