What's new

Newbie here, having trouble with Gillette Tech.

Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with Gillette Tech (feather blade inside). When I shave with the grain or across the grain, I feel like it doesn’t cut anything at all (2 day stubble). The only area where I can properly shave hairs is just below the cheeks at the second pass.

Going against the grain is also really strange because the razor starts to cut like a cheese grater.

I know that Tech has a different cutting angle, but there definitely seems to be something wrong.

Just throwing random thoughts as I haven't used a tech in many a year. What is your shave angle like? Are you riding the cap or the bar? Either could be responsible for the blade not cutting if the angle is either too shallow or steep.

Another possibility is the razor has been dropped causing misalignment with the blade. This could lead to the cheese slicer feeling with one side and not cutting on the other.

I'm sure the tech guys will be along with more knowledgeable suggestions in time.

The Tech does not have a lot of blade exposure. That means that the effective shaving angle is quite narrow. You need to find the effective angle range and stay in it as you move the razor along the various parts of the face. Otherwise, you won't cut much, or anything.

Turn off the fan or music, try to listen while you shave. Listen to verify you hear whiskers being cut.

Put the guard bar on the face. Tilt the handle up until you feel the blade. Raise the handle a bit more. This is one extreme of the shaving angle range. The other extreme is where the blade, guard and cap all touch the face.

Keep the skin taut. Stretch the skin if necessary. Take short strokes. Maintain your angle. You won't need a lot of pressure as long as you have the angle dialed in. This will all become natural and automatic with some practice.

It might just be that particular razor, or the razor/blade combo.

For example, I have 2 Postwar Techs, one ball-end, and one fat handle. The ball-end is efficient and gives great shaves with just about any blades. However, the fat handled one is way too mild. I need to use a Kai blade to get a decent shave with it.

I don't think the handle weight would make that much difference. Although tbh I've never switched the heads to test that theory.

My advice is try another Tech, they're cheap and easy to find.:D

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Good advice has been given already. If there is no improvement maybe you could show us some photos of your Tech loaded up with the blade and we can scrutinise the photos for any blemishes with the razor. Gillette Techs loaded with a Feather blade give me some of my best shaves.

The Tech does not have a lot of blade exposure. That means that the effective shaving angle is quite narrow. You need to find the effective angle range and stay in it as you move the razor along the various parts of the face. Otherwise, you won't cut much, or anything.

Turn off the fan or music, try to listen while you shave. Listen to verify you hear whiskers being cut.

Put the guard bar on the face. Tilt the handle up until you feel the blade. Raise the handle a bit more. This is one extreme of the shaving angle range. The other extreme is where the blade, guard and cap all touch the face.

Keep the skin taut. Stretch the skin if necessary. Take short strokes. Maintain your angle. You won't need a lot of pressure as long as you have the angle dialed in. This will all become natural and automatic with some practice.
My bad, I forgot to mention that this is not my first time wet shaving.

I shaved every day for about 4 months with Merkur 34c. I had a few bad shaves here and there, but after about 1 month I could constantly get close to BBS shave with 2 passes and little to no irritation.

This razor really frustrates me because it shaves worse than my 5 euro supermarket cartridge razor.

My bad, I forgot to mention that this is not my first time wet shaving.

I shaved every day for about 4 months with Merkur 34c. I had a few bad shaves here and there, but after about 1 month I could constantly get close to BBS shave with 2 passes and little to no irritation.

This razor really frustrates me because it shaves worse than my 5 euro supermarket cartridge razor.

How then is it that many people are able to get a good shave with the Tech? If it works for them, it can surely work for you, too. Especially with a Feather, that's usually a good match.

This razor was produced from the 1930s through the 1970s and even today in other parts of the world. Do you think it was sold in the millions for so many years if it did not shave well?

I gave you some instructions without assuming anything about your experience. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. Shaving with the Tech the same way as you are accustomed to with the Merkur doesn't seem to be working, so something will need to change.

Last edited:

+1! Techs are great razors in the ‘mild/moderate’ category! That said, proper razor angle is key.

How then is it that many people are able to get a good shave with the Tech? If it works for them, it can surely work for you, too.
Well as already mentioned, it could be my razor in particular.

