What's new

Newbie Gillette D3 Collector

I’d like to start collecting Gillette D3 razors (i.e., birthday in September). I’ve done some research and I believe there may be as many as nine (9) different models to collect. I’d appreciate any feedback on my list:

Newbie Gillette D3 Collection List
1. Blue Tip Super Speed
2. Flare Tip Super Speed
3. Red Tip Super Speed
4. TV Special Super Speed
5. Fat Boy Adjustable
6. Fat Boy Red Dot Adjustable
7. Fat Boy Adjustable Gold
8. Toggle Nickel
9. Toggle Non-Nickel (?)

Welcome to B&B.
Fatboys' of D3 manufacture date would be extremely expensive Toggles' too. The Superspeeds' are easier to find.

Gonna need a lot $$$ to get all these.....and a fair amount of luck and time to find them.....except: 2,3,5
Thanks xiletero,
Any suggestions where to go to start collecting the “low hanging fruit” you noted? I’ve gone to eBay and Etsy and will start looking out for local garage and estate sales (once the Coronavirus threat dissipates) but that’s as much as I know so far.

Welcome to B&B.
Fatboys' of D3 manufacture date would be extremely expensive Toggles' too. The Superspeeds' are easier to find.
Thanks Invicta,
Are there regional or national conventions or shows where razor collectors or enthusiasts can view, sell, buy, or trade? I’m also searching to see if there are any magazines that publish histories, articles, ads, etc. but haven’t found anything yet.

Welcome to the forum !!
Thanks Nickcutlip,
I want to learn to wet shave with a Gillette D3, and from what I understand, a Newbie should probably start with a Flare Tip Super Speed or TV Special Super Speed as they are the most available mild shave razors. The Blue Tip and Fat Boy Adjustable would also provide a mild shave but would be far more difficult to get. I have no idea whether the Toggle is mild or aggressive.

Are there regional or national conventions or shows where razor collectors or enthusiasts can view, sell, buy, or trade? I’m also searching to see if there are any magazines that publish histories, articles, ads, etc. but haven’t found anything yet.
I don't know of any but there are more chances of you finding them in North America than Europe. Choices here are very limited in comparison.

Just made my first Gillette D3 purchase and it wasn’t even on the list! It’s the travel size 3 piece Tech razor

I believe it’s not considered a mild or aggressive shave, but something in the middle (similar to a flare tip).

Trying to find the standard size handle as well as a modern reproduction of the WW1 Khaki razor kit in which to keep it.
070FE639-923D-41B8-A6FB-DA46ACEEEFB5.jpeg
35D84579-4240-4957-A41C-F78EB1757863.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just made my first Gillette D3 purchase and it wasn’t even on the list! It’s the travel size 3 piece Tech razor

I believe it’s not considered a mild or aggressive shave, but something in the middle (similar to a flare tip).

Trying to find the standard size handle as well as a modern reproduction of the WW1 Khaki razor kit in which to keep it.View attachment 1087725View attachment 1087728
Impressed! Give that sucker a try with the short handle; you may surprise yourself. It's kinda like choking up on the bat. You may get better "feedback" on the shave.

Good luck in your searches my friend!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And don't be surprised if you find a few years and MANY dollars later that the "lowly" Tech is your favorite razor!

Top Bottom