What's new

Newbie here from Alameda, California

Hello All,
When I was growing up in the 50's, my dad shaved with a straight razor and at some point I remember he got a Fat Boy. When I started shaving, I bought the "new" Gillette techmatic and some old spice and some kind of foam in a can -- then about 1967 Hai Karate aftershave was all the rage. TV advertising was pretty powerful on a dumb kid so I went from techmatic to the trac II when that came out - then the whole electric Remington/Norelco/Braun.

All those years not having a clue that I could have just bought a Fat Boy or Slim or SS and a shave brush.

I'm a few weeks into wet shaving with a DE and really enjoying it. And only a few weeks in I have already falling down the rabbit hole. My first razor was the 'merica and then last week I got really curious to try different things so I bought a Merkur slant and I can tell I'm going to love the slant once I get my technique down. I got a badger and a boar brush - so far preferring the boar. And some MWF soap and then I scored an old formula Tabac.

I was surprised to read posts complaining about the Wool Fat soap being hard to lather - my boar brush and a little warm water whips up a pile of creamy lather in a few seconds (this town has great water) ... I'm still experimenting with how much water I can add in before it falls apart. It has me questioning that I must not know what good lather is yet - because I see all these YouTube videos with people telling me I need to load the brush for 3 minutes and then work up a lather for another 5 minutes --- I guess I don't know what I'm doing :letterk1:

And I've already fallen into the next rabbit hole - just picked up this Slim(marked H3 is that 1962?)
1669682310056.png

OK ... off to read more posts and see what else I can learn

Hello All,
When I was growing up in the 50's, my dad shaved with a straight razor and at some point I remember he got a Fat Boy. When I started shaving, I bought the "new" Gillette techmatic and some old spice and some kind of foam in a can -- then about 1967 Hai Karate aftershave was all the rage. TV advertising was pretty powerful on a dumb kid so I went from techmatic to the trac II when that came out - then the whole electric Remington/Norelco/Braun.

All those years not having a clue that I could have just bought a Fat Boy or Slim or SS and a shave brush.

I'm a few weeks into wet shaving with a DE and really enjoying it. And only a few weeks in I have already falling down the rabbit hole. My first razor was the 'merica and then last week I got really curious to try different things so I bought a Merkur slant and I can tell I'm going to love the slant once I get my technique down. I got a badger and a boar brush - so far preferring the boar. And some MWF soap and then I scored an old formula Tabac.

I was surprised to read posts complaining about the Wool Fat soap being hard to lather - my boar brush and a little warm water whips up a pile of creamy lather in a few seconds (this town has great water) ... I'm still experimenting with how much water I can add in before it falls apart. It has me questioning that I must not know what good lather is yet - because I see all these YouTube videos with people telling me I need to load the brush for 3 minutes and then work up a lather for another 5 minutes --- I guess I don't know what I'm doing :letterk1:

And I've already fallen into the next rabbit hole - just picked up this Slim(marked H3 is that 1962?)
View attachment 1563826

Welcome to B&B. I hope you enjoy your stay here along with like minded wet shavers like yourself.
If you really want to amp up your fun factor explore the world of straight razor shaving.
It can be the mother of all rabbit holes!😀

Since you like your boar brush, a good way to get to know some of the characters here is to join Decemboar. Just head on over and let them know you are in and then post as much, or as little, as you like during the month.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B. I hope you enjoy your stay here along with like minded wet shavers like yourself.
If you really want to amp up your fun factor explore the world of straight razor shaving.
It can be the mother of all rabbit holes!😀
@AndyPanda, not all suggestions on B&B are good. Straight razor shaving can become a life-threatening addiction. I'm addicted to it and in all probably, will be dead within about 20 years.

Hello All,

View attachment 1563826

Welcome to B&B! I’m new myself, about 6 months wet shaving. I’m learning here every day. After trying a whole bunch of vintage Gillette’s, IMO you just can’t beat a Gillette slim! A good lather is as gratifying as whipping up a good Roux. I don’t have hard water either, and unless I’m using a really soft soap (messy) I have discovered that I get a better lather/base and use a lot less soap by skipping the bowl and face lathering. Load a little, work it into the whiskers real good, and while that is soaking in load heavy, add a little water and lather up on my face. Everyone seems to develop their own personalized techniques. Do what works for you. After trying a few brushes I’ll admit that for fitting in the soap container without getting sloppy, the best lather, drying quickly, not deforming and ease of use a $9 Razorock 24mm knot synthetic is my very favorite brush. Some prefer the finer things in life or may have techniques that are above my own that allow them to appreciate and justify spending hundreds on brushes. I’m on the other end of the spectrum wondering why…as always, with almost anything shave related, YMMV.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hello All,

View attachment 1563826

1st off welcome to B&B. Every time I see anything about Alameda I think of the movie Star Trek IV and chuckle to my self. Enjoy your time here.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
These calls are answered in the order they are received. Please hang on the line and the next available customer service representative will be with you shortly.

Just kidding. Welcome to B & B. Glad you're here, sir! :001_smile

1st off welcome to B&B. Every time I see anything about Alameda I think of the movie Star Trek IV and chuckle to my self. Enjoy your time here.
Yes! Whenever I have to explain to someone where I live these days I ask if they remember "vere do you keep da nuclear wessles?"

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Thanks for taking the time to check in with us. When I hear of Alameda I just think of Mythbusters. They seemed to be there most of the time.

Top Bottom