What's new

Newbie from New Jersey

Hey there B&B world! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been lurking for the last few weeks. I honestly can't explain why it is I'm here other than I was somehow bitten by the shaving bug a month or so ago and feel like I've discovered a whole new world. I've been shaving with a brush and shaving soap (but using a cartridge) for my pretty much my whole shaving life (other than a few off years using cream from a can).

A little over a month ago I bought a safety razor for some odd reason (probably the ridiculous cost of disposables) and realized i could treat myself to some nicer soaps (TOB/Proraso at the moment) and aftershaves. The safety took a week or two to get comfortable with and I was quickly amazed at how close a shave I was getting. Couldn't stop feeling/touching my own face. The other strange thing was that I found myself often thinking about the next days shave! Its been about 2 months now and I still look fwd to every morning's shave. Crazy. Hope that doesn't go away.

Maybe the DE is the gateway drug who knows, but I then found myself looking at SR's and recently bought one from Jarrod at Superior Shave (Rasoir Sabre - Half Hollow 5/8's). I've shaved 3 times so far. The 1st time I was overly ambitious and suffered some razor burn/bumps and now I'm just doing cheeks to the jaw line and the rest with DE till the bumps go away and I'm comfortable with the angle with both hands. Like everyone says there's no rush.

Anyway, just thought I'd check in. Looking fwd to tomorrow morning :)

pkrip

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the new journey of shaving, as well as check out some of the other topics in the forums.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hamilton, NJ here!!!!!!!!!
My story ius much like yours. I still look forward to every shave and also touch my own face wondering how it got this soft :)

Welcome from West Orange NJ! And welcome to the rabbit hole. You’ll learn a lot from the great people who frequent this forum.

Thanks for all the welcomes and words of encouragement. I’ve learned so much from this group already. Long way to go though. Special shout out to the Jersey contingency (from Princeton myself). If anyone has suggestions for a honing service let me know. My preliminary searches are indicating Nelson for the NYC area. Thanks again!

Yo pkrip! Originally from Somerville....still have some family up that way. Now I consider myself a Virginia native. What's the saying.... "Yankee by birth, Dixie by heart." Hehe.

Top Bottom