What's new

Newbie from DownUnder (Perth)

Duke 3, synthetic

Duke 3 synthetic.jpg

Alum

Thanks for the photo and info on your Red Tip.

I managed to find a very much used one here in Australia for a very good price and I'm going to give it a go and see if I like the red's. At the moment I'm buying an assortment of razors primarily to use so cosmetics isn't as big a deal as long as there in good working order and minimal plating damage.

Photo of local red tip razor with no red tip 😜

View attachment 1583692

View attachment 1583694

View attachment 1583696

View attachment 1583697
Nice one mate!

That Red should be an English Red, very rare. It's got the 694093 patent number under the centre bar, like all English TTO's post 1954-5. I think most Reds were sent from the London factory to Australia, but I might be wrong. Does it say Made In England?

That gives a very different shave, a touch more aggressive than the US Reds I believe.

Last edited:
Nice one mate!

That Red should be an English Red, very rare. It's got the 694093 patent number under the centre bar, like all English TTO's. I think most Reds were sent from the London factory to Australia, but I might be wrong. Does it say Made In England?

That gives a very different shave, a touch more aggressive than the US Reds I believe.
Unfortunately I won't find out until the Red gets delivered next week, but as it's from a seller here in Oz I've got a 50 / 50 chance it could be made in England :)

Make that 100% I would say. From your pic that shows the patent number. The US Reds like mine have 'Patent Nos On Pkg' under the centre bar. Nice piece! :thumbup1:
It was pure luck I came across it on Aus eBay 🙃 as I'd been looking on the USA eBay for a Red Tip and there were plenty there, but price jumps with having to post to Oz (think I should have waited before I bought the Red & Black as had to pay postage from USA and Oz tax which added another $45aud 🙁).

I think the Oz Red Tip was a gentleman who was getting rid of a couple of old Gillettes as he had another old open comb razor that I got him to throw in for $20aud, and the Red tip for $30aud 😁 (with $10 postage for both).

lasta

Blade Biter
Alum

Thanks for the photo and info on your Red Tip.

I managed to find a very much used one here in Australia for a very good price and I'm going to give it a go and see if I like the red's. At the moment I'm buying an assortment of razors primarily to use so cosmetics isn't as big a deal as long as there in good working order and minimal plating damage.

Photo of local red tip razor with no red tip 😜

View attachment 1583692

View attachment 1583694

View attachment 1583696

View attachment 1583697

Red Tips are great razors, definitely one of my favourites! But IMO, what makes a Red Tip stand out from other Super Speeds/Rockets are it's red Louboutin heels! If you ask @mgweatherly nicely, I'm sure he can point you to the right paint color number.

Personally I prefer the US red Tip to the British. Those red Louboutins and fishnet knurling really speaks to me. The British version has just a bit too much ankle showing. If you don't mind a bit of ankle, I'm sure they shave similar enough. The Rocket version has the added perk of smooth push-up action.

If you ask @mgweatherly nicely, I'm sure he can point you to the right paint color number.
Humbrol enamel, Crimson No. 20 gloss is the paint you want for your Red Tip TTO knob.
You can NEVER have too much ankle showing!
I would say it depends on the ankle, but that's just me.

@Celts88, you are accumulating a very nice and diverse collection! Well done and welcome to the forum :thumbup:. The Gillette "freebie" that you posted looks like a much sought after early 1930s NEW type Big Boy Deluxe! Very nice find.

Red Tips are great razors, definitely one of my favourites! But IMO, what makes a Red Tip stand out from other Super Speeds/Rockets are it's red Louboutin heels! If you ask @mgweatherly nicely, I'm sure he can point you to the right paint color number.

Personally I prefer the US red Tip to the British. Those red Louboutins and fishnet knurling really speaks to me. The British version has just a bit too much ankle showing. If you don't mind a bit of ankle, I'm sure they shave similar enough. The Rocket version has the added perk of smooth push-up action.
@lasta

That was want I was hoping to do with making the 'red tip' actually red 😜 I'm looking at getting razors for actual use, not just for collection / resale, so I don't see that as 'cheating' if I gave the tip a touch-up for the aesthetics.

@mgweatherly would you be able to advise the code colour for the red I would need please?

@Celts88, you are accumulating a very nice and diverse collection! Well done and welcome to the forum :thumbup:. The Gillette "freebie" that you posted looks like a much sought after early 1930s NEW type Big Boy Deluxe! Very nice find.
Only just noticed your comment about possibly scoring a 1930s NEW type Big Boy Deluxe 😳

Looks like I've landed real lucky with these 2 buys - beginners luck 😝

lasta

Blade Biter
@lasta

That was want I was hoping to do with making the 'red tip' actually red 😜 I'm looking at getting razors for actual use, not just for collection / resale, so I don't see that as 'cheating' if I gave the tip a touch-up for the aesthetics.

@mgweatherly would you be able to advise the code colour for the red I would need please?
Not cheating at all!

I frequently strip my razors down to bare brass, sometimes I'll even redress them in silver.

I call this the best of both worlds:
20220122_004032.jpg

Not cheating at all!

I frequently strip my razors down to bare brass, sometimes I'll even redress them in silver.

I call this the best of both worlds:
View attachment 1585769
Is that a special process you can do by yourself or does it need to be done by professionals (not saying you're not an expert at it).

I suppose if I'm keeping the razors for myself then nothing wrong with giving them a new set of 'clothes to wear' 😜

Top Bottom