What's new

Newbie from the South

Hello everyone. I've been kinda lurking here for about 2 months now. I have made a few post and ask a few questions so I thought it was time to introduce myself. I'm from around the Huntsville, Alabama area and have lived here for the past 17 years. I've learned a lot from the members here and I'm looking forward to learning more and contributing as I learn.

After many years of shaving with a Braun Series 7 electric razor I have made the move back to wet shaving. I spent many hours researching wet shaving and how to get started. I already had a Gilette Mach 3 handle from pre Braun days so I decided to start back with something somewhat familiar.

I cringed at the thought of having to buy cartridges and I had been seeing these Dollar Shave Club ads. While researching it Harry's came to my attention and the the general consensis was it was better quality so I decided to order their starter kit. Hey it was only $15 so what the heck. I also discovered that Double Edge was better than cartridges and the best shave would come from a straight razor.

The plan is to start out with the Mach 3, trying some differenct “can” shaving creams, winding up with the Brush and shaving cream. Then test the Harry's just to see if 5 blades make any difference, and then to start Double Edge shaving. Maybe some day I'll give the straight razor a go.

Here is what I have amassed to begin my journey back into wet shaving.

Gillette Mach 3 and Mach 3 Sensitive Cartridges
Harry's Truman Set with handle, cartridges (5 blade), and shave cream.
Edwin Jagger Extra Long Double Edge Safety Razor, Chrome DEL8914BL

Double Edge Razor Blades
Derby Extra
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Gillette Silver Blue
Dorco ST300
Voskhod Teflon Coated
Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
Crystal (Israeli Personna)
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)
Personna Med Prep
Personna Platinum (Israeli Red)
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Super Stainless

Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera Formula Unscented
Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Lab Series Pro LS All-In-One Face Treatment (been using this for a long time)
Proraso After Shave Balm Protective

Clubman Jumbo Styptic Pencil

Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Faux Horn Handle Shaving Brush
Captain's Choice Original Lather Bowl - Cobalt
Deluxe Stainless Steel Safety Razor and Shaving Brush Stand from Super Safety Razors

Proraso Shaving Cream, Sandalwood
Taylor of Old Bond Street Cedarwood Shaving Cream
Musgo Real Shave Cream - Classic Scent
Shaving Cream Sampler 6 pack - Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood, D. R. Harris Arlington, Nancy Boy Blossomwood, Taylor Sandalwood, Trumper Sandalwood, and Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood

Lab Series Multi-Action Face Wash
Nivea Men Original Moisturizing Face Wash
Nivea Men Energy Face Scrub
Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub

I started with what I left off with. Pre-shave was Lab Series Multi-Action Face Wash in the shower, shave with the Mach 3 and Edge Extra Protection Shave Gel, followed by Alum Block, Thayers, and Lab Series Pro LS. I want to try different creams and both cartridge razors before going to the double edge. I plan on trying each combination for a week. I will not be trying any of the new facial washes / scrubs at this time.

$20151224_211521-1.jpg

I'm going to post my progress and results in journal entry on here.
Thanks for all the information!!!

Last edited:
Wow! You amassed quite a lineup of stuff! You are not fooling around! Good to see a fellow Alabamian here, we are few in number so far but I am doing my part to try and change that!

I notice you don't yet have a vintage Gillette! You need to visit some antique stores around Lake Guntersville and pickup one! Just don't get all of them, I am still looking for a few in those shops as well! Glad your here!:thumbup:

Hello and welcome, Craig. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Looks like you are very well stocked for your journey! Congrats.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome alex, dionesius3 - I can see myself becoming a 3017'er, Nick, BSAGuy - Did that 1st!, ackvil, and PMT - Thanks, I tend get involved when I undertake something like this.

Top Bottom