What's new

Newbie here, needing some veteran assistance!

Sorry for this wall of text, but I want to include as many relevant details as I can to help you guys out. There's a TL;DR at the bottom.

So I got a Van Der Hagen safety razor to start out with. I'm new to this scene and didn't want to immediately invest my life savings into it haha. It comes with Timor Solingen Ice-Tempered blades. Supposed to be stainless, but the first one I put in got brownish rust looking marks all over it after shaving in the shower. Granted, I really didn't open it up and dry it off, but still, kinda surprised.

The first shave, I used:

So, the first shave ever. I took a nice shower, washed my face off with Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Face Wash, then washed my hair, then after showering the rest of my body I kept the water on and stayed in the shower to shave. I didn't want to step out into a colder area and risk the cool air drying and tightening up my skin. I got what I felt was a good lather, and went to work. How did it go?
It was extremely hard to get any hairs off going with or across the grain. I was still getting the angling and techniques down, but my angle was generally steep. The shave wasn't as painful as I was expecting., maybe due to the angle. I actually ended up going over the same spots many times, often without any lather, and sometimes putting pressure down. In the end, there was irritation as I expected, and a couple nicks here and there that actually closed up by the time I was done and got out of the shower. I guess running my face under the water helped clean up the nicks.

So that first shave was much more effort than I thought it would be. Not that enjoyable to be honest and it took a hundred passes in every direction to get a BBS feeling. But that post shave balm ooooooh man that stuff is like nectar for the face.

The second shave, I used:

This time, I tried a different face wash, Cremo, which found it in a Harmon store among the shaving section. I also stayed in the shower again. I lathered up the soap using the wet brush technique I saw in this video. I paid a lot more attention to my angle, putting the cap flat on my face and tilting until I could feel the blade doing its thing. So I think I used a shallow angle. I also read more about doing multiple passes, and going with the grain on the first pass, re-lathering, then going across the grain, and so on. This time I could feel the hairs getting sized down more when going with the grain, but my face still felt scratchy even with a relatively light touch. My neck area got nicked and scratched even going with the grain. Then I tried going across the grain on the second pass. Going across the grain, my neck got sliced and diced from left to right. Saying it was unpleasant is an understatement.
Trying to dry up the nicks and cuts and then apply after shave balm didn't do a thing. The nicks bled right through. Had to use my roll-on nick stick, and man did my face sting.

So, I tried to evaluate every step of my process, and concluded that my troubles certainly lie in my technique and the blade I'm using. So, my blade sample just came in today, came with the following blades:
  • Treet Platinum, Super Stainless
  • Trig Silver Edge Stainless Steel
  • Super Max Super Stainless
  • Gillette Nacet
  • Super Max Platinum
  • Gillette Goal Stainless
  • Feather
  • Nacet Platinum
  • Blue Bird
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp
  • Derby
  • Bic
  • Astra Superior Platinum
  • Astra Superior Stainless

So, I guess my face is kinda sensitive, and I've been having infinite trouble getting a smooth, consistent shave all around. Which blades would you guys recommend I try first?

TL;DR:

My first two shaving experiences have been very unpleasant, and following the tips to go with and across the grain have left me a still scratchy face, and still getting nicks and cuts. I am trying new blades from a sampler pack, which are listed just above.

I don't intent on quitting and going back to cartridge shaving. After all the great things I hear about DE wet shaving, I am determined to learn and eventually master this stuff, but right now, my lack of experience and knowledge are costing me countless skin cells, so some feedback on my story or product choice, pointers about which blades to try first, and anything you feel will help me on my quest to figure this all out, would be immeasurably appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Yours truly,
The new guy

PS: The prices of some of the stuff I used might shock you, but I got it all for much cheaper than the links show at a local Harmon, so don't freak out! (except the brush, which came right from the Amazon page I linked, still on sale)

You're going to get tons of great advice, but let me just make mention of what worked for me when I started serious DE shaving and who encountered similar troubles such as yourself.

(1) I found I needed to use a mild razor to build my confidence at first. For me this was the Feather Popular (with Feather blades). The mild razor meant I wouldn't be punished as harshly for errors in technique as opposed to a more aggressive razor. This is also my go-to razor during long shaving stretches (10 day work stretches without a day off in between)

(2) I only used WTG and ATG building my technique. XTG is (what I consider anyway) an advanced shaving technique and only after I was thoroughly familiar with the razor/blade combo would I even attempt it.

(3) Don't chase perfection at first. I found my first goal was not "BBS". It was to complete the shave in its entirety without a single scratch. Perfect shaves can come later (and they will, with practice)

(4) A light touch. Landing the blade on your skin has to be extremely light as you build technique. Always allow the razor to work for you, which means no pressure. Allow more time to shave due to the need to slow down during this learning process

And above all, listen to all input because everyone here started somewhere, and I still learn new things almost every day. Good luck!

First off welcome to B&B. Being new myself I will offer this advice, in addition to keeping your angle and pressure correct, don't chase a BBS. I have found that if I slow down and pay close attention to these I end up with a DFS. Secondly, until all of this starts coming together limit your passes, this can cause razor burn and a decent amount of irritation. Hope this helps and good luck with your future shaves.

Keep at it it takes a while to get everything to fall into line. If you need to shave in the shower, get a fog proof mirror, it gives a visual aid for angles. I got the best shave in my life Sunday, I've been at this every day for seven months.

Hello and welcome. Some good tips above. Try the Astra SP blades. I would try shaving after shower. It is possible that your beard is too wet and soft for the razor to get any bite.

I'm not a veteran but I've been reading up on and watching videos on DE shaving off and on for a couple years. I finally got a razor(Gillette Super Adjustable) passed down from an uncle and DE Safety Razor shaved for the first time almost two weeks ago. IIRC, the Van Der Hagen razor is a Weishi re-brand or designed razor. Its considered a very mild forgiving razor. Some reviews I've seen where people felt it was too mild for a DE Safety razor. Look over the razor head and make sure there aren't any obvious manufacturing flaws that could cause any problems. Pay attention to the blade when you load it to make sure its seated properly, not slanted or uneven. When you tighten down the butterfly doors make sure the blade exposure is the same on both sides and the gap between the blade edge and the safety bars is consistent. If I over tighten my TTO(twist to open) razor the blade gap is off on one corner slightly and is noticeable to the eye but easily fixed by backing off a quarter turn.

If you don't have a mirror and bright lighting in the shower I'd shave at the sink. You need to see and hear whats going on. Make sure you are shaving from the elbow and shoulder and not with your wrist. Don't use any pressure beyond the weight of the razor at first. You may want to try a more traditional soap or cream like Cella, proraso/CO Bigelow or Tabac that is known to offer slickness and protection. Stirling soap company's shave soap is great for the price point. I used a sample from Stirling for my first few shaves and couldn't be happier with it.

As far as blades themselves, All through the time reading and studying I've seen the following blades all mentioned the most as being favored by a lot of shavers: Personna lab blues, Personna med preps, Personna Platinums(Reds), Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock(Black, Yellow) and Pol-Silver Super Iridium. Despite Feathers being the sharpest it seems like an even split of people who love and hate using that blade. I started with Personna lab blues and they worked incredibly well for me right out of the gate. The only reason I want to try other blades is in case there might actually be a blade that will work better.

Don't aim for a baby butt smooth shave to start. Go for a close comfortable shave and hope for a damn fine shave.

Read the Badger and Blade Wiki : http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/

Watch videos from Mantic59 : https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Watch Nick Shaves beginner video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5euWQtQNAKmUtZlI2dhvuYP4iEDkAOq4

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome to B&B; Consider trying the Astra SP's first and staying with them for awhile while your technique improves. Changing too often confuses things while you're learning. Enjoy your progress!

I wouldn't worry about your skin getting tight after you shower. You can always put warm water on your face.

Dave

First thing I'd recommend it shaving at a sink with a mirror and your hands dried off rather than in the shower, where you can't see what you're doing and your hands are wet. That strikes me as just asking for nicks and cuts.

Top Bottom