What's new

Newbie first post, Japan residing

Hello,
Was just given my first double edge safty razor from a friend. (He also pointed me to this site.) Don't know the details of it since I'm new to this game, but it's a short handle made by Gillette. Loving the new shaving experience though I do nick my neck a little if I'm not careful.

Looking forward to diving into the shave game more.

Cheers

Welcome to the forums! Tons of info here, helped me tremendously in my journey into shaving with a DE razor. One important point is do not use pressure on your razor, let it do the work. Once you get that down and learn how your beard grows it gets to be a real joy to shave.

Welcome to B&B.

The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. This post may help you. Also, take a look at this wiki

Welcome, JayDogg.
...One important point is do not use pressure on your razor, let it do the work.
...The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. ...
And I'm the rebel here who says takes that advice with a grain of salt.
proxy.php

Maybe at first, but don't be afraid to ramp it up after a while.

One important point is do not use pressure on your razor, let it do the work.
For sure, learned the hard way. First shave I looked like I was attacked by a vampire.
Welcome to B&B.

The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle.Also, take a look at this wiki
Good advice, thanks!
Yokoso! Japan has some interesting shave goods on the market -- notably aftershaves.
Yeah, they have an interesting straight blade market too.

Here is my Gillette. Sorry for he crappy pics. Camera broke.

Attachments

• 20190808_161352.jpg
    20190808_161352.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190808_161502.jpg
    20190808_161502.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom