What's new

Newbie from DownUnder (Perth)

lasta

Blade Biter
Is that a special process you can do by yourself or does it need to be done by professionals (not saying you're not an expert at it).

I suppose if I'm keeping the razors for myself then nothing wrong with giving them a new set of 'clothes to wear' 😜
Nah, no professionalism at all!

I like to watch TV and rub my brass.

More here:

Legion

Staff member
Nice one mate!

That Red should be an English Red, very rare. It's got the 694093 patent number under the centre bar, like all English TTO's post 1954-5. I think most Reds were sent from the London factory to Australia, but I might be wrong. Does it say Made In England?

That gives a very different shave, a touch more aggressive than the US Reds I believe.
You made me go and dig mine out (found in the Australian wild). It does indeed have that serial number. The OP should be happy with his. Good shaver.

EA9F94F2-E161-49C9-8236-3297EEC85B97.jpeg
93DB023A-908C-4390-ABC8-16E6CFC9C9F7.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Humbrol enamel, Crimson No. 20 gloss is the paint you want for your Red Tip TTO knob.

I would say it depends on the ankle, but that's just me.

@Celts88, you are accumulating a very nice and diverse collection! Well done and welcome to the forum :thumbup:. The Gillette "freebie" that you posted looks like a much sought after early 1930s NEW type Big Boy Deluxe! Very nice find.
Is that the colour for the US or Brit red tip? My memory is that the Brit one is a darker red than the US. But I no longer have an American one to compare side by side.

You made me go and dig mine out (found in the Australian wild). It does indeed have that serial number. The OP should be happy with his. Good shaver.

View attachment 1585781View attachment 1585782
@Legion That's in superb nick yours 👍, whereabouts in the bush did you get it?

I seem to have got really lucky with most of the razors I've bought over the last fortnight (only started collecting then):
  • Gillette - USA, ‘New’ Long Comb, Red & Black (1934)
  • Gillette - English, 'New' Big Boy Deluxe??? (193?)
  • Gillette - English, Rocket HD (195?)
  • Gillette - English, Red Tip Super Speed (195?)
  • Gillette - English, Rocket 'Parat' (1958)
  • Gillette - USA, Aristocrat 'Gold' Slim Adjustable (1966)
  • Gillette - English, Tech (1972)
  • Gillette - USA, Super Adjustable '109' (1976)
  • Gillette - English, Super Slim Twist (1979)

I think thats an English NEW, probably part of a No 77 set. That would be 1933 on.
proxy.php

One of my favourite TTO razors, the wonderful Rocket Heavy Duty. If a PAT.PENDING, 1953-55
proxy.php

An English Red Tip. I suspect yours is probably 1958-60.
proxy.php

It should have III on the left bottom baseplate diamond.

That was an efficiency rating that the Gillette London factory was putting on their TTO's by about 1957 on. It is a good way to date any English TTO. I was 'mild', II 'medium' and III was 'heavy'

Another Gillette England design quirk.

Legion

Staff member
I think thats an English NEW, probably part of a No 77 set. That would be 1933 on.
proxy.php

One of my favourite TTO razors, the wonderful Rocket Heavy Duty. If a PAT.PENDING, 1953-55
proxy.php

proxy.php

That was an efficiency rating that the Gillette London factory was putting on their TTO's by about 1957 on. It is a good way to date any English TTO. I was 'mild', II 'medium' and III was 'heavy'

That red tip pictured is a bit different to mine and the OP's. See it has a bit of a gap between the knob and the handle, like a rocket? Ours does not.

642AED3B-AB21-4421-A4A6-B25B7245C080.jpeg

That red tip pictured is a bit different to mine and the OP's. See it has a bit of a gap between the knob and the handle, like a rocket? Ours does not.

View attachment 1586086
It's got the English Rocket mechanism! The gap in the handle closes when the silo doors are opened, like a Rocket HD.

How unusual. Unsure if the London factory used two TTO mechanisms on the Red Tips. It looks like it.

Thanks for pointing that out @Legion, will have to go and check now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm waiting for all the razors to arrive, except for the English Rocket 'Parat' (1958) that came in on Monday. Once they're here I'll take some photos of them and put in this post so you can confirm what they actually are 🙃

Photo of Rocket HD with Brit Pat 694093

Brit Pat. 694093 copy.jpg

A couple of photos of the Parat (I think that's what it is 😜)

English Rocket Parat (3) copy 2.jpg

English Rocket Parat (4) copy 2.jpg

English Rocket Parat (5) copy 2.jpg

English Rocket Parat (6) copy 2.jpg

I'm waiting for all the razors to arrive, except for the English Rocket 'Parat' (1958) that came in on Monday. Once they're here I'll take some photos of them and put in this post so you can confirm what they actually are 🙃

Photo of Rocket HD with Brit Pat 694093

View attachment 1586219

A couple of photos of the Parat (I think that's what it is 😜)

View attachment 1586189

View attachment 1586190

View attachment 1586191

View attachment 1586192
That looks to be a 1958 Parat made for the German market. Parat in German in this sense probably best translates as 'Ready' or 'Handy'. I think this is yours
proxy.php

It matches up pretty well. 1958 would tie in with the II effectiveness use on bottom baseplate.

Gillette's London factory termed this a German Set No. 57. Unfortunately the Mr Razor photo is not clear as to the place of manufacture which should be lower right of bottom baseplate.

It's very likely that both English and German made Parats were produced for the European market.

It's very possible that this was a razor intended for the UK and ANZAC market also, which was produced, but may have been called something different for these markets. Can't find any photo backup for this yet though.

Still fascinated by the idea that the Gillette London factory produced 2 kinds of TTO mechanism for the English Red Tip. Will need to check that out further.

Last edited:
proxy.php
@Alum Ladd

Going to throw a wild card in here, but could it be an 81 (unsure if the handle is thick enough)?

Hard to say from the low quality photo, and will know for certain when it arrives, but I think looks wise it compares more to the 81

English, New No. 77 (1933).jpg

English, New No. 81 (1933).jpg

Hi @Celts88, just seen your original post.

I'm from Perth also, not really a collector. I do love Vintage Gillette.

I have
- Gillette British rocket HD
- Gillette British rocket flare-Tip
- Gillette Super Adjustable

All are used in rotation; I don't have any for display.

Top Bottom