What's new

Newbie help

Welcome. 🙂

So, you changed the razor but it seems that you also modified your technique in several ways: lighter touch, did not go over the same spot twice without lather, and you shaved slower. All good stuff.

My point is that you should be able to achieve the same result shaving with either razor, if you apply the same technique.

Remember that shaving is about beard reduction. I use, and prefer, mild razors. I expect that when I rinse my face after the first pass that I will feel a lot of stubble in various areas. It may be shorter but it is still there, and I know I will get it all on subsequent passes and finish with some gentle touchup.

I'm fine with that, and expect that my shave will be a slower process because I'm generally using a less efficient (milder) razor. Some guys prefer a higher level of efficiency and don't want to feel any (or less) stubble remaining after the first pass, but the trade-off with a more efficient razor may be a more aggressive razor that requires more attention to prevent getting bit.

It comes down to practice, with some trail and error and, of course, seeking advice. It's a process, but it sounds like you are on your way to success.
I agree with everything you just stated, I just achieved a bbs with the aggressive razor, with a slight amount of tingling with the alum block, took 4 passes, probably could have done it in 3 but had to be careful around a few razor bumps I acquired from pressing too hard, I believe. Any tricks to get those gone quickly? I never experienced razor bumps until I started DE shaving.

Last edited:
Any tricks to get those gone quickly?
You need Bump Patrol. I can't tell you where to get it, but i always have it around. Pasteur Pharmacy, but maybe Target?

Good job getting that razor figured out! With a light enough touch, I find the Hensons won't further irritate bumps.

@trolltaxi Welcome to the best shaving forum on the planet!

I totally concur with all the great technique advice above. However, Wrong choice of blades in my opinion. Many new Brothers start out with the idea that the 'sharpest' blades will give the best result.

It ain't necessarily so. Unless you have a heavy and dense beard a good old Gillette Platinum or Silver Blue will work great. They are sharp enough for almost all beard types, are very smooth and get smoother as you use them.

The sharper blades recommended above can be very unforgiving, especially if your technique is not perfected, and will just increase irritation in sensitive areas, especially the neck and upper lip.

The Plats and Silver Blues tend to be very forgiving in terms of irritation, that's my experience with them.

The main thing is to work on your technique, and don't give up!
GSB's and Gillette Platinums are great choices - especially when you put one into a 90 year old vintage razor Get an old vintage razor that has withstood the test of time, is widely imitated, but was made by men who knew what they were doing a generation ago or more.

20220828_180149.jpg

Welcome to the forums.
I have been DE/wet shaving for a year and a half. I got the same advice you are being told.
I wish I had bookmarked a post from @LJBraaten , but basically he said Trust Your Razor. The weight of the head without pressure will do the job. I have a Henson AL13. All I need to do is make sure I have good prep, lather and a good angle. The razor will do its job. The second pass will get the rest.
If you are getting irritation, just do two passes with the grain for a while. this will give you time and experience to learn and enjoy this special hobby. I never shoot for a BBS. I have older and sensitive skin. For touch ups, I stretch skin around the jaw, use light short strokes and ride the guard. My face and shaves have never been better!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little more about yourself.

I suspect you’re applying too much pressure, which is easy to do with light and inefficient razors. Use a very sharp blade to improve efficiency, Feather, Nacet, Perma-Sharp, etc, and skip the ATG pass until you master the Henson. The neck is always the most prone to irritation, so BBS may not be worth it.
Yeah, I suspect pressure as well. Maintaining the perfect angle is the most efficient method for achieving a close comfortable shave.

I am a new wet shaver, also using the Henson mild. I was also getting a ton of irritation. The two main things that helped me...

1. The blade. So far Voskhod is my favorite. Astra SP was good too. Wilkinson Sword was the worst for me. Vikings Blade mild was bad too. Those are the only 4 I've tried so far.

2. Better aftershave. Lots of guys on here recommend Speick aftershave lotion (splash). It was a huge help. Stings at first but then feels great.

Good luck!

I am a new wet shaver, also using the Henson mild. I was also getting a ton of irritation. The two main things that helped me...

1. The blade. So far Voskhod is my favorite. Astra SP was good too. Wilkinson Sword was the worst for me. Vikings Blade mild was bad too. Those are the only 4 I've tried so far.

2. Better aftershave. Lots of guys on here recommend Speick aftershave lotion (splash). It was a huge help. Stings at first but then feels great.

Good luck!
I’ll try the speick stuff just to see what it’s like. I ended up buying the aggressive version and with nacet or paa strangelet blades ( haven’t tried others in it yet )it provides a great shave without irritation.

I’ll try the speick stuff just to see what it’s like. I ended up buying the aggressive version and with nacet or paa strangelet blades ( haven’t tried others in it yet )it provides a great shave without irritation.
Interesting to think that the aggressive Henson would be less irritating. I wish we could sample a ton without the hassle of returns.

Interesting to think that the aggressive Henson would be less irritating. I wish we could sample a ton without the hassle of returns.
I agree with the sampling, I think the aggressive version is less irritating because it requires less buffing.

Pre shave oil protects the skin, however it can also make the whiskers more difficult to cut, and "kill" the lather.
"Beginner" razors can be difficult to use. I have the Henson +++. I would not know what to do with the mild version.
I started with the Feather ASD2, I should have started with something more efficient. It can be efficient, but I find it more difficult to use then razors with some blade feel to guide me.

Top Bottom