What's new

Newbie checking in...

Hello all!
Recently decided to try the DE style after decades of disposable/cartridge and a bit of electric, which never gave me a really good shave, but it was good enough. never a DFS or anywhere close to BBS.
To get started, I picked up the cheap Van Der Hagen butterfly razor, with VDH blades, and their shave soap and boar brush.
Not overly impressed, but I'm sure that I just need to learn how to do things like make a decent lather.
It does give me a better shave than disposable/cartridge blades on my face. It's also much easier to get the shave line at the top of the ears and around my goatee much more even than with a cartridge.

So far, my neck is still a problem getting smooth, and I still have stubble on my cheeks. but the sides of my face get a much better shave.
Luckily, I've only nicked myself a few times, so there is hope for me, I think!

My daughter bought me the Battle Brothers MK II Captain's Kit for my upcoming 50th, and I'm excited to try it.

So I'm here to learn the in's and out's of shaving with a DE, and hope to try a straight razor before too long...
And I can see from reading a few posts that this is going to turn from a personal care thing to a hobby!

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. When you get a spare moment have a look through the Shave Wiki. There is lots of great information there that will help to out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B and I hope that you enjoy your journey.

My only regret from starting traditional wet shaving was that I didn't first start with a straight razor.

With what you have, I would suggest:
  • Don't chase BBS results, just work on your technique to get better quality shaves.
  • Don't change any of your hardware until you are getting good shaves with what you've got.
  • Once you feel that you have your technique pretty much right, then you can start experimenting with different blades and even different razors to see if you can improve the results.
As soon as you can, get into the Straight Razor section of B&B and consider learning that gentlemanly art.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hello all!
Recently decided to try the DE style after decades of disposable/cartridge and a bit of electric, which never gave me a really good shave, but it was good enough. never a DFS or anywhere close to BBS.
To get started, I picked up the cheap Van Der Hagen butterfly razor, with VDH blades, and their shave soap and boar brush.
Not overly impressed, but I'm sure that I just need to learn how to do things like make a decent lather.
It does give me a better shave than disposable/cartridge blades on my face. It's also much easier to get the shave line at the top of the ears and around my goatee much more even than with a cartridge.

So far, my neck is still a problem getting smooth, and I still have stubble on my cheeks. but the sides of my face get a much better shave.
Luckily, I've only nicked myself a few times, so there is hope for me, I think!

My daughter bought me the Battle Brothers MK II Captain's Kit for my upcoming 50th, and I'm excited to try it.

So I'm here to learn the in's and out's of shaving with a DE, and hope to try a straight razor before too long...
And I can see from reading a few posts that this is going to turn from a personal care thing to a hobby!
Lol, it is a hobby to me now, and it's one of the cheapest ones, if you don't go chasing after all the "latest and greatest!" Welcome to the best place on the interwebs my friend.

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you read through the Wiki and watch a few videos to help get you started!

Welcome to B&B from the UK. Your shaves will get better just using the gear you've got, and after a while you will be in a position to know what better stuff to get.

Top Bottom