What's new

Newbie cries out for Underdog

I guess my basic question is what to do with old, neglected shoes. Oil, renovator, or garbage?

Cleaning the closet, I noticed the sad state my shoes were in. They'are all at least 10 years old and I can't remember the last time I used or even owned shoe polish or anything. Might have had a squeeze bottle back in 97. So I picked up some stuff. I'm not looking for a good shine, just to get them looking acceptable for a guy that always wears sneakers except for weddings & funerals. Call it a "save or toss?" mission, though to be honest I don't know that any of them are salvageable. But they're probably good for learning.

The worst of them are probably La Milano, some really cheap shoes I bought one day after showing up for work in jeans and sneakers, forgotting we were hosting a customer event. They audibly crinkle when I press on them. A couple others also crinkle audibly, if not as bad. It would be nice to save my Florsheims if only because they fit & feel great, but the bottom is separating so I'll have to bring them in somewhere for professional help.

Used one application of renovateur on my brown Rockports in the picture. You can see their condition after the application. You can also see the stitching is starting to come apart. I was surprised to get back so much brown. Those light spots were furry and light tan. There's only a smidgen of dirt on the cloth as you can see, so I don't think any color leached from the better areas. Was there really still some color underneath that fur? It looks like they could use a few more treatments of renovator before using the polish. They're flexible, not crinkly, but could probably be softer. Or should I switch to oil?

For the ones that crinkle, I'm thinking they definitely need oil. I don't think the renovator would penetrate. Should I expect the worst of them to need several oil treatments? When should I switch to the renovator after oil, or is it beter to use one or the other?

Should I just toss them all and start over and just use these for practice so I don't let them get in this state again?

$shoeshine.jpg

If you use the oil it is doubtful that you will get a shine. Use the saddle soap, then possibly the renovator( no experience with it here) then the colored wax and they could come right back. I have done lots looking worse than that. My wife lets some of her SAS shoes get rather bad before I can polish them and they always come back. What I would go on as to whether they are worth the effort is the condition of the inside of the shoe. then the soles. If ok work on the finish of the uppers.

strop

Now half as wise
Pictures of all of them would help us help you, but "audibly crinkly" does not sound good, especially since these were admittedly inexpensive shoes to begin with.

The one is the picture definitely look worth saving. I assume this is after the Renovateur. For this kind of softer leather I prefer the cream polishes. They will continue to soften and nourish the leather but also add some color and depth. You could still use the hard wax on top for some additional protection, but with these you're not going for that spit shine look anyway.

If the Florsheims are as old as they sound they may be worth saving. Let us have a look at them, and also check out the thread on B Nelson for rebuilding. It's amazing what can be done.

I don't think a picture would help. The others are all dress or business-dress shoes in excellent looking condition with little to no wear anywhere and just a few light scuffs on the uppers. They don't need much more than a regular polishing--visually speaking. They just seem dried out & stiff from sitting in the closet for a decade or two without any maintenance or care.

The Florsheim (left) is a comfortech Novel with rubber sole. The top is separating from the sole in one spot, but it's completely intact otherwise. I'm sure it can be glued together.

L-R Florsheim (15 years old), LA Milano (8 years), G H Bass (?), Sketchers (5 years? definitely not leather, at least not inside)
$4shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Counterpoint: throw those LA Milanos and Sketchers out because they are both super ugly and dated nowadays. The Milanos especially. Square toes shoes were a specific trend about 10 years ago. They looked kinda goofy then, and really goofy now.

The Rockports might be dumpster candidates also. If the leather is "furry" I'm guessing they're pretty heavily scuffed. Given that they are cheap shoes and not really fashionable or special in any way, it might be a good idea to start over there.

Other than that, conditioner is your friend. Get some shoe trees too.

strop

Now half as wise
Agree on the Milanos. No amount of conditioner will get rid of those cracks. For me, I would save the far right to use as yard/workshop/garage shoes.

For the others, shoe trees and polish may go a long way. I have no idea if the composite soles can be glued back on or not.

Thanks for the replies.

The Rockports seem gone. The furry parts aren't getting the same color & might never shine like the rest. Will be interesting to learn on them. Also, getting this close to the shoe, I noticed some internal damage. They lasted a good long time and a lot of wear--I'm thinking 18 years. Probably the only shoe I've seriously worn a lot. Will be revisiting the brand for a replacement.

