What's new

Newbie here with an excellent first impression of "The Fat"!

Hello! I'm a 37-year-old father-to-be who has been happily shaving with an open-combed Merkur 15C for almost a year now but has only just invested in a brush (Simpson's "Special" pure badger) and soap ("The Fat"). I'm from Yorkshire and have fairly sensitive skin, so the latter was a no-brainer. I also have a beard, so only shave my neck, and had been using a certain well-known aerosol brand — which shall remain nameless — so, WOW, what a difference! I could tell immediately that I was getting a far smoother shave but I wasn't expecting my skin to actually feel better after shaving than before! I guess that's the lanolin for you. I also noticed I had no nicks, no weepers, and an incredibly close shave. There's no way I'm going back now!

A couple of observations, for the sake of science, based on previous threads. I live in a hard-water area (Hampshire, England) and didn't have any big issues lathering. The photo below shows what was left after three passes. It wasn't exactly a huge amount of lather, either, but I'm putting that down to a lack of experience, as it was my first attempt. The water here mostly comes from chalk aquifers so is high in calcium carbonate but not, as far as I know, magnesium sulphate — which I know a few people have identified as a potential sud-killer. Another observation is that, although I did experience the stickiness some people have complained about from Mitchell's, this was on my fingers when initially testing how the puck responded to water. I didn't get it at all post-shave, though — just a wonderfully hydrated, smooth, and very soothed neck! Honestly, I was in two minds about whether I even needed to bother applying any aftershave balm (though I did anyway).

Looking forward to learning more and getting know this place better!

IMG_9098.JPG

In the corner is a repurposed stilton jar where the razor lives!

IMG_9091.JPG

First off, welcome to B & B! Second, congratulations on discovering the joy a brush & soap can give, as well as the wonderful post shave feel a quality soap provides. B & B is a great place to read & learn. Hopefully, you'll participate in some discussions as well

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I could shave with MWF every day (I don’t) but I could because I just think it’s that good for what I’m looking for in a soap. Problem is, there are other really good soaps that I also like to use. Not a problem really. Glad you found something you like. Welcome!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello! I'm a 37-year-old father-to-be who has been happily shaving with an open-combed Merkur 15C for almost a year now but has only just invested in a brush (Simpson's "Special" pure badger) and soap ("The Fat"). I'm from Yorkshire and have fairly sensitive skin, so the latter was a no-brainer. I also have a beard, so only shave my neck, and had been using a certain well-known aerosol brand — which shall remain nameless — so, WOW, what a difference! I could tell immediately that I was getting a far smoother shave but I wasn't expecting my skin to actually feel better after shaving than before! I guess that's the lanolin for you. I also noticed I had no nicks, no weepers, and an incredibly close shave. There's no way I'm going back now!

A couple of observations, for the sake of science, based on previous threads. I live in a hard-water area (Hampshire, England) and didn't have any big issues lathering. The photo below shows what was left after three passes. It wasn't exactly a huge amount of lather, either, but I'm putting that down to a lack of experience, as it was my first attempt. The water here mostly comes from chalk aquifers so is high in calcium carbonate but not, as far as I know, magnesium sulphate — which I know a few people have identified as a potential sud-killer. Another observation is that, although I did experience the stickiness some people have complained about from Mitchell's, this was on my fingers when initially testing how the puck responded to water. I didn't get it at all post-shave, though — just a wonderfully hydrated, smooth, and very soothed neck! Honestly, I was in two minds about whether I even needed to bother applying any aftershave balm (though I did anyway).

Looking forward to learning more and getting know this place better!

View attachment 1460137
In the corner is a repurposed stilton jar where the razor lives!

View attachment 1460127

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

You are one of the first newcomers I have seen, who already had a SOTD photo at the ready to be posted, I am mighty impressed by that! Please keep it up, cause I like it! You know what else I like? I like your brush and bowl! Glad to hear that razor is working out for you too.

There's no way I'm going back now!

I really know what that feels like, I had the same thought after I experienced wet shaving. You just can't believe the amazing shave that you get, but you do get an amazing shave for sure.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to B&B. Traditional wet shaving can turn a chore into a most pleasurable experience. Just make sure that you stay away from straight razors. They have been the downfall of many a good man. Some here will tell you fantasy stories to try and rope you in. Just don't do it.

And yet, you are our resident straight razor advocate. So I have to ask, what happened? Did you put yourself in the hospital requiring stitches?

Welcome to B&B. Traditional wet shaving can turn a chore into a most pleasurable experience. Just make sure that you stay away from straight razors. They have been the downfall of many a good man. Some here will tell you fantasy stories to try and rope you in. Just don't do it.
No need to worry about that, but thanks for the heads up!

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

You are one of the first newcomers I have seen, who already had a SOTD photo at the ready to be posted, I am mighty impressed by that! Please keep it up, cause I like it! You know what else I like? I like your brush and bowl! Glad to hear that razor is working out for you too.

I really know what that feels like, I had the same thought after I experienced wet shaving. You just can't believe the amazing shave that you get, but you do get an amazing shave for sure.
Thanks, I’ll keep you all updated with my lathering progress. 🙂 The (Spode) bowl was a wedding present, if I remember correctly.

Welcome to B&B.
Mitchell's Wool Fat is a great soap but you just have to load a bit more with hard water. I like the razor too which is much under rated.

Top Bottom