I understand I’m not nearly as experienced as most people on this forum, but again, is it really that hard to shave with Tech?

The biggest problem I currently have is that I have nothing to compare it to, so buying another razor would be a great way to start.

No harm in trying. Not sure where you're located. I got several Techs in nice shape here from the U.S. Ebay for $10-15, including shipping. FWIW, my favorite is probably the Canadian early 1940s model with triangular slots (a bit more aggressive). The 1952 model (code X2) is probably a close second. I like the all-brass construction of the earlier models.

Welcome, I have several Tech's and they all shave well though my pre war Fat Handle (triangular slots) is my favorite. FWIW, I never had a problem shaving with a Tech, I found the right angle and it worked like a charm. Sorry yours is giving you such trouble,

Welcome to the forum. When I started using my fat handle Tech, I detested the darn thing. After adjusting the shave angle and trying different blades, it has become one of my favorites in my rotation. Patience and practice is the name of the game. Once you have it down, you'll love it!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I understand I’m not nearly as experienced as most people on this forum, but again, is it really that hard to shave with Tech?

The biggest problem I currently have is that I have nothing to compare it to, so buying another razor would be a great way to start.
Use the guard as shown.
Tech4Ways.jpg
Figure.6..png

If this doesn't work, it is probably the razor.

~doug~

The good news is that you have another razor that works fine (34).

I have some Techs, (maybe 6+) and have used them maybe x2..... I am into other stuff and these just came with brothers and sisters......

Try w the advice others gave, or revert to the 34.

I have lots of Techs from the first ones to some of the last and they all work well for me. I also have a Merkur 34C, which shaves the way you describe your Tech experience for me. I posted about that weirdness and got the shaving angle advice that you are getting with an explanation that the 34C is very finicky about the shaving angle. The next time I used the 34C, I had a dramatically better experience. All I would add here is that be sure to shave in a quiet room so you can hear whether you are using the correct angle. Heck, you may even try a side-by-side shave with your Tech and your 34C. As others have said, if you can't get your Tech to work well, then it just might be the particular example that you have.

If you have gap gauges, use them to check the blade gap. If you don't, you could try using four sheets of typical copy paper as a gap gauge (four stacked sheets of 20 lb copy paper is about 0.016 inches thick). The gap in a Tech is in that neighborhood or slightly bigger (0.022 to 0.025 inches).

If you have less than one year's experience then I think it is more likely to be you. Post up some photos and buy a second Tech to eliminate the possibility of that being the sources of your woes. Having used carts for ~32 years before trying DE, it took me over a year to fully lose the bad muscle memory habits I had gained thereby.

I took to DE shaving almost a decade ago now and my technique has refined over the years. I have moved on from DE, shaving mostly with shavettes these days.

Now if you think you're having difficulty, believe me the Tech is VERY forgiving compared to a shavette with Feather Professional blades. The latter will take half your face in the blink of an eye!! :D

For the Tech use some forgiving CELLA Milano Extra Extra Purissima. For whatever reason it goes extremely well with the Rapira I use. Blade I like Muhle, Personna Platinum, Derby Extra and Rapira (red, white, blue). The first 60 shaves were terrible. Start WTG only. Then try XTG one direction with the cheek. The next day use XTG in the other direction. If you are ATG then you really should be with better prep. The facial hair needs time to really soften up. Water, pre-shave oil and TIME is the only thing you need. And showering with super hot long showers can actually cause further damage. Start with microwaved hot water, soak your face with hot towels three times, then apply the pre-shave oil. Brush your teeth, then make your lather. And start with lathering, and just let it sit there on the face while you assemble your razor. Time alone with water can help the razor. And then make sure you get a reliable blade, the first few shaves were rough, and 1-2 shaves before my face was in pain. Now with prep I can probably get 4-5 shaves or more. Get a fresh 100-pack of what works for you.

Another non-obvious thing, you have 4 sides of the razor blade. Tape with electric tape one of the sides. Use one side up completely. Use a permanent marker to indicate what side you are shaving with. You should at minimum be getting 2-4 fresh shaves from the razor blade. Or just remember logo side up or logo side down of your razor head.

Derby Extra I enjoy a lot more to the Astra Green.

Top Bottom