It looks like I bought Saphir wax--it's very hard anyway. My understanding is Saphir also makes creams. Will try to find some. Will go wax on one and cream on the other. :)

And those Milanos... I hated them when I bought them, and haven't worn them since--just that one emergency day. But they're not cracked, just wrinkled.

Are the Sketchers really that bad? I've used them with Dockers and the like when work dictates no jeans & sneakers, though I haven't had a day like that in 7 years. Don't mind replacing them--they're rock hard in the toe, almost as if they're steel reinforced. Could replace them with rubber soled cop-type shoes.

Based on the replies, I think I'll shop for a pair of good dress shoes. The wrinkle is I'll want an orthodic lift. That might be easiest on a pair constructed the old fashioned way. Will bring the Florsheims in to see if they can be glued, and use them as a backup. The Bass never fit real well with the orthodic lift in place.

So that's that! Will learn to maintain & polish on these. I almost never wear shoes which is how they got so neglected. On a side note, I have a leather jeweler's loupe case from the 1960s that's gone completely dry and brittle and started to tear. Tried the oil on it, and it started falling apart by itself. That's the kind of damage I wanted to avoid.

Thanks!

Are the Sketchers really that bad? I've used them with Dockers and the like when work dictates no jeans & sneakers, though I haven't had a day like that in 7 years. Don't mind replacing them--they're rock hard in the toe, almost as if they're steel reinforced. Could replace them with rubber soled cop-type shoes.

The downfall of the Sketchers is the clunky *** sole. It was cool for younger kids in the late 1990's/early 2000's, but doesn't look good on anyone over 21. The overall style of the shoe isn't offensive, just that sole. As strop said, they would do good as knockaround shoes for yard work or other stuff. Sketchers does make steel toes, so they may very well be reinforced, making them extra well suited for that role. But not with khakis, yuck. Get some nice brown wingtip bluchers or chukka boots for that role.

If shoes are in decent shape, I'll drop them off at the salvation army bin or bring them to goodwill. If not, I toss them.

Based on the replies, I think I'll shop for a pair of good dress shoes. The wrinkle is I'll want an orthodic lift. That might be easiest on a pair constructed the old fashioned way. Will bring the Florsheims in to see if they can be glued, and use them as a backup. The Bass never fit real well with the orthodic lift in place.

So that's that! Will learn to maintain & polish on these. I almost never wear shoes which is how they got so neglected.
Thanks!

As you're going to be in the market for new dress shoes, I'll put in my plug for Allen Edmonds. Try to find an outlet store near if at all possible. Alternatively, go into a regular retailer and get fitted. Try on a bunch of models. AE uses several last with different foot shapes, and that sometimes affects the fit. Once you know what models you like, check out eBay. I've purchased three pairs of AE there. My best deal was a pair that, judging from the lack of creasing on the top and the minimal scuffs on the bottom, someone wore out of the house one time and then sold for $65.
Second piece of advice is to take your shoes out for a spin now and then! Find a reason to wear them once a month. If you're not a big dress shoe guy, I'm supposing you don't wear suits often. Find an AE style that will go well with chinos and a button up shirt and wear them out to dinner. Then polish them up when you get home and you're fine until the next month.

Thanks. Sounds like good advice. I like that AE shows all their lasts. I'm hard to fit, and often end up with stuff that's not very comfortable. Will definitely go to a good retailer because they'll have some options. Hard as it is, it's way more difficult to find sneakers that fit well.

+1 for Allen Edmonds. They make a good shoe, have a lot of styles available, and you can get them at great prices if you are willing to wait on sales.

Counterpoint: throw those LA Milanos and Sketchers out because they are both super ugly and dated nowadays. The Milanos especially. Square toes shoes were a specific trend about 10 years ago. They looked kinda goofy then, and really goofy now.

The Rockports might be dumpster candidates also. If the leather is "furry" I'm guessing they're pretty heavily scuffed. Given that they are cheap shoes and not really fashionable or special in any way, it might be a good idea to start over there.

Other than that, conditioner is your friend. Get some shoe trees too.

+1. Start by selecting the shoes you want to salvage. PIF the others to Salvation Army. Perfect opportunity to reload your shoe wardrobe IMO!

Last edited:
Top Bottom