What's new

Newbie Epoxy question

Hello, I have found some old brushes I would like to re-knot. What type of glue or epoxy should I use? I really have no idea what to go with. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used both two part epoxy and silicone on different brushes. The silicon is definitely nice if you want to be able to remove and adjust the loft of the knot. As said if you are sure of the loft you want two part epoxy is a more solid solution. You can always test with silicon then when you know you are happy with the loft re glue with epoxy. Once you epoxy it is very difficult to re set a knot without damaging either the handle or knot or both.
When I use epoxy I use T-88 two part. It was recommended to me at woodcraft.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Don't forget to post some photos of the brushes when you are finished. Or give us a running commentary on your start to finish on the project brushes.

If I'm setting knots on two or more brushes at the same time I prefer a longer setting epoxy so it doesn't start to set up before I'm ready. One hour epoxy works great as does 12 hour epoxy.

I've used Gorilla clear 5 minute epoxy with good results on several brushes until I tired using it on my new Alpha t400 clone. It's either that the epoxy has started to turn yellow with age or there is not enough gluing surface on the screw disk t hold it down. I just lost the knot again this morning. I will let it dry, and use some sandpaper to get rid of the old glue and start with a new batch.

Any epoxy will do and they are all waterproof. I like a medium setting time so I can clean up. Vinegar works great to clean up any unreacted epoxy that got where it doesn't belong. The problem with silicone is that it will leave a residue that makes any subsequent glueing (including itself) fail to stick. People who are using silicone and moving it are using the friction and suction to hold the knot in but it isn't working as an adhesive on the second application. This is why I don't ever use silicone to place parts on my sailboat. With epoxy you can heat it up, drill it out and sand to create tooth for a new application if need be. I have just wrapped the knot base with electricians tape to to wedge it in to try different setting depths. Then I glue it with epoxy.

Top Bottom