What's new

Newbie here, having trouble with Gillette Tech.

After almost 3 weeks of Tech driving me crazy, I decided to stop shaving with it and go back to Merkur 34c. Incomparable shave and experience, there must be something wrong with my Tech.

I might buy another razor, adjustable this time as I want to try a more aggressive shave with fewer passes.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. It certainly sounds like there's something wrong with the razor if you haven't been able to dial it in in almost 3 weeks. Have you checked it closely for blade alignment? The razor has been around a while, there's a good chance its been dropped at some time.

When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Hall of Fame

I've got a herd of Techs of all varieties and every one can give me an excellent shave. First of all, you don't need a Feather blade in a Tech - any number of blades would be a better choice. i'd recommend a Gillette Silver Blue. it's plenty sharp, but really smooth and long-lived.

I had opined before, and while away , found one of my Techs, H4, used it last night with Peremasharp 2; btw I dropped my first razor ever....this one....without the handle.....looked OK and I have to report that the shave was smooth and close.....good stuff. I think these H4 are Zamak???

Tech's in general don't work very well for me either and I find them way too mild even with sharp blades. It's not that I can't get a nice BBS, but I have to force them and also do a lot more strokes than usual and I never enjoy such shaves.

My advice is to try something else like a NEW LC or even better - a Goodwill #160. I find the NEW LC versions both from US and UK to be amongst my favorite Gillette razors and I just shaved today for the first time with my #160 Goodwill and I find it to be even better.

What I find strange is that Tech's are ''basically'' solid bar versions of the NEW and that the difference shouldn't be that huge, but for me it is and I find the NEW way more efficient and overall better shavers.

Top Bottom